Home

Multiplayer goes to Gamespy

Guest DarthMaulUK

AOEII used The Zone for its multiplayer... But I think we are somewhat off subject here.

Zone is a Microsoft's site, AOE is published by Microsoft (right?) so, Microsoft does pay to offer servers and well-looking game rooms to players, whether we talk about AOE or other games.

As i said, and i insist on this, devs choose cheap and bad solutions. They could put their hands a bit deeper in their wallets, but they obviously do not trust the success of their game as FroZticles pointed or they don't try to make the game a success.

The last one applies to the majority of current devs, not only Petro.

I can agree with that... Good point... By the outlook of some of us it looks like it will be a greater sucess than they think, not to mention the other forums and websites that are dedicated to Eaw. Most of the Star Wars fans will be grabbing for this game as well. One thing I do not want is Gamespy to be the publisher of this game in actuallity the size of Gamespy is not that big (well comparing to Microsoft & other game publishing companies). The outlook for EaW looks very good compared to what happened to SWGB

Um Gamespy is not publishing the game LA is. Gamespy is only providing multiplayer. So I don't know where you got that gamespy publishes the game. And to answer Darth Moellers question - Gamespy plain sucks. There is huge lag leven when the servers are not even half full. Depending on what game it is difficult to use sometimes. It even kicks you off multiplayer out of nowhere. You get alot of adware after it installs and then must use some sort of antispam/antispyware program to kill all of it. There may be more problems but this is what I have experienced so far.

Yep. Don't understand how they could involve GameSpy in this, every single gamer hates gamespy and thats a known fact no one uses it willingly... I just hope they won't ruin it like they did with CNC:Generals, especially with the stats and ladder system that game has, If you're good at that game you won't be playing cause everyones just to damned scared of getting losses agianst people with good stats.. Not to mention cause of GAMESPY the games often fail to connect and its close to impossible to get a 4 vs 4 going. Just a preview of Gamespy's RTS hosting. and as someone previously sade they dont even have a decent in game friends system!! forcing your friends to spam the refresh button which hardly works to find your game.

Well, didnt mean to make it a gamespy bash reply but someone asked how GameSpy was and I would expect them to treat EAW just like they did to ZH.

I have been playing RTS's for quite awhile now and there are some that are horrible because they are hosted by gamespy,One of these games is Rome Total War,Dont get me wrong its not the gameplay that sucks but The hard part is getting into a game quickly at times you would try several servers and they would all have the same error "Could not connect due to GS",GS=Gamespy Lots of people had this problem and there was no direct connet through IP adresses so there was really no way to get around it but if you did find a game and get it running it usually ran quite well unless it shut down instantly for no reason the game had an in-Game server browser to but it deidnt really help and some games you couldnt even try to connect to,And when you did get into a game there were times you would find yourself with bots or no one else at all But truly we'll just have to wait and see >_>

Mag Trinix :firemad:

Archived