Home

Urban Sprawl killing my enthusiasm for SWG

TashaG

Heya all,

Here I am a complete SWG noob, I actually was snared by the 15 days free with the game free if I subscribe offer.

Well, NGE has good stuff and bad stuff. My opinions of game play can be found in other threads here. I recently finished the Noob space station stuff (actually got bored and wanted to see the "real" game. So I left for Tattooene (sp?), found out that I had to work for Jabba killing rats and other vermin (real starwars...riiiiiiiggghhht!), Got the parts for my rattletrap landspeeder (cool), so I decide to explore somewhat see some other parts of the planet I am on. Well as soon as I go over the first hill around I find player dwellings and harvesters. I explore around more and find more and more of the same. Infact there isn't a square meter that doesn't seem to have some kind of player generated building on it. Of course it's all empty of actual players. If those players are actually on I would imagine they are off helping ObiWan doing stuff on Mustafar.

All of those dwellings just proved to me that there wasn't really any point to going on. There wasn't anything really cool to see and anything that was really cool prob has a harvester parked in the middle of the whole thing.

They really need to Kill all player Dwellings. Perhaps build some communities where people can purchase instanced housing (ie EQ2). This sprawl does nothing to help the immersion in the game. All it does for me a new player is to show how small the planet zone actually IS.

Honestly what SOE needs to do is to put the servers back to a version that keeps their base. Then they need to work on SWG II which is a new game that they can use to make a game that is more accessable to a wider non-Computergame playing base (ala WoW). They really need to reflect on what parts of NGE were fun and what parts were NOT fun. What things made the game feel like you were a citizen of the Star Wars Galaxy and what made you think you were in a generic Sci-fi MMO.

One thing that I really HATE about SWG is the real LACK of info on my character. Like on the station, there were guys who would give you weapon training on all melee and Ranged weapons. While it was cool that you would get a free weapon, it wasn't really apparent if there was any point doing that training. I mean I definately hit just as often if I trained as if I didn't (Player skill means a bunch in NGE).

So I think I am going to join the legion of Canceled SWG players. It's really too bad the game feels so Half-azzed and unfinished. I played some DDO and for a beta quality* game, it was much more polished then SWG. That's pathetic given that SWG is over 2years old and has 3 expansions released.

The best thing that could happen is that the Emperor (GL) pulls the plug on this experiment. Perhaps he could pull a Steve Jobs and suck up all of the SWG source code and team, so LA could run the game without the black hole of suckage that is SOE. SOE has really become the Microsoft of MMOs. They buy up decent MMO's, get rid of all of the original talent, bloat the code, add unwanted features, make the product less fun to use. wash rinse repeat.

Tasha

* PS I really disliked DDO, it had the same kind of twitch combat system that SWG has, but kept the turn based system too. so it was kind of neither. Cruddy game, great promise, crap game.

Why oh why can't anyone make good games out of licences? Heck it even took LA forever go make a decent SW game. I guess it's back to KOTOR and KOTOR II and being lonely while I play... at least those games are fun and feel like starwars through out.

I hear ya Tasha and I feel your pain. I haven't played Galaxies since the last time they had DoubleXP, sometime before Publish 26. I already have joined the legions of the unsubscribed as my last gaming day was just then.

I've had enough of the NGE. They have taken a hundred steps back and regressed to 1997 style MMORPG, as if this were new territory for them. They've fumbled and refuse to try to recover because they won't admit they've dropped the ball. It truly is a poor, poor game now.

I agree with you on all the player structures, harvestors, and other player things.

And SOE... Pfft, we all hate them, and wish that LA would break their deal with them.

You realize that LA makes all the decisions? LA decided that becoming a jedi would be easy, LA probably decided to do the NGE, SOE is just at their leash.

Guest DarthMaulUK

From a veterans point of view, the game has changed. Its completely lost its sense of community. All these changes are all good in principle but you cant change a 2 year old game in just 2 weeks!

I look back to the early days and the problems we had but they are nothing compared to NGE. Galaxies was bad before but playable and your guild/community kept you coming back to purchase new armour, weapons etc to make better equipment for yourself. Galaxies should change its slogan to 'where everybody is a nobody' because that what it feels like.

NGE removed the ability to customise your character by putting together great templates. The game has ALWAYS lacked content and this has been its biggest downfall. SOE have to remember that you cant keep charging £20 for a flawed expansion every couple of months and players demand new challenging content at all levels.

Galaxies didnt need NGE it needed someone who actually knew about game design but it will never happen. If they decide on a Galaxies 2, god help us and lets face it, if it has SOE on the cover, no one will buy it.

Warcraft has slapped SOE in the face and shown them how to do things. Blizzard have such high standards and look at the rewards - 5 MILLION people subscribing to the game in under a year. Galaxies has taken 36 months to reach just 1 million (with 200k playing) - poor show.

DMUK

You realize that LA makes all the decisions? LA decided that becoming a jedi would be easy, LA probably decided to do the NGE, SOE is just at their leash.

Yeah, but who runs the servers? SOE does, and who are the devs? Aren't that SOE's people aswell?

I think LA should be a little more involved in this game.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really like seeing so many structures on Tatooine... no one in their right mind would really want to live on that planet realistically, plus seeing so many player cities on Tatooine kind of distracts from the whole purpose of the planet to begin with. I do miss the old days, before player cities, when you would have vast expanses with nothing in sight - except maybe the occasional harvester or house in the middle of nowhere.

Talus is another one, this was my starting planet - now it is choked with alot of player cities - I can understand the desire to have them, but really, most of them are ghost towns right now. I zoom through alot of player cities (sometimes looking to buy something specific) and rarely encounter anyone in them anymore, I'm lucky if I even find a stocked vendor.

Archived