Home

FIFA 2006 World Cup in Germany

lukeiamyourdad

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should say yes, since i'll be wearing my orange shirt, hat, inflatable glove, flag tommorow, while watching it at the local pub...

But i don't know...Serbia can be quit...bitchy. They play very defensively, with some pretty dangerous strikers to counter. I don't know of the Dutch can play proper against such an opponent.

I hope so....

I know it's slightly off topic, but is anybody else sad that Manchester United can't play in the UEFA Cup?

Isn't the UEFA cup all the european countries playing? (like England, Netherlands, Czech Republic, etc.) not clubs?

Also, the two Costa Rican goals would have not taken place, that Kahn replaced that stick-for-a-goalkeeper Lehmann.

Oliver Kahns' retiring, and Lehmann is supposedly a good goalkeeper.

Isn't the UEFA cup all the european countries playing? (like England, Netherlands, Czech Republic, etc.) not clubs?

No...because every international 'nation' match is being done by the Fifa. Since this one is called Uefa, it isn't. It's an international tournament with all the teams that didn't get to play Champions League. The Champions, like the name says, is for the teams that have won the regular competition in their country, and sometimes 1-2 more teams depending on the strenght of the competition.

The same goes for the ueafe Cup, but then for the teams below the Champions League ones.

For example, this is the way it works in holland:

Nr tournament

1 Uefa Champions League (before 1995 called the Europe Cup1)

2 Champions League Qualifiers

3 Uefa Cup (before 1995 called the Europe Cup 2)

4 Uefa cup

5 Uefa Cup Qualifiers

The teams below ca

n write themselves in for the Intertoto Competition.

@ Topic:

TRINIDAD TO OWN!!

They took revenge on the critics that said they were a laugh. They did play well, and held their own with 10 man against 11 of Sweden.

if you'd bet 1 Euro on Trinidad at a gambling office, you'd get 1001 Euro's in return :xp:

OK, I'm going to toss in the dumb question of the day, and I'm not slamming soccer/football, I really want to know....

What is it about soccer that gets everyone excited? It's starting to be a bigger kids sport here, but I've never seen a good pro game, so I don't know what it is that makes it so fun to watch.

No...because every international 'nation' match is being done by the Fifa. Since this one is called Uefa, it isn't. It's an international tournament with all the teams that didn't get to play Champions League. The Champions, like the name says, is for the teams that have won the regular competition in their country, and sometimes 1-2 more teams depending on the strenght of the competition.

The same goes for the ueafe Cup, but then for the teams below the Champions League ones.

For example, this is the way it works in holland:

Nr tournament

1 Uefa Champions League (before 1995 called the Europe Cup1)

2 Champions League Qualifiers

3 Uefa Cup (before 1995 called the Europe Cup 2)

4 Uefa cup

5 Uefa Cup Qualifiers

The teams below ca

n write themselves in for the Intertoto Competition.

@ Topic:

TRINIDAD TO OWN!!

They took revenge on the critics that said they were a laugh. They did play well, and held their own with 10 man against 11 of Sweden.

if you'd bet 1 Euro on Trinidad at a gambling office, you'd get 1001 Euro's in return :xp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA

?

the countries play, not the clubs like Manchester United or Bayern Munchen, etc.

@Jae, the FIFA World Cup is the biggest tournament in the world since alot of countries go and try-out and only 32 pull thru to the tournament. Football is fun. Football is big. don't know what else to say.

it doesnt get me excited, not one bit. i would much rather be playin gfootball tahn watching it, and even then i'd end up leaving the court and going to climb some trees. ( i have often been scorned for that whilst playing with friend sdown the park). But, i really couldnt find anything else to do today,a s it was stupidly warm, and if you went outside you couldn't go no further than 100 yards before needing a drink. perfect solution=

what you doin?

watching the game... having a bud...:xp:

the countries play, not the clubs like Manchester United or Bayern Munchen, etc.

Okay....i live in Holland myself, and you trust an on-line site that can be changed by every visitor.

Again, i'll explain...

We have 3 major tournaments here in Europe. Two of them take place every year, for REGULAR CLUBS like Bayern München, Ajax, Manchester United and the lot. These two tournaments are called the:

Uefa Champions League

Ueafe Cup

Then, once in the 4 years, we have the European Championship, featuring every European country.

With all the respect, i wouldn't trust an on-line encyclopedia...

@Topic:

What did you think about Argentina - Ivory Coast?

I think Argentina deserved to win, without question...they played the game so well, both tactitcal and technical, and Ivory Coast couldn't hope to win.

Meh. England - Paraguay was boring. I quit watching some ten minutes after the goal. Seriously, both teams were playing horribly. What got into them?

Argentina - Ivory Coast was far more interesting and it was good to see Argie take some deserved wins. Ivory played well, too and have excellent talent.

lolz.

England played rubbish in that game against Paraguay.

I cant wait for them to happen across a decent team. Despite the rest of the world having moved onto quicker, skillful, one touch posession football, England seems to be quite happy to revert to the ole long ball and "knock it and run" game, supplemented by Beckham posing everytime he kicks a free kick.. That damn stupid look of concentration on his face, you'd think he is piloting the spaceshuttle through re-entry... and that own goal.....ridiculous. bah !

My money's on Brazil, of course.

Good to see the likes of Ecuador putting in a good show too.

mtfbwya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA

?

Yeah...try to contradict soccer fans. The UEFA does overlook the Euro. It isn't called FIFA Euro "year", it's UEFA Euro "year".

It also takes care of the Champion's league and the UEFA Cup, as Ztalker said.

Anyway, back on topic...

Argentina deserved to win, but Cote d'Ivoire didn't do too badly considering they're relative newbies. Oh and screw Argentina...I still hate them.

England didn't play well. After the first goal, they simply didn't do anything. Then again, the referee was wearing a Paraguay jersey...

I could only catch the Mexico-Iran match today. It was pretty fun and I'm glad Mexico won.

Finally, I'd like to spend a moment to laugh at Poland and Sweden. :lol:

YAAAAY!!

the US have been TOTALLY dissed on da face :D

amazing header by Koller which got the Czechs their first goal. and the other guy, his name escapes me ATM, played awesome too, too bad Koller got pwned in the middle of the game. Damn Americans! anyway, the Czechs played really well and that match rocked

Czech Republic FTW!

It was a total destruction. 5 shots, 3 goals. Simply amazing football by the Czech. They played incredibly well whenever they were attacking. Koller did a good job, but it seems like he has a hamstring injury. A huge blow, but if Baros can get back, it should be fine. I hope Koller's World Cup isn't over.

Tomas Rosicky was amazing. His first goal was a beauty from 25 yards. His second, with the help of Pavel Nedved was also great.

A sour note though, as the US fans were booing Plasil for "faking" after a bad tackle from Claudio Reyna that lead to a yellow card for the US captain. The tackle was bad, he didn't go for the ball, but for the player. The yellow card was well deserved. Before anyone says that the referee was pro-Czech, he gave 4 yellow cards to the Czech vs only 2 for the US.

Frankly, this is what happens to countries that hate soccer: they get humiliated by a country that does love soccer. I still hope the best for the US team. They should get second place. Why? So they can face Brazil's wrath. I respect the US players, great talent. I don't respect the view of a majority of americans towards the beautiful sport and until the USA starts loving the sport, they don't even deserve to be there. My personal opinion. Anyway, if Italy gets second place, I'll still be happy. They'll get trashed by Brazil and every annoying Italian here will shut up. They're usually nice folks, but when soccer fever hits them, you'd just like to choke one.

Archived