Home

Battlefront 2 (PC)

Darth Smaug

I like the game, the story line is fun, not the most complex or detailed by far but it gives you kind of a feel for each mission, much better then the first one. As for multiplayer, well some people apparently have huge problems with it but ive experienced nothing really major (a few crashes from time to time but that happens to me for every game...) Sadly teamwork is practicly nonexistant, teaming up with buddies to fight is an effective tactic, one people seem to be unwilling to lose.

I find the battlefields fun, but in some cases a bit smaller and less complex then i'd hoped, I'm personally hoping the mod tools are released soon, for bigger maps hopefully.

Yeah, one big problem with these games is that the maps have been really small whereas in the movies, all the battlefields have a huge scope so it's really kind of disappointing wanting to have that same scope but not having it there. That's why this game NEEDS mod tools to survive. A lot of the maps made were in a lot of cases, better than the maps shipped with the game because they made them huge just like in the movies.

There is a reason why most maps are small(er). You can't really pump up the members of each side too much w/o getting a wonderful lag. So inorder to concentrate the players/AIs the map can't be too big.

Remember trying to hunt down that one last guy in Hoth?

Now, think realistic Hoth, that is like 5-10 times bigger per front.

5-10 time bigger is the way the game should have been intended, especially with the system requirements to play the game which is way behind what most games being made now require. Seriously, BF1 and BF2 were made with consoles in mind when they should have been made for PC then ported and bottlenecked for consoles. Maybe witht the recent merger of Pandemic and Bioware they have more resources and people to make the next game even better.

I would like to see an ultimate sw game.

With ALL the things that where in star wars.

I mean all the maps,use all of the jedi,sith,..

And take control over whole armys of jedi,sith,clones,stormtroopers,...

That would be the ultimate star wars game and it would be great if it existed i think!

Yeah, if anyone ever played an Elder Scrolls game, that's the way the Ultimate Star Wars game should be made. An open-ended, open class game with RPG elements, yet a first person shooter at the same time. It would be a mix of Deus Ex, Grand Theft Auto, Elder Scrolls, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It would also have space fighter elements like Freelancer with the opportunity to visit other planets, be a space pirate, take on missions, and build your own squadron. How awesome would a game like this be? I think all of this could be possible using the Source Engine, which is probably the most versatile game creation engine I've seen plus the the graphical prowess coupled with fairly low system requirements make it a no-brainer.

Quake 3?!? Dude, that engine is so ancient now, it's rediculous. That and the fact that it is a resource hog. I can play half life 2 at almost full settings and run the game at 60 fps, plus it has more expansive environments. Jedi Academy runs at full settings at 34-40 fps with less spectacular graphics and the environments are nowhere as huge. Plus, Lucasarts can always lease the Source engine from Valve. They did it with Vampire and the upcoming Might and Magic game. Yeah the game itself would be hard to code and would probably take years to make, but a game like that is worth waiting a few years for, at least I think so.

If you played and liked SWBF1, I think you will like SWBF2. Most people do.

Looks to me that Half Life 2 takes the most resources:

Half Life 2 MINIMUM Requirments:

1.2 GHz Processor

256MB RAM

DirectX 7 capable graphics card

Windows 2000/XP/ME/98

Quake 3 requirments:

3D hardware accelerator with full Open GL support

Pentium 233Mhz MMX processor with 8MB video card

64MB RAM

Windows 95/98/NT 4.0

Direct X 3.0 (or higher) compatible sound card

Jedi Academy requirments:

Windows XP, Me, 2000, or 98

450 MHz Pentium III or Athlon class processor

128 MB RAM required, 256 recommended

32MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible video card

Sorry, but you're forgetting the important factor.

BATTLEFRONT IS A STARWARS GAME!

Excuse the shouting, but let's put it this way. If Battlefront was a generic sci-fi team shooter, people wouldn't give it the time of day. It is buggy, glitchy, incomplete and rushed.

