Home

Do you want KOTOR to go next-gen?

Emperor Devon

Personally, I'm against it. The KOTOR grphics engine is okay, and could use some improvement in the textures, but it's fine apart from that. Not to mention how the previous two games have used the same engine... using a next-generation one would seem rather out of place, and if they scrap the D20 system (I'm for keeping it), it just won't feel like KOTOR at all.

Thoughts?

Hell yeah they shoudl go next gen...

The engine can stay the same...or use a similar, like the Jade Empire engine.

Most PC's have already surpassed the X-Box 360 in power, (Call of Duty 2 looks worse on the X-Box 360 then on PC) and you want Kotor 3 to be X-Box game?

With all the respect, the engine was good in 1998, but we live in 2005!

I think they should really do something about the rubbish: Collision Detection (standing in walls), the graphics (adapted for X-Box, so they are ugly), the lenght of gameplay.

PS: I think Mass Effect uses a similar engine too...and that game is awesome...

Personally, I'm against it. The KOTOR grphics engine is okay, and could use some improvement in the textures, but it's fine apart from that. Not to mention how the previous two games have used the same engine... using a next-generation one would seem rather out of place, and if they scrap the D20 system (I'm for keeping it), it just won't feel like KOTOR at all.

Thoughts?

Exactly!

Besides, if it does go next-gen it'll play havoc with modding as we'll have to use separate sets of tools, development of K1 and TSL tools will stop so priority will switch to the KIII tools...

Also, learning an unfamiliar engine again is hardly fun, and there is nothing wrong with the graphics!

They're a damn sight good enough to make a good game with.

I prefer having a solid storyline, more dialogue and role play options over pretty graphics but I think that they will certainly go next gen.

If they were following that logic, we would still be playing games on a commodore 64 and the like (the good thing is that we wouldn't need those pricey graphic gards). They want to appeal to a new audience too, not just the old fans. They already got criticized for the outdated graphics in K2...

Unfortunately, making this game easy to mod is not part of their plans.

Hell yeah they shoudl go next gen...

The engine can stay the same...or use a similar, like the Jade Empire engine.

Most PC's have already surpassed the X-Box 360 in power, (Call of Duty 2 looks worse on the X-Box 360 then on PC) and you want Kotor 3 to be X-Box game?

If you like Jade Empire then play it and what's wrong with the XBox? I'm happy with it and I'm certainly not going to spend $200+ for the 360.

I think they should really do something about the rubbish: Collision Detection (standing in walls), the graphics (adapted for X-Box, so they are ugly), the lenght of gameplay.

So what if we live in 2005. Just because it's new and improved doesn't mean that it's always better. Besides, I like the original game engine. I play both for PC and Xbox and at times my Xbox runs smoother than my brand new PC. Personally I find it amusing to have Bao-dur's remote float right where his head is. Mostly I would rather see improvement on length of gameplay.

I think there is no doubt that any future KotOR game will be built for a next-gen console. I'm pretty sure I've stated this in other threads but why would any game developer/publisher release new games for outdated consoles? Does anyone know of any developer that plans to release titles for the XBox only now that the XBOX 360 is in the marketplace? None that I've heard of. Sales of games for the PS2 and GameCube are also going to go down because gamers using those consoles are going to wait for the PS3 and the Revolution so they can take advantage of the higher performing hardware.

So IMO, it's not a question of whether or not the next KotOR will be released for a next generation console. It's a question of what kind of programmatic changes will be made to the next KotOR to accommodate as well as take advantage of the new multi-processor consoles. I don't think we can expect the next KotOR before the end of 2006 and the next gen consoles will all be in full swing by then. If LA does indeed have KotOR 3 in the works then they are already planning to release it on a next gen console (and hopefully for PC too ;) ).

Truthfully, I really don't care, although the animations and some cinematics should improve (as well as the textures I have to agree with that). The only thing that I think is required with this engine is: More and bigger areas and more interaction with the enviorment. If they make these two even with the same engine; I am happy.

I prefer having a solid storyline, more dialogue and role play options over pretty graphics but I think that they were certainly go next gen.

Well, they will give us a solid storyline, more dialogue and role play options. Be it Bioware or Obsidian, we will get it, no matter what engine it is.

They already got criticized for the outdated graphics in K2...

I don't think that it's outdated, it looks nice if you ask me. But now that I think of it... KOTOR 1 did look better in small amounts. Must be because of the rush.

So IMO, it's not a question of whether or not the next KotOR will be released for a next generation console.

If they do, then they should be boycotted. I am getting really mad with the fact that they are making everything for consoles while not giving PC users the pleasure.

K3 Definitely needs a new graphics engine, the K1 engine is pretty outdated. They can stick with the basic gameplay mechanics, dialogs, quests, combat, ect. That part of the game wouldn't need too much work to intruduce a new graphics engine.

Fundimentally KotOR is a graphically upgraded NWN, the modding aspects between the games isn't that much different. So if we did get a new graphics engine the only part of modding that would be severely set back would likey only be the modeling side. Besides figuring out how everything works is part of the fun of modding.

As long as the basic gameplay isn't changed a new engine would be welcome.

I would like much better graphics for KOTOR 3 - however saying that, I am not really expecting or wanting graphics on a par with the Unreal 3 engine if it will mean a detriment to gameplay. The graphics in KOTOR 2 are not that bad (I personally think they are better that Price of Persia 3), but I get a bit tired with games that just use the same graphics continously (for 2 games in a row, thats fine, 3 is pushing it, especially if the 3rd is released a few years down the line). I would also like to see (as already stated) a much more vibrant, and interactive environment, as well as each map being much much larger - think of sizes larger than the original Deus Ex. This may mean developing the game more for a PC than a console. The RPG element is fine at the moment I think - although I would like to see more Force Powers and attack moves - like NWN. Also, I know that this is a serious longshot (and really early to ask) - but do you think that their will be any possibility of a toolset such as the Aurora NWN toolset for KOTOR 3?

That is all I can think of at the moment, and I apologise for going more into a wishlist than only graphical wishes :).

@ Jm12:

Duh :s off course the storyline goes first. But the thread is about: Do you want to see Kotor 3 next gen. T3-m3 won't become a toaster in K3 :s

But i was talking about graphics.

If you us e terminal, look at the animation >< you see your hands floating in air...

Also, the collision detection (walking through wallas etc) could be better.

And yes, Jade Empire is good. But Jade Empie uses an even further improved Kotor engine.

I never said you have to buy the X-360 :s and face it:

You wouldn't play Halo if it was 16-bit, would you? Kotor 1 & 2 use the Oddesey Engine, and it's old. It has to be replaced, maybe by the new Mass Effect engine? That one looked fine..

well, technically they could just add features to the current graphics engine, like support for Shader 3.0, real-mapping (the game already supports bump-mapping, although it wasn't put to much use), and support for much higher resolution textures. the difference would be putting them to use and streamlining the 3D engine code so things run much faster.

but it would probably be much easier to take the current RPG-enigine and add that to an existing next-gen 3D engine like the Unreal 3 engine.

just my two pennies. ;)

I beg to differ. I still enjoy the old Infinity Engine games, and wouldn't even hesitate for a second to buy a new game made in 2006 that had that style of game play or graphics as long as the story and game were very similar to those games.

In other words, I don't buy this "it's 2005, not year X" argument because what makes a RPG a great game is the story, gameplay and characters. Not the graphics.

Archived