Home

What has been the worst RTS game you have played

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

For me, this is an extremely tough one. However, I have always used the Total War series as the benchmark for RTS games, despite Rome Total War sucks online.

There have been some key releases over the past 12 months, Battle for middle earth, Dawn of War, Rome Total War, Black and White 2 and Age Of Empires 3.

BFME, in my view is probably the worst RTS game out there in modern times. The engine is out of date, the AI is something from over a decade ago and you can't create those large scale battles. It's just awful.

On the other hand, you have the largely disappointing Age Of Empire 3. Why? Maybe I expected too much but really its just AOE2 in a new costume! It does nothing new and a strategy of rushing to tech level 2 online has become extremely boring over the last 6 years now.

What you all think has been the worst RTS game... EVER?!

DMUK

^^^^

It was more like WarCraft IV: War of the Ring.

Anyway, the one thatreally dissapointed me in recent times is AoE3. Like DMUK, it just feels old and too antiquated, like if the genre did not evolve during all those years.

There's also the dreadful Rise of Nations, the Civilization and Age hybrid. I simply can't find any fun in it.

Honestly...although I make fun of GB incessantly, I don't think it was all that bad for what it was made to do, it accomplished. It wasn't terrible...it was just definitely not what I wanted. I really can't think of all that many horrible RTSs I've played because I always look at reviews before playing for the most part. I carefully choose games really and don't normally buy into hype. The worst RTSs I've played were really for consoles because they arn't set up all that well for RTSs and such and those are so few and far between that I can't think of many. Most strategy games I play for consoles are turn based.

So all in all, this has to be the most long winded way of saying I really can't think of any BAD RTSs I've played.

The worst I can even think of was "War of the Worlds" that was produced forever ago and was probably $20 when I bought it forever ago so I don't even know if it counts.

Absolute worst? Well, I’ve bought a lot of computer games over the years and the worst is a game called “Seven Kingdoms II: The Fryhtan Wars”. The second worst game is “Total Annihilation”. The third worst game is “Fate of the Dragon” by Eidos. The fourth worst game is probably War Craft II. WCIII wasn’t much better. War Craft III was only fun in single player and online play was boring and unbalanced. I got sick of being rushed by Night Elves. I had a lot of fun playing WCIII, but ironically enough I stopped playing the “real” game and only played a mod called Dota All-Stars. The Dota All-Stars mod was better then the actual game. lol Force Commander was another game I never really got into. I actually liked SW: GB, and it was a fun game at least to me.

My favorite games right now are probably Kotor and Battlefront.

I would have to say AoE I. While it may have been good in its day, I bought it in 2004. The campaigns were rather boring, and I got so tired of them I never even bothered to complete a couple. The graphics were horrible, the civilizations were unrealistic... I didn't like it very much.

There is a strategy game I haven't played, but I read that its one of the worst games of all time. I believe it is called Diplomacy. The company who made it wanted the game to be playable by everyone across the world, so to save a bit of time they didn't bother recording any voices, and used hardly any writing. The little characters on the screen tell you what to do by making little motions and pointing certain directions. And as an added bonus, the game is supposed to be very buggy.

I don't get why so many people here don't like BFME. I thought it was a great game.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Darth Alec on the aoe series, in fact my favorite of the series is the very first one with its expansion of course. I still don't really have a liking to the EE series as well, sorry to say but I will greatly demote Age of Mythology, just due to the fact that it is has no real rts feel to it. The only way I can get anything done in AOM is by allowing curtain things to happen *couf... ch... couf... t... couf*(How do you spell cough again, my memory just went blank)

I loved EE, however EE2 seemed like a cheaply made sequel, I was expecting a lot more from it. I've only played the demo of AoEIII, but it, like, EE2 did not seem to have enough new ideas to warrant a new game, I also disliked WarCraft III shortly after playing it a few times. However, the crappiest RTS that I have played must be Star Trek New Worlds.

Im not an RTS expert by any means, but of all of them Ive played, I really disliked War of The Ring. I loved SW Rebellion, with all the Expanded Universe and political elements etc :) Another one which I liked was Star Trek Birth of the Federation, still = funnage

lolz...new worlds was indeed crapzrz

mtfbwya

Archived