Home

KOTOR II - Did get the shaft!

The Source

KOTOR II - Did get the shaft!

About Lucas Arts

While scanning Lucas Arts, I followed some intresting links. If you remember the KotOR 2 patch, which took Lucas Arts, not Obsidian, but Lucas Arts forever to release. Well, this should tell fans exactly where Lucas Arts stands on the KotOR series... It took Lucas Arts only a few weeks to release a content and expansion pack for Battlefront II...

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/

(Read the top headline, and the main ad...)

P.S.

I did not know where to put this post, so if you have to move it, go right a head...)

That's disgruntling. Then again, BF II isn't really canon, and KotOR is more a regulated storyline. A content patch would be sort of unorthodox to that kind of game, and it might screw up some things. Especially if it wasn't free, which it wouldn't be.

^Why wouldn't it be free? They've already rushed out the game to make more money. They would look like total assholes asking for more money to make the game complete.

"First we're going to make you pay for an incomplete game, the we're going to make you pay again to make the game complete."

Only Microsoft is that greedy.

The majority of people who played K2 don't know that the game is incomplete. Or rather, they don't know about the cut content. And while they'll still have that empty feeling at the end of the game, most of the stuff won't be missed. You can't miss what you never knew about.

Lucasarts would lose money if they made a content patch of that scale. And while I'm sure they'd love to repair the game, maybe for free if they're feeling generous, the game isn't worth losing money to them.

Greed has taken hold of LucasArts, and this proves it.

The Star Wars Galaxies series is just so dumb, they seem to think the more junk they release for it the more people will buy it. And now they are charging them extra just for a more realistic gaming experience! I have heard of free patches, shareware patches where you have to input your CD key and your account number if you subscribe to that particular company, but a patch that costs 5 fricken dollars?! That's inane.

I didn't think LucasArts could be so sloppy, even Microsoft has more common sense than to charge people for patches!

Greed has taken hold of LucasArts, and this proves it.

The Star Wars Galaxies series is just so dumb, they seem to think the more junk they release for it the more people will buy it. And now they are charging them extra just for a more realistic gaming experience! I have heard of free patches, shareware patches where you have to input your CD key and your account number if you subscribe to that particular compant, but a patch that costs 5 fricken dollars?! That's inane.

I didn't think LucasArts could be so sloppy, even Microsoft has more common sense than to charge people for patches!

Way back, when I bought KotOR I for XBox, I played through the whole game, and found out that they left out Yavin IV. Now, inorder to get Yavin IV, I would have to spend $50 for XBox-Live, and $50 for the XBox game itself. There is no game in the world worth $100. So, I bought the PC version for $30, and was able to get the whole game. Lucas really messed that oen up....

Star Wars Gallexies costs $30-$50 to purchase, and about $20-$40 per month to play online. Therefore, the cost of the game averages $240 per year... No way in hell am I going to purchase that series... Add in what you pay for an online service... Damn!

You are talking: $240 (per/year for online gaming) + $240 (per/year for online service) + $30-$50 (to purchase the game) .

Who in the world would pay so much money for a game!?!?!?

Wit all the respect, even the the greatest moron can see it isn't complete :s

HK talking about revenge (the Robot Factory)

The death of master Vash (and the small-ness of Korriban)

These are so obvious...

Duh. I already said that. I'll try to make it clearer:

While the game has empty points, the majority of people don't know about the cut content specifically. In cases like the HK factory, someone might guess that there's a cut scene to go there, but unless you frequent KotOR II forums, you're not going to know the specifics of the cut content. And you can't miss what you don't know about.

Really, if OE hadn't divulged so much info on what was cut, there would be a lot less people at their throats. Like, in some cases, people don't even think Bioware cut anything from KotOR I, which is outrageous. They made just as many cuts as OE, only they were more precise and less last-ditch, thus being oh-so much cleaner and less noticeable. And the fact that OE had to make those sloppy cuts was because of their outrageously short schedule.

Regarding your specific examples:

HK Factory: Sure, it was pretty obvious that something was missing there. But to a great deal, I'm sure that that's all they thought. Unless there's a standard you're expecting the game to meet, theories of cut content won't crop up.

Korriban: Nah. Korriban was short, but that's it. And as it is, there wasn't anything cut from Korriban, unless you count M4-78, which was only tied to Korriban later on in forum communities. Unless you're expecting the planet to be a certain length with a jedi master at the end (with the obvious conclusion that if there isn't, it must have been cut), it'll only be a nag.

These are good points.

The cuts in KotoR I were invisible. There was nothing missing. Would it have been nice to be able to go to Sleheyron? Sure. Was this missing in the game? Not at all.

With Kotor II, it's different. During large parts of the game, you stumble across areas that have not been cleaned up. There are doors with activators that will never be activated. There are areas on the minimap that will never be accessible. This makes it obvious that stuff was not finished. On the other hand, everything before the Jedi Council on Dantooine makes sense. The droid planet is not necessary for the story. Neither is the droid factory. It would have been nice to get the information where the HK-50s came from, but it's not necessary. I think that complaints in this regard are not really justified.

It's after the end of the jedi masters that the game gets the rushed and incomplete feeling. Nihilus is a bit lackluster, although there are still all necessary elements present. Telos Academy is a bit short, but okay. It's on Malachor where everything falls apart. This is the only place where I really see an obvious lack of necessary plot elements, and this lack is very frustrating. Everything else is more a matter of a missing cleanup.

You couldn't have known anything else save what you felt and what you thought should have been there. Fans have no way of knowing whether or not there was cut content at all, save gut feeling. And as long as Lucas arts doesn't encourage that, they won't have problems with annoying fans.

If you tell the public about a problem, they're going to demand it be "fixed". Because the majority of fans don't understand the process. So in order to avoid a tiresome debacle, Lucas arts doesn't endorse a content patch.

I came into KOTOR 2 expecting to hate it as I had heard about all of the glitches and cut content. However when I got into it I started to feel it wasn't so half-assed.

So yeah, I do think they should have waited a bit before releasing it (Xbox still had a few more years on it) and money may have been a factor but the people who actually made the game seemed to have put in a ton of effort. If LucasArts gives them a more reasaonable time boundary then I think we can see a fully developed third KOTOR.

But if they don't listen them I'm just going to keep away from the gaming store and plug in KOTOR 1 for a while.

Archived