Home

FIFA 2006 World Cup in Germany

lukeiamyourdad

really? cause i could have sworn they were in offside positions when they got the ball. ah well, maybe my memory's failing me.

i hope Brazil thrash France for defeating Spain, Ronaldo is coming back with a record breaker. i hope he does better in their next match.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smooth sailing by France! France was supposed to be my #1 or #2, but after their horrendous performance in 2002, I had lost hope in them. Two heated match-ups lined up - Germany-Argentina and France-Brazil. I hope France comes back in form and kick ass. Go Zizou!

Although it's horrible, i can find myself in the Argentinan players. The ref's weren't that great *couch* they SUCKED *couch* for them and other teams.

This is the first WC in wich i have the feeling it's all a set-up, to be honest :(

^^^

youre not the only one. i mean, why the hell did Maxi Rodriguez get a yellow card for "diving" ? he was clearly tripped up by the german.

i was expecting argentina to pwn hands down. the replacement goalee SUCKED! and darn Klose for scoring that equaliser :swear:

^^^

EXACTLY!

There are just to many players that get a card for diving while they ARE being hit. The FIFA gave the ref's specific instructions to counter diving, but giving innocent people a yellow card doesn't fit that, imo.

In many matches, it even changed the match completely. We got that penalty for Italia, the crazy match of Portugal-Holland, and not to forget the strange yellow cards all over the place.

I think Colina is sitting raged at his chair at this moment, after having seen those matches.

PS:

Blatter said this was the most succesfull WC ever, while only one 'little' footbal country made it through: Ukraine. I think, this WC was succesfull, in matters of sponsoring and publicity. Not for it's football.

Let football-loving people control the Fifa. Not some money-hungering monster.

Meh. What is done, is done.

It will be Germany v. Italy in the next round.

And as much as we'd like control, it's not going to happen. Generally, the reason why they have the World Cup is because it brings in a ton of revenue and it shows the best teams in the world. And yeah, it brings in money and that's all the matters these days.

Meh. What is done, is done.

It will be Germany v. Italy in the next round.

And as much as we'd like control, it's not going to happen. Generally, the reason why they have the World Cup is because it brings in a ton of revenue and it shows the best teams in the world. And yeah, it brings in money and that's all the matters these days.

Greed is the way of the humans. Money is more powerful than any weapon.

League Commissoners these days make sure that the big teams or countries get into the Final. That way, more people watch, giving them money.

That is the standard for all sports leagues now.

Big teams=More viewers

More viewers=more money

more money=job security

job security=big salary

^^^

youre not the only one. i mean, why the hell did Maxi Rodriguez get a yellow card for "diving" ? he was clearly tripped up by the german.

i was expecting argentina to pwn hands down. the replacement goalee SUCKED! and darn Klose for scoring that equaliser :swear:

Does anyone here actually watches the bloody replays? Yes, there was contact, but after Maxi Rodriguez had begun his fall. He was falling way before Lahm even touched him. It was a clear dive and a good call by the referee. Watch the bloody replays.

Why are those teams called big teams eh? Maybe they actually are good? Yes, there hasn't been any upset this years and it's more of a traditional WC. Can't deny the talent of the teams who are here now. Might as well say that South Korea was permitted to get to the semi-finals in 2002 just because of increased revenues coming from Korean fans. Such cynicism is disconcerting at the highest level. If there wasn't money to be made, no one would actually organize a World Cup. Enjoy the party, get drunk and forget about it.

For a more acerbic (and perhaps somewhat disturbing) take on soccer/football, The Onion, which lampoons anything it can get its hands on, put out an article titled "Somalia Defeats Rwanda To Win Third-World Cup."

I'd say it drips sarcasm, but just about everything The Onion puts out drips with sarcasm, so it's nothing new for them. :) Thought some of you might appreciate their ironic type of humor.

