Home

Sunset

VampireNaomi

• 1 month later...

The problem with free versions is that they are sort of "if you want more, pay" stuff, where you are entirely limited. Some time ago I was working with this music composer/MIDI converter, and could only record up to five seconds (the song I wanted to convert was 2 minutes long).

That's not the case with Open Canvas. Of course, if you want all the super special effects that come with the later versions, you have to pay. However, if you know what to do, you'll be fine with the free version.

For example, here is a piece of art by Jenny, coloured entirely in the free version. Man, if only I could do that...

I think it was both coloured and drawn in that software. Coloured at least.

What does that software you mentioned do? Edit photos so that they look like art? That sounds like a lot of fun. :D

Yes, the language was Finnish. I don't think it's difficult, but it's different from Indo-European languages. Isn't Spanish part of that language family? Or is there a separate family for languages developed from Latin?

Yeah the Photos to Art thing makes a normal photograph turn into the technique you want to. I used to have this Rose, and also a Nuclear explosion, as an avatar, and I changed them every day into a new style. It's quite fun, try it out some day.

Yes, the language was Finnish. I don't think it's difficult, but it's different from Indo-European languages. Isn't Spanish part of that language family? Or is there a separate family for languages developed from Latin?

Unless I am mistaken, the division is Indo-European Languages; which divides in some other branches amongst these, Latin-derived ones (Lenguas Romances, in Spanish); and furthermore into each dialect, like Spanish, Rumanian, Italian, etc.

You are the one who studies the subject, so correct me if I am wrong :D.

• 1 month later...

Hee! The site is in Finnish! The site is in Finnish! Finnish is very hard. I used to know how to say "I like rhubarb pie", but I forget. I miss the girl from Finland who used to be here. :(

Nice picture, by the way. :) I cant draw Meche at all.

Yes, mouse is all I've got. I haven't even seen those fancy pen things in my life. Do you know if they're any good?

They are good, but only if you buy expensive tablets. Instead I just sketch out art in pencil, go over it in thin black pen, scan that in, and turn it into a black & white image (that means that all of the lines I drew in the pen are perfectly smooth on the edges, and the colour can easily be filled in)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Klia. A lot of graphics tablets are fairly poor, but the Wacom ones are particularly reputable and deliver hundreds of levels of touch sensitivity, allowing for very precise drawing and shading — they also run without batteries, and as far as I'm aware are the industry standard.

It's kind of difficult to get used to at first, as you're drawing onto one thing and the image is appearing elsewhere. After a little persistance you will become fairly proficient though, and I know various people in the games industry who swear by tablets for creating textures and other 2D art for use on characters (skins) and on the environment.

Wacom do actually have one which works like the Nintendo DS, and you quite literally draw onto a flat monitor; unfortunately, these are very expensive and only for the professionals with killer salaries.

Whether or not the aforementioned expensive model is actually worth it is debatable though, considering that the more basic models are so much cheaper, and quite affordable for most people. It's also debatable whether or not it's necessary to get a large one, unless you're known for drawing with

Whatever the case though, they are certainly a good thing to have. ;)

here is a piece of art by Jenny, coloured entirely in the free version. Man, if only I could do that...

Hehe thank you :D. This thread pumps a decent amount of visitors to my site, so I though I might as well register here. And yes, the site's in Finnish, which is surprisingly my native language.

Was that coloured or drawn in that software?, it's amazing.

Both :). I used a Wacom A6-sized drawing tablet back then, and it served me well for all those years. I must say that it was a good investment, it cost 99€ and still works like new. An A6 is okay for colouring and small drawings, but with larger screen resos it's small size makes it less precise (I got my new and shiny Intuos3 A5 just today, had to get a bigger one because of my studies and my larger tft).

It's kind of difficult to get used to at first, as you're drawing onto one thing and the image is appearing elsewhere.

I wouldn't know, you're not looking at anything while pointing with a mouse, so it's not that difficult to master a tablet either. I figured it out in a couple of minutes with my first tablet, though now I've got some small problems with getting used to the new one.

Wacom is by far the industry standard. I've heard several horror stories of other brands, mostly about incopatible drivers, batteries running out, unbalanced styluses or strange jitters or other malfunctioning while drawing.

Hi, Zhenny! Do you know Grim Fandango or did you just register because of the thread? I'm really hoping you'll say yes to the first option since Finnish GF fans are incredibly hard to find. ;) Whichever the case, welcome.

You make those drawing tablets sound like a dream. I wish I could engage in a conversation about them, but my knowledge is rather lacking.

Archived