Home

1.02 vs 1.04

DSbr-FlashRam

Some might not be aware of this, but the same team that designed and balanced 1.02 is the same team that designed quake 4. The "cream of the crop" at Raven. 1.03, 1.04, and JKA were all designed by a lesser team at raven. In my opinion, JKA is a gaming disaster. But I feel like 1.04 was a very solid version in the JK series. Let's rank and discuss the two most popular JK2 versions.

Full Weapon

----------------

While I do enjoy the strafe graphics in 1.02, 1.04 is clearly better for full weapon. Force powers like Drain, Heal, Rage, and Protect are absurdly over powered in 1.02 (especially rage which lasts for ****in ever in 1.02). Also, the ridiculous falling over when pulled may be good for a few laughs in sabers, but it's just flat out stupid in full weapon.

Saber only NF

----------------

I actually like 1.02 nf sabers more. I feel like it's more exciting (which isn't saying much considering how boring this gametype is overall) and I believe it does take more skill (again, not saying much considering how easy saber nf is).

Saber only FF

----------------

I've played this a bit since I installed 1.02 to test it out. I've gotten to the point (in about 8 hours of total play) where I can easily hang in duels with people who have clearly played this version and gamemode for years. It's fun, and a nice change of pace...but 1.04 is still far superior for saber only FF. The luck factor in 1.02 is infuriating. 1.04 s/o FF is an extremely solid, balanced, and skill based gamemode. 1.02 is fun though.

Community/Overall Gameplay

---------------

both communities are filled with whining, bitter newbies who go into e-rages when they lose. AWB and I were banned from LM OUTHOUSE for beating them in a clan match. Hilariously, they kept insisting that 125 was the default force regen. I said "dude, just put in /g_forceregentime in the console and it will say Default:200 right there". Even with this THEY REFUSED TO ADMIT THAT IT SAID 200 WAS DEFAULT AND BOTH CLAIMED IT WAS STILL 125!!!! Astonishing. Anyways AWB and I had barely played sabers at all in 1.02 (AWB under one hour) but with pure teamwork we were able to defeat this supposedly strong 1.02 clan in 2v2 tdm. They bitched about our tactics and banned us before the match was even over. Someone claimed this clan called EoS was the best saber ff clan in 1.02, so I went on the server they play on and challenged them to a tdm. They refused to even answer me, instead deciding to charge me in gangs of 3 or 4 vs 1. I asked three times, they never did answer. Clearly, 1.02 clans are just as pansy as 1.04 clans. However, there is far far less crying about laming in 1.02, there are NO admin mods (very nice), and there are far less cheats for 1.02. 1.02 is very unstable with many strange crashes. Overall, 1.02 is definately very fun, but 1.04 gets the nod for competitive gameplay and level of skill required to master it. I will say that guns vs sabers is more balanced in 1.02, since a good saberist can get a luck kill here or there with the one hit kill moves. In 1.04 even the greatest saberist on earth couldn't get a frag in a 1v1 vs even an average gunner.

....(which isn't saying much considering how boring this gametype is overall) and I believe it does take more skill (again, not saying much considering how easy saber nf is).

Well... I guess we'll just have to "agree to disagree" then. :)

Saber only FF

----------------

.......It's fun, and a nice change of pace...but 1.04 is still far superior for saber only FF. The luck factor in 1.02 is infuriating. 1.04 s/o FF is an extremely solid, balanced, and skill based gamemode. 1.02 is fun though.

I couldn't agree more, 100%.

Community/Overall Gameplay

---------------

both communities are filled with whining, bitter newbies who go into e-rages when they lose.

Find me one game that this doesn't apply to! Though I wouldn't be to harsh, there's alot of good players out there that are trying to have fun.

When you get drama clans, noobs and plain sh** talkers it's easy to slip into this type of thinking.

AWB and I were banned from LM OUTHOUSE for beating them in a clan match. Hilariously, they kept insisting that 125...

