Home

Need help removing spyware program from my bro's computer ASAP

manoman81

Hey everyone. My brother downloaded a program, at least I think it's this one, called Spy Fighter Pro. It has completely taken over his computer. It has changed his background to something that says that his computer is completely packed with spyware. Thing is that we can't change the background picture. I did the whole right-click-properties thing to change the display and EVERYTHING is ghosted. I can't change a thing. If anyone knows anything about this or has a link to how to uninstall this crap, please either post here of pm me directly.

Step 1: Bash your brother half to death with the keyboard for downloading anything they try to pass off as free.

Step 2: Get HiJack This and get an idea of how infected your computer is.

Step 3: Try to do a system restore.

Step 4: Finish off your brother if Step 3 fails.

Step 5: The big F methinks.

He didn't realize he had installed. What can I say, he's a n00b. I tried looking for it in Add/remove. Not there. I just found the background html file and delted it. It overwrote the shel files i think. System restore is next.

Scratch it. The Windows files a re corrupted. Just gonna have to reinstall it. If anybody comes up with something within the next 2 hours, let me know. Thanks.

Hey everyone. My brother downloaded a program, at least I think it's this one, called Spy Fighter Pro. It has completely taken over his computer. It has changed his background to something that says that his computer is completely packed with spyware. Thing is that we can't change the background picture. I did the whole right-click-properties thing to change the display and EVERYTHING is ghosted. I can't change a thing. If anyone knows anything about this or has a link to how to uninstall this crap, please either post here of pm me directly.

whoa wait that sounds like a virus run a virus scan

also did his home page change and can you not change it back if this happened you may have a very pesky peice of spyware a very annoying version of Vx2

I'd get microsoft antispyware beta and boot to safe mode and run it see it that helps

Revan: No it didn't change his default homepage. I'm actually pretty surprised by that.

What I ended up doing was going back to an even earlier restore point and then going through the registry. I deleted a crap load of stuff that was not needed. I uninstalled his Norton Antivirus and installed Internet security & Antivirus. After running a system scan twice, I think we got everything. There were a couple of log files at the bottom of his C drive listing. Deleted those and things seemed to get better. There were also a few exes in the Windows folder that were crap. I can't remember what exactly I did but I think restoring back to almost 2 months ago did the trick for the most part. Whatever this thing does to a computer is just crazy. And we weren't about to pay the $60 to buy "this great product" to remove their virus. That's why I go to the swamp.

Is it (was it rather) perchance Spy Sherrif?

It's a nasty Trojan going around. Here's a good link to fix it and you should be able to restore your desktop once you follow the steps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How_to_remove_SpySheriff_Winstallexe_Spysheriffexe-t22402.html

winstall.exe & desktop.html is the culprit... plus there's a .dat file embedded in your Start Menu Program (check under either his username account or the "All Users" account using Explorer)...

There's also a .dll file in there somewhere that I think the instructions miss out on.. but if you follow the steps then run an anti-virus it should find it... all I can remember is that it starts with a "G" :rolleyes:

Anywho, hope that helps anyone else that might get ahold of this nasty thing...(I notice you got yours fixed) :)

Yeah, Spy Sheriff was in one of the searches I did when looking for the files. I did find the wininstall and the html files. Those were the first to go. I think NIS got the dll files. Thanks for the link though. I'm gonna go back and double check for everything.

• 8 years later...

Archived