Home

FIFA 2006 World Cup in Germany

lukeiamyourdad

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they will end first in the poule, but i realy think they can battle for the second place very well. They do have the luck that Cezch Republic is missing Nedved, and that Italy is halfway in the process of developing a young team. I seriously America can make a stand.

They can battle, but they'll fail. Why? Because Nedved will come! No matter what he says right now.

He will come...he will come...Nedved will come...Nedved will come...

He must come...he must...Nedved...

They can battle, but they'll fail. Why? Because Nedved will come! No matter what he says right now.

He will come...he will come...Nedved will come...Nedved will come...

He must come...he must...Nedved...

must...not...give in...to easy joke...

I hope Ukraine wins Group H but I have no expectation of them getting any farther than that. I couldn't care less about the rest of the teams for the most part....it would be neat to see the US team win it all, but I don't exactly have an emotional investment in it.

I got to see Morocco vs. Saudi Arabia at WC94 here in the US...it was a bizarre experience, but a hell of a lot of fun. After many may hours of FIFA soccer on Sega Genesis it was awesome to see a match of that caliber in person.

@ Astrotoy 7: It's not Beckham to blame. Most English clubs have more foreigners then English players. That's the reason they have a sucky goalkeeper.

it's also the reason why Belgium is weak now. There's a club there that has 2 Belgium players, and the rest are foreigners.

I think that weakens the development of young players.

And that's the power of Brazil. They do invest in their own players, thus being a strong football team.

...it's also the reason why Belgium is weak now. There's a club there that has 2 Belgium players, and the rest are foreingers.

Yep that should be SK Beveren. Last year their regular team counted 9 players from Ivory Coast, and 1 or 2 Belgians. Still those players were technically very talented but lack of dicipline. After about 75 minutes in a game most of them are all worn out.

I'm Belgian, I have to say they deserved not to qualifie this time, for the fist time since 1980. But I wouldn't say our national selection is weak, more like in transition. We have a couple of very talented young players like Vincent Company and Anthony Vandenborre, but they miss expierience.

As for England, I think they are outsiders for the title. This team has only improved in the last years gaining some very good players.

Yep that should be SK Beveren. Last year their regular team counted 9 players from Ivory Coast, and 1 or 2 Belgians. Still those players were technically very talented but lack of dicipline. After about 75 minutes in a game most of them are all worn out.

Yeah, Africans are known for their lack of discipline. That's a problem with pretty much every African team right now.

Still, looks like Belgium is training the next generation of Côte d'Ivoire players :D

• 5 months later...

Über Bump!

Yes kids, in two days, the World Cup starts. I've been waiting four years for this. It has finally come. Now, I need to stay alive and get to the bar on friday afternoon in one piece. Germany will play against Costa Rica and Poland against Ecuador. I'll be drunk at 4:00 pm on a Friday Afternoon :p Well, the party has to start sometime now eh?

Well, here are the team rosters:

(Scroll down a bit)

http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/2006worldcup/

Oh, and Nedved will come! Yay!

Anyway, what are you bets for each group now that the rosters have been announced and the World Cup is coming?

Mine are:

Group A:

1. Germany

2. I seriously don't know...but because my friend is from Poland, I'll say Poland :p

Group B:

1. England

2. Sweden

Group C:

1. Holland

2. Ivory Coast

(because I hate Argentina, I want them to cry like little girls when Holland and Ivory Coast destroy them)

Group D:

1. Mexico

2. Portugal

Group E:

1. Czech Republic

2. USA

(Italia will get a few red cards for practicing their favorite sport: diving. No offense to any italian posters)

Groupe F:

1. Brazil

2. Australia

Group G:

1. South Korea

2. Switzerland

(France will cry again. Zidane's back eh? Well it doesn't matter!)

Group H:

1. Andriy Shevchenko and his 10 pawns

2. Spain

(Only because Saudi Arabia sucks and Tunisia, well, they could go far, but my money's on Spain)

I'm not too keen on football (yes that's right FOOTBALL - use foot to kick ball, american football, it's a version of Rugby but with lame ass padding 'n' *@!$) anyways I'll support my country, watch it get drunk aswell. haa the wonders of British football hooligans.

and I apologise for the out-burst.

Let's keep the bashing other sports to a minimum... ok? -RH

i'd bet on the exact same teams as you'd do.

I agree with the France-note you wrote down. Although Zidane is very good, he can't make a difference. And the team is overall pretty old. Not that that's a negative thing, but it might be wise to let 'new meat' deal with it...

No offense, i like the French team. But the shouldn't build on 'the old guys' imo.

Your side note about Italia is also very true...the Fifa gave specific instructions to referees regarding diving, didn't they? If they let Pipo Inzaghi play, he'll have 2 yellow cards in less then 5 minutes :xp:

Italia has some serious talented players though...

I agree with all, but 1 thing...

I don't think the Dutch will destroy Argentina...Rafael Van Der Vaart (Hamburger SV) and Wesley Sneijder (Ajax) both have injuries, but they are vital players. Also, Robben is out of shape. He makes more dives then actions...

And the defense is a total mess. They aren't used to playing together at all. The left wing defender (Kromkamp) hasn't even played at Liverpool this year!

On top of that, the coach let Huntelaar (Top scorer of Holland) at home, for Vennegoor (PSV), a player who...doesnt have a function, realy..he;s just a strong header :s

The situation get's worse...the coach has even summoned two guys from the <21 team, to compensate for the possible lose of two vital players. I don't see those 'kids' beat Veron for example, to be honest...

I think (sorry, luke ><) that Argentina will be the strongest...in that poule, followed by Ivory Coast...

Kromkamp did play. I watched quite a few Liverpool games and he was playing :)

I agree that Robben has been diving a lot lately. Heh, well...

I still want Holland to beat Argentina. I just can't stand them...

Hey, my predictions and wishes often come true :) Look at Nedved. He came!

Oh kay, here are my stars:

Numero Uno: Germany

Numero Dos: Ivory Coast (They can do a Senegal this time)

Numero Tres: France/Argentina

I'm anti-Brazil, but a sinking feeling inside me tells me that they're going to win and deliver a humiliating defeat, too.

@ Luke:

Hmm...i didn't realise he played that much. I think i recall him saying he didn't play as much as he expected. And he had to go in pre-training, even before the preperation, to get on the righ conditional level...

But if he played, like you said, he muct have learned very, very much...England is one of the hardest football-countries after all, and Holland one of the softest...imo.

I agree with Commander Obi-Wan, Sabretooth and Luke too. I've seen some interviews and reports about the German team, and they are quit...strong actually. They now have creative players, surrounded by much more experienced players. Ballack, Sweinsteiger, Saignol...and of course, they have two of the best goalkeepers of the world with Kahn and Lehman.

We will see...tomorrow actually :xp:

Numero Uno: Germany

Numero Dos: Ivory Coast (They can do a Senegal this time)

Numero Tres: France/Argentina

Under different circumstances I would think Ivory Coast would have a great chance of going far, with Droga and the two Arsenal defenders in Eboue and Toure, but they are, in all fairness, in the group of death with Argentina and Holland. It's a shame because I think they have real talent but those two teams are going to pose a great threat and you can't imagine a World Cup with either team falling by the wayside so early. IMHO Group C will be the most interesting.

Archived