Home

FIFA 2006 World Cup in Germany

lukeiamyourdad

Hey, since the NFL and NHL have their threads and since we do have lots of non-Americans and non-Canadians here, we should have our own thread about the beautiful game.

Oh, and in case of, if you don't like soccer/football, don't post.

So, just this afternoon, we got the list of the various groups of the group stage of the next World Cup:

Group A

Germany

Costa-Rica

Poland

Ecuador

Group B

England

Paraguay

Trinidad & Tobago

Sweden

Group C

Argentina

Côte d'Ivoire

Serbia & Montenegro

Netherlands

Group D

Mexico

Iran

Angola

Portugal

Group E

Italy

Ghana

USA

Cezch Republic

Group F

Brazil

Croatia

Australia

Japan

Group G

France

Switzerland

Korean Republic

Togo

Group H

Spain

Ukraine

Tunisia

Saudi Arabia

This wouldn't be much of a discussions without starting comments.

Group A: Germany faces virtually no opposition here. They should get through easily.

Group B: It seems quite easy for England too but Paraguay and Sweden are not to be underestimated.

Group C: All I can say is Serbia must be crying right now :D Côte d'Ivoire is on the rise, Argentina is legendary but I'm not sure they're going to have it easy, especially with the mighty Netherlands.

Group D: Mexico and Portugal are favorites. Angole might surprise, Iran has no chance.

Group E: Bloody hell, that's the biggest group. Ghana is pretty good and it will face big names like Italy and the Cezch Republic.

I do secretly hope the US gets eliminated during the group stage. The day they stop spitting on the beautiful game, maybe that's when I'll accept them.

Anyway, NEDVED RULES!

Group F: Brazil. nuff said

Group G: France seems like it's going to qualify easily, but we know how France can be so horrible at times. Time will tell.

Group H: It will be interesting to see if Spain can hold up. They had some difficulties during the qualifying stages.

Ukraine should be in too since well, Shevchenko.

Saudi Arabia only got qualified because they paid people with the profits they get from their oil. I suspect humiliating defeats for them.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's slightly off topic, but is anybody else sad that Manchester United can't play in the UEFA Cup?

I'm quite sad. I was sitting at the coffee house with my friend watching the game and I was totally bummed out.

Anyway, they didn't really deserve it. I mean, they did lose against Lille. LILLE!

The US can't go all the way. Same with Canada. They can't compete at all. The should stick to hockey and the other football.

The US team ain't half bad, but the thing is people in the US don't seem to care about the game as much as other places. Same goes for Canada. That's kind of why I don't want either of those countries to have success.

I play soccer very often and sometimes, we can get insulted by hockey/football lovers for no reasons.

Worst thing is, soccer people don't insult hockey or football.

So if the US loses in the first round, can we execute all the soccer moms in this country?

Hell, can we do it in the unlikely case they go all the way?

Yeah, it would be a good idea. Unless the USA stops spitting on soccer.

I always get really mad when they can kick it two hundred feet, and I can kick it one hundred if it's on a tee. Love playing it.

Actually, they use super light balls. Those balls are absolutely amazing.

I had the pleasure to play with one of them and it's so light I can't feel it on my feet when I dribble. It becomes annoying though when you try to receive a pass and it just bounces very far away.

The standard balls aren't as bouncy or light. That's why we(normal folks without money to buy a 100$ ball) can't kick it that far.

at last a football thread (soccer in american), i am originally with Spain, but right now they are sucks and they wont be able to do a thing especially after Raul and Xavi were out, Chezch rules, they do have some difficalities but they are good, still the fantastic Nedved wont be played in the WC, and there is England, they have a great midfild with Beckham, Lampard and Gerard, still they dont have subtitues, at last we have Brazil; well i wont be saying anything about them.

I've been playing footbal (soccer) since the age of 5, and i can insure you guys that we Dutch have a big fan-base here. It's abnormal, serious. When 'we' play, around 5-10 milion people are watching. That's in a country of 16 million people ^^

But we are screwed in the poule-fase.

'Our' coach plays attractive, offensive football. We only have 1 problem:

If a team goes defensive, like Cervia Montenegro probably will do, we are scrwed bigtime. Also, Ivory Coast is the best team of Africa, and don't forget: They have Drogba, Kalou, an Toure! Also, Argentina is always hard. (I hope 'we' will pwn them like in '98).

But there's one good thing about it:

If we should survive the 'Group of Death' we will face some 'weaker' nations.

btw: Without Robben, we suck...and i think the defenders of other teams know that too....

I've played against his old club btw...but that doesn't matter for now..

I hope England kicks the crap out of those damn swedes.

