Home

FIFA 2006 World Cup in Germany

lukeiamyourdad

Well I just want to add that italy vs Ukraine and Germany played well - you can say opponent played badly but they can play badly also depending on the opponent.

With france was different - as you said, Barthez in 2nd half did NOTHING. Italy just made 1 shoot at goal in offside with Toni.

Was a shame since there were some really good attackers: Inzaghi (50+ goals in champions league), Gilardino (topscorer in Italy under 21 who won world cup).

But as always they wanted to play defensively. Here of course they all say "the important thing is win" - sure, ok. But you can't say that Italy played well...! is ridiculous.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, it's not like Spain ever went really far. A shame though, lots of talents.

well, they should. they have a strong team. their clubs are great and they are strong in all the lines. still i cant figure out why they keep walking out every WC.

Well, if my memory is right, Seedorf was kept out because he was being an a-hole. I guess too much youth is just too much.

i dont remember such a thing but again the team is the thing that matters.

I guess they didn't expect to get to the PK shootouts. Not starting Cambiasso is a huge mistake and removing Riquelme from the game? He's your single best player!

they scored a goal then played defense against Germany!!! the dutch side has a weak defense they should've win easily and if we agree to his plan, he should have sent Messi instead of Cruz. Messi can hold the ball for longer time, he is a great talent and the least thing he will do is to win a foul. simply he could've won the game.

Ronaldinho was playing a "hold-the-ball" role before being an attacker so...he didn't have a real opportunity to do what he does best.

I agree with the rest. The Confederation's Cup squad was so much better. We saw what they can do (Brazil-Japan game -minus Ronaldo, it was the same team).

Ronaldinho played as an attacker or as what its called a CF behind Ronaldo. and this was the mistake,the big mistake actually. Ronaldinho isnt a tactical player. he play to shoot, pass, dribble. you cant depend on him in your tactics because simply, the best player in the world know nothing about these things.

Well luck...I wouldn't say that he was totally lucky, he did have a decent team on the pitch and youngsters like Ribéry combined with veterans gave them a very nice squad. I still wonder why they used a 4-5-1 formation though...You don't keep a player like Trézéguet on the bench...you just don't...About the Henry substitution, I guess Domenech expected Wiltord to do the same thing he did in Euro 2000. Doesn't surprise me coming from a great astrology believer. Bad move though...

Coupet might be better then Barthez, but he still did the job.

i have spoken about his team. they are good.but you cant deny that he had some luck in the 2nd goal against Spain, or in Swiss's game.

Meh, they dove their way to victory (Australia-Italy anyone?). Ukraine did nothing and the Germans weren't that good against them.

i didnt watch Germany-Italy game and i hate their way of playing and yes they had luck in their side sometimes, but Cannavaro!!! well i like this guy. the best defender in the world i guess.

Well, at least Lampard got some shots in :p Rooney is the inspiration of the team, Walcott did nothing (well he was watching and learning...that'll win you a World Cup...) and Crouch sucks. As for Owen, he had injury problems before going to the WC but he's a good striker. I agree that Bent should have been in, instead of either Crouch or Walcott.

true, but Lampard shoots were sucks. anyway i guess that the main reason behind England's loss is the long season. all Europe rest in the cristmass but they dont and this will affect the players. Gerrard and Lampard were not the same in Liverpool and Chealse.

Yes well, if there are 2 people in italy squad that deserved the title, are cannavaro and gattuso. The former is probably best defender of world, the latter might be ridiculous to watch sometime but he gives everything on the field.

Like Michel platini said: "This WC didn't show beautiful football. only tactics. It was probaly the best organized world cup."

I agree with him. The best game in the whole tournament was Germany - portugal. Nice match.

@RC 1162: They play against argentinia? when? I would love to see that. Since they are world champions, they have to beat Argentinia with 5:0...

@ rei: as well as a few cool dives :xp:

i agree with you about cannavaro, he was an excellent defender, i'll give them that much. but gattuso? he must be the diving champ of the italian team.

HQ: im not sure if they're playing against argentina, but the next WC will have Argentina playing better, i presume. so even if italy makes it to the finals again, i'm sure argentina will not let them get their slimy little paws on the cup.

So...the WC is over...

I disagree with the provocation 'thingy' of Materazi someone posted earlier.

If you are as experienced as Zidane, you would simply reply with something worse. Giving him a headbut is not the best solution at such a moment...

Although the French were better, i have to sat the Italian defense was awesome. I hate defensive teams, but the way Italia defended...unbelievable. No dirty tackles, everything on the ball. In matters of defense, they ARE worthy of the WC title.

To bad Zidane disgraced the complete French team by his act. No matter WHAT Materazi said, Zidane should have ignored him. Imo, if the French team would have won the cup, it would be a cup with a huge scar on it. Imo, it's better this way...

PS:

The way the Italians played the match...Buffon hugging Zidane after his header...kicking the ball out after an injury. In matters of Fair-play, i think they are the WC too.

