Home

Multiplayer goes to Gamespy

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

As feared, gamespy will be handling the online side of EaW. I don't really want to turn this thread into a 'OMG..gamespy sucks' thread. I've seen today, that they will be having a 1v1 Galactic Mode, a 'Death to all' mode, 1v1 and team ladders(both ground and space), official ladders and gamespy subscription ladders.

The layout, is what you would expect from Gamespy arcade, not really user friendly - and each room currently holds 200 players, with 50 game rooms in each.

More details to follow...

DMUK

As feared, gamespy will be handling the online side of EaW. I don't really want to turn this thread into a 'OMG..gamespy sucks' thread. I've seen today, that they will be having a 1v1 Galactic Mode, a 'Death to all' mode, 1v1 and team ladders, official ladders and gamespy subscription ladders.

The layout, is what you would expect from Gamespy arcade, not really user friendly - and each room currently holds 200 players, with 50 game rooms in each.

More details to follow...

DMUK

Hmm, oh well guess i won't be doing mutli-player i heard bad things about gamespy too not much though. Can anyone fill me into more depth?

Guest DarthMaulUK

I think you will still be able to set up LAN games and IP games. Gamespy has no regard for its community. I play Dawn Of War online and they recently wiped clean EVERYONES stats! Thanks alot!

DMUK

Well I can't say I'm really surprised, for some reason game designers(or who ever chooses the multiplayer interface/program) enjoy picking gamespy. I'm honestly not a big fan of it, but I'll still use it. I hope there's an ingame mp server list as well though.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Dawn of war uses the same idea. You have a gaming room you can connect to via the game. However, not only is it not user friendly, the chat lobby is open to flooding and lots of swearing. And, you cant always view player stats, stats are wiped and so far since I have been playing, the servers have been done almost twice a week.

Two days ago, you couldnt even log in to a game and players could set them up. The server kicked everyone off. It does worry me. I wonder if jolt will be doing anything

DMUK

Once upon a time, companies (like Sierra) paid some money to establish their own fast dedicated servers, where a player even with 56k modem could play like he had T3.

Nowadays, devs look for cheap and bad solutions.

At least MSN Zone has more friendly interface than GameSpy, it doens't install a whole console full of ads in your system, and the servers are well managed by Microsoft.

Whatever........

Guest DarthMaulUK

I can live with the adverts, running these servers aren't cheap. Its the overall quality of gamespy that does worry me. And you only draw experiences from your last one..which isnt good. But fingers crossed, they seem to be testing it all very well atm.

DMUK

I am hoping for a little thing called Kali to support EAW soon. If you don't know what Kali is, imagine a program that tries to emulate a lan connection over the internet. It really helps avoid problem areas like Gamespy. The cool thing about Kali is that (last time I checked) a lifetime membership is $25. You don't have to worry about adds all over the place, etc.

I can live with the adverts, running these servers aren't cheap. Its the overall quality of gamespy that does worry me. And you only draw experiences from your last one..which isnt good. But fingers crossed, they seem to be testing it all very well atm.

DMUK

When i say "cheap", i mean the whole concept gamespy is based on, ie. force people to buy their console since their arcade one is awful. Also, i have used Gamepsy about 2 weeks ago, so, my experience is not that old; as far as they didn't make a "terra" update for their console.

I am hoping for a little thing called Kali to support EAW soon. If you don't know what Kali is, imagine a program that tries to emulate a lan connection over the internet. It really helps avoid problem areas like Gamespy. The cool thing about Kali is that (last time I checked) a lifetime membership is $25. You don't have to worry about adds all over the place, etc.

I won't pay double price for a game. And many others also.

As much as gamers complain about quality, they will use Gamespy because it's FREE. There would be more complaints if Lucasarts gave exclusive online hosting to a paid service.

Not to worry. Lan and IP games should be able to keep multiplayers occupied. If this game is as vast as it promises, you may be occupied by the SP campaign for quite awhile. I know that's the way it was with ROME :Total War, at least with me.

As much as gamers complain about quality, they will use Gamespy because it's FREE. There would be more complaints if Lucasarts gave exclusive online hosting to a paid service.

Naturally, but you have to realize that such a move would be unexplainable and frankly it would probably be a first in the realm of regular RTS, at least for the big names. It would even be total financial suicide.

People might go and look for third party software which would do the same.

Archived