Ever notice that you get banned/censored when your actually right about something?

This type of behavior resonates through every game out there. I don't think it's restricted to one game or even a certain version. There will always be asshole admin/clans/users until everyone in the world is a nice guy.

In essence, don't hold your breath.

Honestly, I never encountered anything like this the whole time I played enemy territory, painkiller, or Doom 3...the other games i've played quite a bit of other than JK2. Our clan, DSbr, is a strictly full weapon clan. For laughs, we decided to go around challenging saber clans to matches. We beat every saber clan we challenged in tdm, including the 1.04 clan LM (not to be confused with the aforementioned 1.02 LM) who were supposedly by far the best saberists in North American JK2. LM was the only clan that didnt' go into a pouting frenzy after the loss, although they did complain about our tactics a bit. DSbr vs LM Saber Only No Force TFFA:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2582/dsbrvslmsonf1yt.jpg

This also goes to prove my point at just how easy saber only NF is for skilled gamers. If these saberists had tried to play us in our gametype, full weapon, the results would have been crushing and total. They would not have gotten even one frag. We would have had over 100 frags, easily. I am not just talking ****, as anyone who knows of DSbr can attest to.

Honestly, I never encountered anything like this the whole time I played enemy territory, painkiller, or Doom 3...the other games i've played quite a bit of other than JK2.

Well if you mean the shallow cry baby players then yes, you are correct. It seems there's alot of them compared to many other games I've played online including BF1942 *shiver*

Our clan, DSbr, is a strictly full weapon clan. For laughs, we decided to go around challenging saber clans to matches. We beat every saber clan we challenged in tdm...

Well great.... I hope thats not what this thread is really about. If you look back in the history of this forum, there was all kinds of RPGers v.s. Competitive flame wars all over the place. In the end, who cares.. I'm a firm believer that there is skill in both realms and denigrating either of them is silly.

.....including the 1.04 clan LM (not to be confused with the aforementioned 1.02 LM) who were supposedly by far the best saberists in North American JK2. LM was the only clan that didnt' go into a pouting frenzy after the loss, although they did complain about our tactics a bit.

Who said they were the best saberists in North America? Granted they're not a bunch of noobs though I've seen them owned hard and owned by myself. I generally stick to full force saber servers (fragrock, obs) though when I want to duel I go in there or to some cheesy saber ffa.

Though taking into account that you come from a full weapon background, it is funny that you owned them in fact I think I'll bring it up when I go in there next time. Maybe they'll come here to flame you for being full weapons? :fire2:

This also goes to prove my point at just how easy saber only NF is for skilled gamers. If these saberists had tried to play us in our gametype, full weapon, the results would have been crushing and total. They would not have gotten even one frag. We would have had over 100 frags, easily. I am not just talking ****, as anyone who knows of DSbr can attest to.

Well yeah...... because they aren't full weapons people!

Yeah, we also defeated the "best" full force saber only clan. At the time they called themselves "101". they change their clan name alot. Anyways, about half way through the match we were beating them by 20 or so frags and they banned JaX and I.

http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/6351/dsbrvfkffso0yl.jpg

I asked obs for a match but they completely refused to play us unless we played on some weird mod called "duelers mod" that I had never heard of. We play on basejk, but are willing to play newbies on their little mods and with their little cheat settings (0 regen, as the 101 match where we played them on their own server with 0 regen) so I agreed. They then backed out from even that.

lol I've never heard of the 101 clan but I haven't had too good of a time on obs lately. Seems that they enjoy your presence when they're not getting ownt and they have "honor laming laws" for the administration only, if your a regular user they don't apply to you because your not special.

I hate to talk so much smack but you guys really get me going as you do touch on the darkside of ff/nf ffa/dueling servers even though I disagree in principal regarding some matters you've brought up.

