Home

Gaming dissapointments of 2005

BongoBob

The DS disappointing? Are you kidding, the DS just absolutely took off now, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Castlevania, Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, Jump Superstars, etc all ROCK!

I didn't say anything about the Revolutio controller because no one knows how successful it'll actually be but I can't stand back while someone says the DS was disappointing.

FPS for the DS are lousy so far = disappointing.

Considering the last good FPS even on a console was Perfect Dark on the N64, I don't think too many people expected a good FPS for a handheld. But that could just be me projecting.

I personally think Advance Wars and Mario Kart alone will make my purchase of a DS justifiable.

Considering the last good FPS even on a console was Perfect Dark on the N64, I don't think too many people expected a good FPS for a handheld. But that could just be me projecting.
I dunno ... some people like that Halo thingy ... ;)

Personally I thought Duke Nukem Advance was pretty good ... and Metroid Prime Hunters demo shows the *potential* for the DS to totally rock for FPS ... but that will be reality in '06, so for '05 it is disappointing that no one capitalized on it.

I personally think Advance Wars and Mario Kart alone will make my purchase of a DS justifiable.
I have very much enjoyed my DS, but my two favorite genres - FPS & RPG - are woefully underrepresented by quality games thus far.

... We got my older son one of the Mario Kart DS bundles ... I hope my wife gets me the Mario Kart game so we can have wireless races around the house!

Mike

@ txa1265: The reason there aren't any good RPGs out for the DS right now is because they're all in production. You should know as well as I do that it takes quite awhile to make a good RPG.

I do admit that at the start of the year the DS was disappointing but everything turned around as the year progressed and lotsa great games are coming out.= Right now I'm having lotsa fun with Animal Crossing: Wild World.

Oh yeah I have a really good one, I was REALLY VERY disappointed that Lego Star Wars wasn't released on the GCN initially. There was no excuse for it not to be on the GCN and after the many people saying "what the hell? why isn't it on the GCN?!" they finally released it... but it's little too late, they would've sold more if they had've released it initially with the RotS hype still in effect.

@ txa1265: The reason there aren't any good RPGs out for the DS right now is because they're all in production. You should know as well as I do that it takes quite awhile to make a good RPG.
It doesn't generally take any longer to make a good game than a mediocre to bad game ... but I do know what you are saying. Thing is, I like 'Legend of Heroes' on the PSP but didn't much like 'Lunar DS' on the DS, when they each had the same amount of dev time, and are very similar genre-wise.

Oh yeah I have a really good one, I was REALLY VERY disappointed that Lego Star Wars wasn't released on the GCN initially.
I consider that a tale of redemption ;)

Mike

Considering the last good FPS even on a console was Perfect Dark on the N64, I don't think too many people expected a good FPS for a handheld.

Lol, I just hooked up my 64 last night for some good old perfect dark, but I found out that my controller is fubar, looks like I'm makin a quick trip to a gamestop...

You know what my biggest letdown is? Not even being able to form an oppinion about Perfect Dark Zero :(

It doesn't generally take any longer to make a good game than a mediocre to bad game ... but I do know what you are saying. Thing is, I like 'Legend of Heroes' on the PSP but didn't much like 'Lunar DS' on the DS, when they each had the same amount of dev time, and are very similar genre-wise.

No I mean on a handheld level, most handheld games actually don't take that long to make except for certain types of games including RPGs because they have a lot more depth to them.

Another disappointment...

I finally decided to give in and try Sniper Elite, because I'd read positive reviews about it. It installed perfectly, and though the graphics look a littel dated that's no biggy for me. I like sniping in CoD so this game should be right up my alley.

Except every time I shoot someone I get a high-pitched whistle and the game freezes my whole system. :( I hope they patch it soon, because the game is unplayable for me at the moment.

Most of the opinions I've heard say that it really is nothing new, it's just your standard FPS game. Which is fine by itself but you would think that for a game that's been in development for quite some time would have some very interesting things done to it, though from what's being said it's just the old Perfect Dark with better graphics.

The main thing they seem to have a problem with is a few of the level designs being rather poor. But a lot of reviewers still love it, even despite this. I gotta say i've lost a lot of my enthusiasm based on the bad level descriptions, but the roll and cover mechanics sound interesting.

Archived