Home

What Utilities Do You Use?

MdKnightR

I hope this hasn't been posted before. My subscription for Norton Systemworks Premiere 2005 and Norton Firewall is about to run out and I am considering switching to iolo System Mechanic, which is now in version 6. I was wondering if I could get some guidance on the issue of system utilities and firewall software from the experts here in my favorite forum ;) . Any thoughts or suggestions?

well, i use a mixture of free programs, all of which i found on http://www.download.com.

Anti-Virus- AVG Free

Anti-Sypare/Adware- Ad-Aware SE & Microsoft AntiSpyware

Firewall- ZoneAlarm

and yes, all of these programs work just as well or better than the tools on Norton SystemWorks. my only gripe is that the AVG scanner is really slow compared to Norton, but it gets the job done.

hope that helps. :)

Oh! Great! Another tech thread.

I am just going to try and ignore this thing before I get called ignorant, a hypocrite and so for using some ancient software. And get a lot of bashing that I 'Pick software and opinions from any man on the street' and that I 'Endanger everyone here because I use bad software'.

If I hear any of that directed towards me, I'll report that person with the threatening yellow button called: "Report Bad Post".

It was about time I said that.

well, i use a mixture of free programs, all of which i found on http://www.download.com.

Anti-Virus- AVG Free

Firewall- ZoneAlarm

Listen to him! The man knows what he's talking about. hehe

AGV is good. I'v been using it for over a year and can't see going back to norton.

Ad-Aware is good, too. I also like Spybot. They pick up different things sometimes, so you get a little bit better protection. Though the number of files found has seriously gone down since I swithced to FireFox.

Wow, seems to be a general consensus here about the issue so far. I haven't heard of most of those programs. The ones mentioned primarily protect from malicious items, but I need to know what to use for disk defragmenting, disk scanning, disk cloning, etc. I did like the way Norton did those things, and I have been fairly pleased with Systemworks for years, but I don't want to fork out another $70 to renew my subscription to the whole shebang.

Has anyone used System Mechanic at all that can give me any clue as to its performance? I bought it yesterday because Wal-mart had it for about half the price of what it goes for everywhere else, but I haven't opened the box yet so I can still take it back if it turns out it was a bad investment.

I use Water Works and the Electric Company. If I'm lucky enough to get all the Railroads, I'm a dangerous man.

but seriously, I use a hardware firewall and SpyBot S&D, then occasionally do a sweep with NAV. I'm also a Firefox and GMail user, so my spyware/virus instances are pretty rare anymore.

Oh! Great! Another tech thread.

I am just going to try and ignore this thing before I get called ignorant, a hypocrite and so for using some ancient software. And get a lot of bashing that I 'Pick software and opinions from any man on the street' and that I 'Endanger everyone here because I use bad software'.

If I hear any of that directed towards me, I'll report that person with the threatening yellow button called: "Report Bad Post".

It was about time I said that.

Vlad, you should have ignore this thing and just not posted in the first place :p

When I see a thread that may potentially be unsavoury, I just (try to) stay away :p

mtfbwya

Anti-Virus- AVG Free

Firewall- ZoneAlarm

and yes, all of these programs work just as well or better than the tools on Norton SystemWorks. my only gripe is that the AVG scanner is really slow compared to Norton, but it gets the job done.

hope that helps. :)

you use avg

I use avast its loads better than AVG plus its free

but it also has a enterprise edition which thier site explains why the home edition is free also has a linux version :cool:

for spyware programs I use Ad-aware SE/spybot/pest-patrol (this one is perks of my job) :D

firewall a hardware firewall and zone alarm

Thanks for the link! Can someone post links to the other utilities mentioned so far? Or are they readily available from Download.com?

Most can be found on Download.com.

For AGV antivirus- go here http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Grisoft is the company that makes it, if you were wondering.

What does everyone think of Avast? Is is better/worse/the same as AGV?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the advice guys! I decided to go with Zone Alarm and AVG Anti-virus. So far I am pleased. AVG found 5 viruses on my system that had gotten past Norton!

=_=" Avast PWNS AVG

I've used both and avast does stuff avg doesn't do and its more through than both avg and norton

here is what avast does other than what Avg does

Internet Mail:

- Scan outbound mail [sMTP]

- Scan inbound mail [POP3]

- Scan inbound mail [iMAP]

- Scan inbound news [NNTP]

- Scan outbound news [NNTP]

- Heuristic sensitivity: medium

Instant Messengers:

- MSN Messenger

- Trillian Messenger

Network Shield:

- Show messages

Outlook:

- Scan inbound and outbound mail

- Scan unread messages on open

- Heuristic sensitivity: medium

P2P Shield:

- Kazaa & KazaaLite

- Direct Connect

- Direct Connect++

Filesystem:

- Scan selected files on write

- Scan selected files on open

thats all done in the back ground

also you should get both spybot search and distroy and adaware SE

and use them both they spybot catches stuff adaware doesn't and adaware catches stuff spybot doesn't

oh and Avast catches pesky Adware, Spyware, and Malware before it gets to your pc (only the most dangerous ones though)

Archived