I have yet to see Star Wars, as a brand grab a genre for itself and make it it's own. Republic Commando did well, but should have expanded, the X-Wing series did brilliantly, but are dead, the Rogue series was a damned release game for the Gamecube, but is covering old ground now.

The Star Wars universe is rich and diverse, and with what the team have, the potential to create interesting and UNIQUE scenarios is there, but the "distance" is lacking. Take Halo 1/2. They're not the best designed games, but at the very least, you are going to have to look far for glitches, not something that could be picked up by "wall-crawling" (supposedly the first test in bug testing, for clipping errors etc)! Why should Zerted be smug in knowing that old bugs still exist in a new game? (Cantina bug anyone?)

I believe that the BFront series should be setting itself into new directions. I want to see the battles that were talked about in EU but never seen. Because then you are free to create interesting and diverse scenarios with some detail and run with it. Look at the sucess of Rhen Var and Bespin for example. They only have battles in EU. The "movie" levels should be a bonus, but IMHO, most of them are forced and rubbishly designed. Mapmakers are forced to add useless locations that detract from game flow to please fanboys, but make gaming annoying.

I'd want to see Battlefront take a path that doesn't make it a suck up to Battlefield. But at the mo, it can't decide whether it wants to be an arcade game, or a serious shooter. Rewards etc really work better for a serious shooter, but the "bullet spam" of Battlefront 2 makes them unfair without nerfing them till they're pretty useless. Then again, the effects for the powerups are...weird.

Personally, I'd rather it made up its mind. Serious pace and "realism." Or sonic-speed running and dying with the floaty green bubbles of DEATH! (Go Magnaguards!) Oh yeah, I'd like to add that a Stormtrooper sprints faster than most characters in Sonic Heros, but that's a personal rant.

Another thing, WE as a community need to work out what we want. The problem with Battlefront is that it's trying to caters to people who actually play games (like me), who are cynical general sci-fi buffs....all the way to fanboys who complain why girls laugh at their Darth Maul costume but couldn't play Pong. You can't please them all. That's why it'd be better if at least a direction could be taken.

As for engine, I dunno if source works that well over levels that are actually BIG. (Why are some UT99 levels bigger than Battlefront ones?) But the engine they use is OK, needs work, but it's reliable and scalable at least. The source engine doesn't seem to do really large expances in my experiance, but someone who's clocked HL2 can disagree with me there.

I've literally gone back to playing Quake 3 from Battlefront (although I will add that BFt has improved my aim). you shouldn't be suffering such a bad result from Jedi academy though. I've yet to find slowdown and I'm still maxing out settings and resolutions...yet I'm just below specs for Battlefront 2. Saying that, at least the character models look nice!

The thing about jedi Academy is that it had memory leaks. Sure the system requirements are low but those same requirements attached to half life make for a better overall game and experience. Plus half life 2 didn't have memory leaks and ran smooth. Quake 3 looks dated, no gamer or critic worth his salt would give another quake 3 engine game higher than a 7/10 score now, especially the more scrutinizing ones, namely me. Especially in the sales department. Why would anyone want to go back and have outdated graphics and models that use low polygon counts? Sure the game is good for modding now but I think the best way to go with a Star Wars game now is forward.

Why would anyone want to go back and have outdated graphics and models that use low polygon counts? Sure the game is good for modding now but I think the best way to go with a Star Wars game now is forward.

WTFF?? Are you taking the mick? This is battlefront 2 we're talking about. It's engine was "old" when it was new (although quite efficient, I'll give it that, but UTK3 ate it).

...Why should Zerted be smug in knowing that old bugs still exist in a new game? (Cantina bug anyone?)...

I'm not trying to come off as being smug. Sorry to everyone who I gave that impression to.

I think the space battles get old, fast. If you are not going to be playing online, I would go over the fourms and reviews once more before deciding buying the game.

Archived