lukeiamyourdad

Penalties to LS double-bladed and DS dual blade  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Penalties to LS double-bladed and DS dual blade

• Yes
    • No

Let's settle this with a poll.

This is the idea posted by Darth Windu:

- Impose LS/DS alignment modifiers on different types of Lightsabre much like the current system in use with Force powers, with positive or negative modifiers for attack strength and hit rating. Double-bladed sabres would give bonuses to DS characters, with negative modifiers for LS players. Two single-bladed lightsabres would have the same modifiers in reverse, giving bonuses for LS and negative modifiers for DS. Single-bladed lightsabres would have no modifiers.

To put it simply:

- Positive modifer for DS double-blade user

- Negative modifer for LS double-blade user

- Positive modifier for LS twin single-blade user

- Negative modifier for DS twin single-blade user

The question is is this a good idea for gameplay?

IMO, penalties are used as a deterrent. LS double-bladed users are now disadvantaged, which is unacceptable for myself since I am a LS double-bladed saber user.

I don't like it. I voted NO.

It just doesn't really make any sense.

I agree, if there is to be a penalty for using certain weapons, it needs to be a penalty against an individual who doesnt have teh skills. Not against them becasue they are light or dark.

With this Idea, the only person who ever would have had any bonus in the movies would have been Darth Maul.

Bad Idea

I do not believe this to be either "realistic" or practical, so a clear "No!" (besides I like being LS and using staff myself :p ).

However, maybe you could formulate the poll question a bit more neutrally .... "Do you want a lot of penalties?" asks for the answer "No" ...

Voting no....

Hey, I'm (relatively) practical. I like having full upgrades in any saber. With double-bladed, you only have 1 set of upgrades for the 2 blades, dual you have 2 sets (1 for each LS). Nearly all my characters fight with dual instead of dbl-blade because of the upgrade bonuses with dual compared to dbl-blade. I wouldn't want to assign alignment penalties based on saber type. It's the character that's DS/LS, not the lightsaber. :-)

Why would a non-evil character automatically suck with a double bladed saber? You don't need to be evil to learn how to use a staff. I don't see any logic in penalizing LS or DS users depending on whether they use double bladed or dual sabers. So no.

Also, since Kotor is a relatively short game, I don't see the point in adding too many penalties and such. It would be imposible for the player to change alignment and it would be annoying more than anything else.

Edit:typo

I do not believe this to be either "realistic" or practical, so a clear "No!" (besides I like being LS and using staff myself :p ).

However, maybe you could formulate the poll question a bit more neutrally .... "Do you want a lot of penalties?" asks for the answer "No" ...

Yeah, perhaps I should have added the word "bonus" too, since it does involve ome bonuses, but that was made clear in the first post.

Why would a non-evil character automatically suck with a double blade saber? You don't need to be evil to learn how to use a staff. I don't see any logic in penalizing LS or DS users depending on whether they use double bladed or dual sabers. So no.

Nods head in agreement.

I said No, because in that time period it is obvious that using a double-bladed saber was acceptable for Jedi, as the Jedi masters did it. And I think it would be silly for DS users to suffer for using 2 lightsabers, when it is more radical for LS users to do so.

I'm with the NO camp. I don't think I've ever played a character with a double-bladed lightsaber because that's not my weapon of choice. However I don't buy into the argument that a double-bladed lightsaber is inherently a DS weapon and so I don't think a LS character should be penalized for using one.

I also say a resounding No, but I do so from an RPG Rules perspective above everything else.

Weapons cannot be aligned one way or another, they are merely tools.

"Magic" weapons, like Sabers with LS/DS aligned crystals in them can be LS or DS, but since you can clearly take the crystal out and still use the saber no matter your alignment, this renders this argument moot. ;)

Okay, being the originator of the idea, in these forums anyway, I'll go ahead and expalin why I think it's a good idea. Incidently, all evidence I'm using is from the films, not EU.

1. Only Sith use the double-blade. One quarter of all Sith Lords surveyed replied 'yes, I do use a double-bladed lightsabre'. The other three use the signel-blade.

2. Only Jedi use twin single-blades. In both AotC and RotS, Anakin uses two blades. In addition, in the Execution Arena in AotC, there are around 3-5 Jedi fighting with two single-bladed lightsabres

3. The offical Star Wars sight lists the double-blade as "Sith Lightsaber"

4. The double-blade is more aggressive. As was pointed out by luke in another thread, having the double-blade makes reflecting blaster bolts more difficult, especially when compared to twin single-blades. Hence, the double-blade is a more offensive, while twin blades are more defensive

5. It provides more of a distinction between LS and DS. Sure, there are some differences, but I feel they need to be more pronounced

6. It should be pointed out that in no way would this resrict weapon choice. LS Master's could still wield a double-blad, while DS Master's could still wield twin single-blades. The only differences would be that, like using DS powers as a LS player, there would be modifiers imposed.

I said no because you only get penalties on the hits if you don't have the necessary feats. I play smart to make sure I get the two weapon fighting feats because it increases my chances of a hit and there is the reduction in penalties. Also the type of weapon you use affects the hit points. So I say no no and NO to this DS/LS penalty because I've also seen dark Jedi wielding two single blades.

I voted no cause i don't care. I always focus my character on using the force. I only have light sabers equiped for the stat bonuses from the crystals and for blaster deflection. I never attack with a weapon. They could add double-bladed lightsaber form for a darksided prestige class and tow bladed light saber form for a lightsided prestige class

Incidently, all evidence I'm using is from the films, not EU.

Are you sure? ;)

1. Only Sith use the double-blade. One quarter of all Sith Lords surveyed replied 'yes, I do use a double-bladed lightsabre'. The other three use the signel-blade.

Exactly. 1 out of 4.

2. Only Jedi use twin single-blades. In both AotC and RotS, Anakin uses two blades. In addition, in the Execution Arena in AotC, there are around 3-5 Jedi fighting with two single-bladed lightsabres

Actually, Anakin just picked up another saber on the run, that simply cannot be counted as a dual wielder as he is regularly a single wielder.

3. The offical Star Wars sight lists the double-blade as "Sith Lightsaber"

EU.

4. The double-blade is more aggressive. As was pointed out by luke in another thread, having the double-blade makes reflecting blaster bolts more difficult, especially when compared to twin single-blades. Hence, the double-blade is a more offensive, while twin blades are more defensive

Get rid of Jedi Weapon Masters and Guardians. Hell, let's get rid of the whole offensive side to the Jedi. They can't attack, just stand and resist assaults.

5. It provides more of a distinction between LS and DS. Sure, there are some differences, but I feel they need to be more pronounced

They are more then pronounced. Nobody needs to have more distinction.

6. It should be pointed out that in no way would this resrict weapon choice. LS Master's could still wield a double-blad, while DS Master's could still wield twin single-blades. The only differences would be that, like using DS powers as a LS player, there would be modifiers imposed.

I don't think that you understand that penalties like these in RPGs are often used as deterrents.

It would restrict the choices one can make, just like how Force Powers work now.

You cannot use Force Lightning as a LS Master, but they don't want you to so that's why they put restrictions in the form of penalties.

It's like saying that there's no restriction to going full melee with a consular. There's none, nothing stops you from going melee, but perhaps you'd rather play as a guardian since you have lower VP.

That's what penalties are for, forcing your hand without the words "restricted to X".

Archived