Booo !!!!! Take out Michael Owen, and Id be happy for the English Team to die in a horrific jello accident :p Especially that freakin showpony David Beckham... :blast5:

Wow...I cant believe how easy some of the major teams seem to have it, With the new system they have - gone are the days when you can get England, Germany and Italy in the same group... :p

My money is on Brazil :) Though Id like to see Italy and spain do well, to keep my Italian & Spanish friends from whinin like schoolgirls :p

Australia got Brazil hehehe :)

cripes, I hope Serbia and Croatia dont end up in a playoff :(

mtfbwya

still the fantastic Nedved wont be played in the WC

Eh, who knows, he might decide to join at the last moment. *crosses fingers

But we are screwed in the poule-fase.

I don't know. My money for Group C is on the Dutch. African teams have lots of discipline problems and they lack the experience on the international stage that the Dutch have.

The greatest opponent would be Argentina and I hate Argentina. Why? Because they can't get decent haircuts. It's 2005 people! You all look like disco stars!.

Whaha :p

That's true though...they look the same like they did in 1978 (don't quote me on this) when the 'hand of god' made them win the tournament ><

Although 'we' pwned Argentina in 1998, i've watched the youth EC in Holland this year, and witnessed Messi's breakthrough. THAT GUY IS ABNORMAL

He just...owns all expreienced defenders of all clubs, while he's only 18 yeras old :s

I really think the Dutch will have a hard time defeating Argentina..

Ow ffs...i just remembered i betted with someone today, that if Holland would beat Argentina, i have to paint my hair orange ><

why hating Beckham???????????????

he might be handsom but this is no reason...he was great with Man Utd, but he did not play well in REAL MADRID, but what the hell? everybody in Real Madrid is playing sucks, in addition that he was playing in a defferent role....if you saw him with RM in the first games of the season, you will notice that he is great, most of Real goals this year are coming after his passes.

I don't like Beckham either but thats more because of the way he struts beside the field. In truth he is still a very talented player. He can give a pass of over 30 meters right in the feet of his teammate, that's just world class. And with other player like Lampard, Gerard and Rooney, England is looking very promesing.

The Dutch have as allways a great team and can go pretty far as well (as long as they don't have to kick some penalties of couse :p, sorry Ztalker I couldn't resist...)

According to my brother USA is also looking good and I believe him. He is probably more obsessed with sports and soccer in particular than I am with Star Wars.

But remember that the last big soccer tournament, EC 2004 was won by the team nobody expected to win (Greece). So we'll just have to see.

Booo !!!!! Take out Michael Owen, and Id be happy for the English Team to die in a horrific jello accident :p Especially that freakin showpony David Beckham... :blast5:

I don't like England either, but they're the only team slotted against the damn swedes I have any care for.

My money is on Brazil :) Though Id like to see Italy and spain do well

As do I, I like both those teams.

cripes, I hope Serbia and Croatia dont end up in a playoff :(

Boom? :p

*statement: Killing Palpatine_dc will be a pleasure...*

No, your absolutely right :p

Penalties are not out thing indeed... *remembers Holland-Italy in 2000*

But we now have a new team, without the guys missing the panalties back then.

The new team is to young to worry about the past. That's also a bad thing, off course.

But at least we got rid of Seedorf and Kluivert and the retarded twin brothers *shudders*

Seedorf said he should be selected for the Dutch team, because he plays way better then the guys standing there now. He is just an arrogant sunofa***.

Sorry for me constantly talking about my own country...

I think America can do some serious damage too. They do have some talanted great players, like Beasley, O'Brien etc. I don't think they will end first in the poule, but i realy think they can battle for the second place very well. They do have the luck that Cezch Republic is missing Nedved, and that Italy is halfway in the process of developing a young team. I seriously America can make a stand.

Now about the Beckham case:

The guy is talented indeed. The other day, my soccer coach said that a team should try to play in a technical way over the ground, not giving long passes to the strikers. But with Beckham, you actually can. I think he is one of the factors that can provide a goal or two in a match.

And we aren't talking about hios a-social extravagant life style here, aye?

I wouldn't care if he entered the field with a Afro-look :s

.....But with Beckham, you actually can. I think he is one of the factors that can provide a goal or two in a match.

And we aren't talking about hios a-social extravagant life style here, aye?

I wouldn't care if he entered the field with a Afro-look :s

been watching the previous world cups or euros ?? why is it that England just cant manage against quality opposition in crunch matches. In 2002 Brazil showed England why their 1960s long ball game is just so antiquated. Quite simply, they need a south american coach to maximise some of those great players skills.

mtfbwya

Archived