Home

The Fate of Star Trek, UPN, and WWE on UPN and beyond...

The Source

For the past year, The Star Trek Franchise has been in jeopardy. As a Rodenberry Purest, I watched the Star Trek: The Next Generation and the Original Series. After Rodenberry departed, the franchise fell into hands of people who don't understand Roddenberry's dream. Rodenberry's son was not intrested in his dad's buisness. As a son of a former buisness owner, I can understand escaping my father's legacy. Star War and Star Trek has been apart of all our lives. Within both series, they express a philosophy of deversity, adventure, psychology, literature, and possibilities. A few days ago, I received word that Paramount is being seperated into two companies. After the cancellation of Enterprise, the writers and a few actors created the show Threshold. Upon reading my email, Threshold was cancelled. Threshold was created by the same writers that made the Star Trek Franchise sink. They lack the Rodenberry Philosophy, and they are shortsighted in what the future holds. ABC was the original owners of Star Trek, and several of us are hoping they will return home. ABC is an affiliate of Paramount, and they are also a part of the breakup. If you have been paying attention, there is a television network called UPN. A few days ago, I did some research into why they are changing their name to 'U'. It turns out that Paramount Network is departing the relationship with their partners. Paramount disagrees with the new TV lineup, which is focused on a specific group of people. From what I understand, Paramount wants to catter to all walks of life. However, the other owners 'United', the 'U' in 'UPN', don't want to cross bounderies. Star Trek was cancelled because of this new direction. Next, the WWE is not being renewed for 2006. Because of this massive mess, Star Trek's fate is now on a string. StarTrek.com's designers and edditors are fighting to keep the site up and runing. However, they admit their future is very limited. Keep you eye out in the next few months, for their is no doubt going to be more information about Star Trek's fate...

Threshold Cancelled:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/14873.html

When I find the links again, I will post them here for you to read...

Yup, ST, while I do love it, does need a break (insert stupid Friends joke here)

they just reuse too much stuff to keep it from going stale.

Simple solution: Relinquish complete control of the franchise to me (one of my previous hobies was sketching ST ships [lame]) I've got enough plot, character, and environment ideas to take the series where no producer has gone before,

but who's gonna listen to me:D (Picture a Daedelas class starship with the secondary hull cut, four square nacelles sticking out the back, 5 meters of armor plating, and an array of torpedo launchers covering the front of the sphere...then picture 40 of these ships forming a blockade, and you'll get an idea of where I'd take the series;))

IMO, Star Trek should take a nice long break. They spammed too many series and everyone is starting to get tired of it.

Taking a break so they can start with a fresh new serie would be much better then trying to salvage some remains.

Quoted for emphasis! ;)

@RJM, I think everyone who is a Trek fan has an ideal ship... mines an Avenger Class Heavy Frigate (Like The Reliant from TwoK), Advanced Smart Metal Armor/Hull, Triple Shielding, Romulan Cloaking Device, 7 Dual Heavy Phaser Banks, 4 Phaser Cannons, 4 Gatling Torpedo Launchers, and 2 Romulan Plasma-R Torpedo Launchers, not to mention it can launch 24 Killer Bee Fighter Pods.

Oh yeah and you can just hear the beer/soda cans rattling around when the ship has to come to an emergency stop! :xp:

IMO, Star Trek should take a nice long break.

Totally agree. Being a huge Trek fan, I'm dissapointed with how things are going. If they are smart, they will wait at least 5 years, let some new ideas come, and hire a new writting staff.

I think the biggest problem with Trek is that they ran out of ideas. Many of the creative people have been around since TNG! Time for some new blood, I say.

I read, I think at startrek.com, a while back that SpikeTV was going to play Voyager. I hope its true, though its my least favourite Trek series. I love watching DS9 on Spike. When it first aired, they played it at midnight over here. I never got to watch many of the episodes because I had school the next day. Its a lot better show than people give it credit for, in my opinion.

I've been a Trek fan as long as I can remember, so the state of the current franchise is definitely dissapointing, but the producers have nobody to blame but themselves. There's definitely been a lack of focus that I think came in and hurt Voyager badly after a promising start and helped to shoot Enterprise in the foot from the get-go.

I watched TNG a little it was good.

Don't hope for an ABC-Star Trek team. Network and SciFi don't mix. They'll get your hopes up you'll get into the show then they'll cancel it within a year or less.

Name one time when it hasn't happened. The best hope for any Sci-fi show is syndication or UPN.

Remember TNG was on for what 8 or 9 years(longer?) syndicated.

Hey y'all, what was wrong with Enterprise? DS9 and Voyager was where they lost focus and went off from Roddenberry's vision. They brought something of that old-school feel back, for Enterprise.

As for TNG movies, I long thought First Contact was the best one (due to its bleak and dark mood), but recently I've changed my mind. Insurrection is teh roX, a perfect merge of mystery sci-fi old and new. Nemesis blew really much, I still can't understand how it went so horribly wrong.

Totally agree. Being a huge Trek fan, I'm dissapointed with how things are going. If they are smart, they will wait at least 5 years, let some new ideas come, and hire a new writting staff.

I think the biggest problem with Trek is that they ran out of ideas. Many of the creative people have been around since TNG! Time for some new blood, I say.

I read, I think at startrek.com, a while back that SpikeTV was going to play Voyager. I hope its true, though its my least favourite Trek series. I love watching DS9 on Spike. When it first aired, they played it at midnight over here. I never got to watch many of the episodes because I had school the next day. Its a lot better show than people give it credit for, in my opinion.

I agree... They need a long, long, long break similar to the one between Star Trek: Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Hey y'all, what was wrong with Enterprise? DS9 and Voyager was where they lost focus and went off from Roddenberry's vision. They brought something of that old-school feel back, for Enterprise.

As for TNG movies, I long thought First Contact was the best one (due to its bleak and dark mood), but recently I've changed my mind. Insurrection is teh roX, a perfect merge of mystery sci-fi old and new. Nemesis blew really much, I still can't understand how it went so horribly wrong.

By the time Enterprise came around, Star Trek was allready making people tired.

I actually thought DS9 was pretty damn good during war with the Dominion, the only episodes I really didn't like were the Bajoran and wormhole prophet ones (of which there were far too many of). I certainly wouldn't compare it to Enterprise.

I liked those eps, myself. The one's I found dull were all of the Maquis ones...

Archived