Of course, people will nag about Buffon. But what if YOU'd be in his place? He saw Zidane beating up one of his teammates/friends. There's no way you would keep silent.

Italia....World Champion!

haha why? honestly I didn't see gattuso dive so much. surely not as many other players. anyway that will happen always, there's nothing to do - any english remember the goal of maradona by hand? that decided a match, wasn't just a simple diving!!!

<--is 1/4 Italian and just wants to piss lukeiamyourdad off immensely.

We're not really interested in what you're "aiming" to do. However, consider this a warning. Any personal attacks upon any other members can and will result in a ban.

Normally I'd strike this up as friendly banter.. but I've seen the heated debates between the both of you. My suggestion is that you both stay away from each other. Flaming, or flamebaiting will not be tolerated.

well, they should. they have a strong team. their clubs are great and they are strong in all the lines. still i cant figure out why they keep walking out every WC.

I believe the last good performance of Spain was getting to the semi-finals...in 1950.

There's something blocking obviously. You can't have a team with the like of Torres, Puyol, Cesc Fabregas, etc. unable to do anything.

i dont remember such a thing but again the team is the thing that matters.

Well, it caused friction with other team members so Seedorf was left out.

Ronaldinho played as an attacker or as what its called a CF behind Ronaldo. and this was the mistake,the big mistake actually. Ronaldinho isnt a tactical player. he play to shoot, pass, dribble. you cant depend on him in your tactics because simply, the best player in the world know nothing about these things.

Oh I know what a center-forward is. I thought that he would've been used as a second striker or something, but his ability is, like you said, pass, dribble and shoot. He's not a sniper or a regular goalscorer. They have Adriano and Ronaldo for that. I was talking about the rest of the tournament really when I said that he was playing in a "hold-the-ball-and-don't-lose-it" role.

i have spoken about his team. they are good.but you cant deny that he had some luck in the 2nd goal against Spain, or in Swiss's game.

True, but luck is part of the game :D

i didnt watch Germany-Italy game and i hate their way of playing and yes they had luck in their side sometimes, but Cannavaro!!! well i like this guy. the best defender in the world i guess.

Certainly one of the best. He times his tackles perfectly, doesn't give away many fouls.

true, but Lampard shoots were sucks. anyway i guess that the main reason behind England's loss is the long season. all Europe rest in the cristmass but they dont and this will affect the players. Gerrard and Lampard were not the same in Liverpool and Chealse.

Well, Lampard's season at Chelsea was actually quite similar. He was the player with the most shots on goal but not that many actual goals.

On other subjects...

Gattuso isn't a diver. When he falls, it's 99% because he was hit quite hard. I don't think he's that good, but he certainly is one of the italians who doesn't dive a lot.

Buffon hugging Zidane after his header...

Well, it depends what Buffon said to him of course :D I guess we'll never know.

Their defensive play was quite good, but they also seemed quite exhausted. You also have to wonder why they play defensive when they have a draw.

Well, more new about Zizou today. It appears it wasn't a card after all, since FIFA doesn't allow for video evidence (in other words an official must have seen it with his own eyes), and the 4th official has said that he pointed the ref too it due to video images (and people have gotten out because of these errors for far worse things). Eventhough I would be the first cheering at video images being included into the refs decision, I still tink that you shouldn't just decide to do that halfway through the match. More like at the start of the tournament instead. or at least at the start of the game. However this will probably trigger a discussion about including video images, and they will most likely be allowed after this. So in a way the itsy divers lose because of this.

Apart from that, most if the itsy players may be playing in the third division next year, I for one think that would be hilarious.

Oh yeah, I've also read that according to the Brazilians matarazzia called Zidane's sister a whore, and from other sources I've read that he called Zidane a terrorist. So I think he called Zidane's sister a terrorist whore, wich I think would be reason enough for headbut. However Zidane probably should have waited untill after the match. Though I woudn't give materazzia a headbut myself, since I prefer to punch or use an elbow slam or forearm slam instead.

i would have preferred Rooney style :D Push him down and step hard on the balls :xp:

but that was seriously a bad thing to say. i have a sister and i'd have pretty much done the same thing if i was in his shoes. come to think of it, i'd have done much worse!

Well there are many theories, really. Some say Mate called him an "Arab Terrorist" or his sister was a whore. If I were called either, I would kill him, especially considering the fact that I don't like the Italian team much. I support Zidane in what he did. It may be against the rules, and it may have cost him the game, but whatever he did was right and he leaves a fitting player.

Imo, Zidane should have let Materazi talk.

He could have gone to the referee and complain, or simply hold his anger and try to win the match.

But he decided to do a headbutt. No matter what Materazi said, he could have simply replied with something like 'Stfu, stupid spaghetti-****er.'

Imo, it's Zidane own mistake, and a dirty, yet efficient, trick from Materazi.

Archived