Home

Graphics....

Commander Obi-Wan

What would you stay about the graphics?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What would you stay about the graphics?

• Excellent
    • Decent
    • Half-Decent (Okay)
    • Mediocre
    • Horrible

I dont expect miracles when it comes to RTS games but this one is as good as any of the great RTS's out there. Pretty like RTW or AOE III. But I have always like star wars games the really good ones can bring that star wars universe feel. This means great graphics and sound. Very cinamatic, which seems to be the focus point of this game which makes me very happy. I think we dont want to just conqueor the galaxy we want it to be an adventure worthy of the movies when we do it.

Although I haven't seen everything, the space looks phenomenal in my opinion but the ground could use some work. It's not so much the textures for me, it's the animations and pace I guess you could say. The only thing model or texture-wise i'm disappointed with is the stormtrooper. Not as high quality as i would like but oh well.

I voted decent, to balance between excellent space and "okay" ground.

I think the graphics are pretty damn good. Nothing groundbreaking but solid in a lot of areas. Wait until the normal mapping hits the RTS world in a year or so... we'll see some amazing stuff inside 2 years. These RTS games are getting harder to make art for in some ways... the camera cuts on units and infantry up close makes for a dilemma that's hard to build for... do I make art for the game view? do I make it for cinematic modes? do I make LODs for everything in between? It was a lot easier when the camera stayed at the top 3/4 perspective! :)

• 2 months later...

They're excellent for an RTS, so I said excellent. And anyone who voted less than "Decent" shouldn't be comparing it to an RPG (which usually have the best graphics out of all genres) or an FPS (which have the to render the second-best graphics of the genres at a higher framerate). It's an RTS and it has to render a hell of a lot more stuff on the screen than any other genre. Just look at a game like C&C: Generals, the player can have as many units as they want, and can thus bring any gaming machine to it's knees.

Well, that's a reality everyone has to face. How can an RTS expect to beat an FPS graphics wise, considering they're both of the same generation?

It is unthinkable because an RTS is way more power hungry then an FPS. So no machine would ever be able to run an RTS with FPS-ish graphics. What is sad is that people (common people here, non-geek or low-level newbie) would compare both and then place their judgement without all the relevent information. In our time and day, graphical quality rates so high in our heads that it often overshadows our judgement.

Archived