Somalia Defeats Rwanda to Win Third-World Cup

Ookay, It's gonna be Germany vs. Italy. Considering the circumstances, Italy has a very good chance of going to the final. Germany fared poorly yesterday, and would have lost if the Argies didn't back out on attack. Ballack needs to come back in form, or the team can be a disaster.

Now we have England vs. Portugal. I'm with Portugal on this one, because England has been playing seriously beneath my expectations. Crouch can't land a good goal and the team is just a 10-man excuse for Beckham's game. I hope Portugal kicks some ass.

And then it's France vs. Brazil. Here Brazil will win, I prophesize. But I hope they give France an honourable defeat. France played well against Spain and will hopefully make a change for the better. Go France!

Does anyone here actually watches the bloody replays? Yes, there was contact, but after Maxi Rodriguez had begun his fall. He was falling way before Lahm even touched him. It was a clear dive and a good call by the referee. Watch the bloody replays.

i DID watch the replays and i could see the german's leg clearly on the shin of Rodriguez. or does it look different in the reverse angle?

Now we have England vs. Portugal. I'm with Portugal on this one, because England has been playing seriously beneath my expectations. Crouch can't land a good goal and the team is just a 10-man excuse for Beckham's game. I hope Portugal kicks some ass.

This is the one of your predictions I disagree with. Portugal is down two of it's greatest players automatically, thanks to the Dutch game, and two more of their stars could potentially be out - though they won't pull Ronaldo to save their lives, I guess. I think if England gets their act together and plays like more of a team, instead of Bekham-support, they stand a good chance of kicking some serious Portugese tail.

England should have easy time beating Portugal, really... (maybe I'm wrong lol).

I support Italy even if I am the 1st one to admit that we played VERY POORLY up to Ukraine match. Don't know if is made on purpose (save energies for the final rush). If that's the case, Lippi is a genius, if not... well :)

Well, England has dominated the first half, but Ricardo has been doing a good job, unfortunately. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this game goes in to penalty shootout - which, IMO, is a cheap way to lose a game. I see why they need to do it, or else these games could go on for days, but I still think it's the worst way to lose.

you mean foul

but yeah, it was pretty dumb. i was expecting Rooney do score at least once, even though i was backing Portugal. he made some awesome tackles and evasions, but he shouldnt have pushed Christiano Ronaldo.

i DID watch the replays and i could see the german's leg clearly on the shin of Rodriguez. or does it look different in the reverse angle?

If you had seen the replay correctly, you'd notice that Lahm's leg while lunging, did not touch Maxi Rodriguez until he fell on it. There was at the very least, 40 cm between Lahm and Maxi Rodriguez when he started falling.

I was wondering why the referee gave a yellow card for diving so I paid special attention to that. His knees were both bended in a "falling" position way before Lahm ever touched him.

3-1 in shootouts for Portugal. I must say, Portugal's attack did very poorly. England loses Rooney, ATTACK damn it. They were defending a lot with a one man advantage.

Bad mistake by Rooney. Seriously, you don't do that, ever.

Thumbs up to Ricardo. Amazing goalkeeping.

Beckham was injured so he was replaced by Lennon who did a pretty good job.

There's something that bothered me though and it's Maniche's dive. I think it was Crouch who rubbed his shoulder. Christiano Ronaldo was pissed at Crouch because of that, Maniche was down, holding his face, when he was softly rubbed on the shoulder.

By the way, FIFA should add a special clause in the rule book that allows players to push, punch, kick, spit on and stab Christiano Ronaldo. Just for fun's sake.

Wow. I'm so ****ing pissed.

Which is scary, because I'm more upset about England losing than when the U.S. got knocked out.

Great patriotism, huh?

I don't believe it. Mavericks lose, Stars lose, Rangers fall from first to thrid place, U.S. loses, and now England loses. Why is this happening to my favorite teams??? Why? And why am I so angry about England losing???

I'm going to go ask God these questions.

P.S. When I was watching, they showed a shot of Robinson, and I thought for a second, does he realize that millions of people around the world are praying for him right now? It's a shocking thing to consider. A whole country praying for him.

Archived