Home

Graphics....

Commander Obi-Wan

What would you stay about the graphics?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What would you stay about the graphics?

• Excellent
    • Decent
    • Half-Decent (Okay)
    • Mediocre
    • Horrible

Are you sure of that? 2 years ago was 2004, year when Half-Life 2, FarCry and UT2k4 came out...

Ahem...

So no, it was not. There were some good effects and the game is certainly good looking, but overall, it certainly was not better then RTS released the same year (sometimes even earlier the same year).

Are you sure you play the same FPS I do? War on Terror is not bad looking, but certainly not on par with an FPS of the same generation. Does it even achieve the same level of detail as Battlefield 2? Or F.E.A.R? No, and you can compare the screenshots if you want.

@Orao-

The graphics on that game weren't that good... as a matter of fact, BF2 and HL2 have much better graphics. Also, EaW is on a much larger scale than that game. So, I reconsidered my statement as you suggested. And it's still the same. RPGs have the best graphics, FPSs have the second-best at higher framerates, and RTS ususally have the worst.

***Edit***

Also,

012.jpg

well, to compare graphics of the same genre, i do think that the graphics from Rome: Total War are better than the graphics from E@W, but not by much. Rome: Total War was excellent at displaying thousands of individually animated units on screen at the same time. the best part of it was the unit detail when you zoomed in real close which is something that at least the ground units in E@W lack. the space units have quite a bit of detail, although higher res textures would've helped.

again, i also have to cite the sheer number of units that the engines can render. my system really starts to crawl to about 15-20 fps whenver about 100-200 units in E@W are on screen. R:TW wouldn't lag that badly unless you had two full-size armies (roughly 6000+ units on screen) duking it out.

I agree. EaW graphics are good until you zoom in for close ups, then it's marginal.

Performance is good. I run it at the highest settings and it never slows down. The more units that get involved and the more shooting that happens, I keep waiting for it to lag, but it never does.

One thing that does bother me, though, is heat distortion. I hate seeing everything wrinkly in space after my DS has blown up the planet. So I do have that one setting turned off.

I like the graphics, for the most part, but I've seen better. The texture resolution is horrible when compared even to older RTSs like AoM. The models are decent, but not as good as you'd expect (I'm talking land battles), I think they concentrated way to much on space graphics. I also think they meant to make good particle effects, but I have that setting on max and I still think its marginal, I mean the particles are just too big, you don't get the smooth , high-res particles you'd expect, you can actually see the individual particles. I gave is a half-decent, since I've seen batter graphics in RTSs.

nice space but the ground is quite pathetic. i mean come on look at rome total war nd stuff. nice tho!

How is the ground pathetic are you guys all blind? I can't seem to figure out why you think space is so much better. I do admit space is a bit more detailed but there ships...It's not that much better then ground. And you can't compare EaW to Rome Total War, think of how many RTS nowadays have EaW graphics or worse. Not many are as good as Rome Total War.

nice space but the ground is quite pathetic. i mean come on look at rome total war nd stuff. nice tho!

br9.jpg

05_G.sized.jpg

Total war does not have great textures if it did there is no way you would be able to have 6000 units on screen fighting and marching, secondly if you play total war you will see the maps are pretty much dead with no activity compared with the likes of the lava planet in EAW.

Indeed, Rome Total War may look amazing on a grand scale, but the only textures on the map seem to be on the units most of the time. Compare the maps of EAW and Rome Total War. RTW focuses more on the grand scale of the map, where most of EAW's maps seem to almost glisten in comparison. Trees in RTW are big twigs in comparison to the trees in EAW. No, RTW has slightly worse graphics than EAW, but has about the same graphical requirements because of a slightly larger scale.

How is the ground pathetic are you guys all blind? I can't seem to figure out why you think space is so much better. I do admit space is a bit more detailed but there ships...It's not that much better then ground. And you can't compare EaW to Rome Total War, think of how many RTS nowadays have EaW graphics or worse. Not many are as good as Rome Total War.
i compared the two because both games fall under the same category. :dozey:
Total war does not have great textures if it did there is no way you would be able to have 6000 units on screen fighting and marching,
i have to disagree with you there. on a unit to unit comparison, RTW units have much more detail, especially up close. compare the difference between Rebel soldiers to a Roman Legionaire and the differences in detail are quite clear.
secondly if you play total war you will see the maps are pretty much dead with no activity compared with the likes of the lava planet in EAW.
i agree with you there. IMHO, however, i would've preferred more detail in the units than the environment. this is a Star Wars title, and having units that lack details you notice in the movies detract from the immersion aspect.

I agree with stingerhs. The units in R:TW are much better looking. The maps might be more bland, but how "alive" is a realistic battlefield on our little planet earth supposed to be?

I too prefer good looking units over a good looking environment. Sure having both is best, but if you can only have one, only the units matter.

The technology didn't allow them to make non-clone army. Errr...I mean, it was possible, but considering computer technology back then, it would've been a nice lagfest. CA is fixing it for Medieval2: Total War :)

In fact, the units in E@W are also clones (including the Rebels), but it is not as easily noticed as in R:TW as the squads and overall troop number is much more smaller. Having 2000 clones is more annoying then just 20.

Graphics are the path to the darkside!!

Graphics leads to lag, lag leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.......

LOL

There is no hate, there is peace....

Though I guess that means turning my settings down to 400.600?

Archived