Home

Diplomacy - "Info in a war is power"

Athanasios

(I don't know if the factor "diplomacy" is mentioned, if yes, delete/lock this thread.)

It is confirmed that inhabitants of each planet may help your forces in your conquest or make your life difficult. But diplomacy in a such in-depth RTS cannot have only this option, so, i'd like to ask what would you think should be good to implement in this side of the game.

Total War and other RTS put much emphasis on this side, without lacking in the rest factors. I think that playing a war "in cards" is very challenging thing. I mean, in a war, one part is the battles and the strategy in general that commands your forces. The other part is how you exploit info you get in your hands and how you can get more info than your enemy.

Good points that could be implement in EaW are conspirancies/alliances, trade/communication deals with the relevant planets, spying and sabotaze.

What do you think?

Don't think there are enough factors for a decent diplomacy-integration. First of all, we have 2 sides: Rebellion and the Empire. In Total War or Civilisation, you have plenty of sides to choose, therefor having lots of possibilities concerning alliances, becoming protector, trading rights, demands etc...

Here the empire demands everything and the rebellion only offers its sabotage :p So you're stuck there.

Beside that you have other species on different planets. These are undevelopped or too small to be able to have a major influence on the course of the war. Although you have some who do join the alliance.

Therefor, not such in an important factor imo

Actually, if there's a lot of neutral planets, you'd have to rely on diplomacy. Yes, there won't be diplomacy between the Empire and the Rebels, but nothing stops the existence of diplomacy between the Rebels and say the Naboo.

Besides, it's not like the Romans cannot have diplomacy with the Spaniards in R:TW. Yet the Spaniards are not a playable faction.

Actually, if there's a lot of neutral planets, you'd have to rely on diplomacy. Yes, there won't be diplomacy between the Empire and the Rebels, but nothing stops the existence of diplomacy between the Rebels and say the Naboo.

Besides, it's not like the Romans cannot have diplomacy with the Spaniards in R:TW. Yet the Spaniards are not a playable faction.

I've never used diplomacy in R:TW with the Spanjards, since I conquer 'em immediately.

Archived