What's your server ip? It's been a while since I played full weapons and I'd like to join a server free of cry babies....even if I do get pwntished.

right now the server is on 1.02 since i'm still ****ing around in that version.

^4Shockwave ^1Fraghouse|42ms|216.118.117.114:28070

I've started a fake Shockwave clan in 1.02 for kicks. Shockwave was an oldschool TWL clan.

All ffers in 1.04 are total and complete loser newbies. They mod the game to make it simpler (0 force regen). They want to think as little as possible when they play. It's pure spam over skill. We proved just how horrible they are by beating them on their own settings which they play all day and we never play on. Nobody in 1.04 saber FF has any skill at all. And yes, they only start enforcing lamer rules if you start beating their clan members badly.

right now the server is on 1.02 since i'm still ****ing around in that version.

^4Shockwave ^1Fraghouse|42ms|216.118.117.114:28070

I've started a fake Shockwave clan in 1.02 for kicks. Shockwave was an oldschool TWL clan.

Well tell me when it's 1.04 and I'll stop on by.

All ffers in 1.04 are total and complete loser newbies. They mod the game to make it simpler (0 force regen). They want to think as little as possible when they play. It's pure spam over skill. We proved just how horrible they are by beating them on their own settings which they play all day and we never play on. Nobody in 1.04 saber FF has any skill at all.....

Flashram, I don't want this to turn into a little argument. I also know that I haven't been here very long but I don't think the intention of this forum is to put down others.

It's probably people like that manchild "melord" that make you say things like that and I can understand though offending a huge segment of the game population because you've beat a few of their clans doesn't give you the green light to just bash everyone.

Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so.

I feel qualified to judge the FF community since I was a member of FK, the original FF beasts who dominated saber only FF on the TWL ladders and tournaments...as any oldschool player will tell you. given my nearing 4 years of expertise in jk2, all playing with the best of the best in the competitive community, I think that my opinions on this matter carry some weight. All of the current FF clans are clueless thraaaap naps with no skill at all who put forceregen on 0 so they don't have to think. They complain and whine about anything that they can't compete at ("LEGIT BASEJK REGEN IS NEWBIE, GUNS ARE NEWBIE", etc). They call themselves "ff duelers" when all they do is run around FFA maps...they don't even truly duel, since competition duels are done on DUEL MAPS on BASEJK SETTINGS....but whatever. they are ffa public serve r newbies, end of story

DSbr-FlashRam-"right now the server is on 1.02 since i'm still ****ing around in that version. ^4Shockwave ^1Fraghouse|42ms|216.118.117.114:28070"

Ill be lookin for that server.

An force regen needs to be slightly higher than default, otherwise you got people draining you dry an grip kick killing you to death an theres nothing you can do about it. You need force regen just high enough to get enough force for one pull/push while getting gripped after being drained dry.

If force regen is too low drain is too powerful, if its too high light force powers are too powerful, like protection ect.

the server is now called USA ELITE NO FORCE DEATHMATCH. I made it no force nf duel with weapons enabled. very fun I must say.

I don't agree with changing basejk settings, there is no point in playing that way. the end conclusion is, as I said in my review, that FF in 1.02 is flawed.

With force regen too low, force/saber combos become very limit, recoverys an counter attacks severly limit effectively dumbing down gameplay. Thats why you play with higher force regen you have more freedom to use your forces to set up your opponent. If its faster to suicide than to sit an regen force then its too low regen. No force guns? Why dont you just go play doom or quake? I mean really whats the point?

I really hate it when people claim to be the best this or that. Just stfu an fight an let your skill do the talking

Honestly to say your old school an all that BS, if you ever really played 1.02 you would have never patched to 1.03 an 1.04. Any truely great player that got into 1.02 wouldnt tolerate the nerfs in 1.03+ an utter removale of virtually all combos an counter attacks with sabers an force.

Server doesnt seem to be up btw.

The server is always up

^4U^7S^1A ^1Elite ^7No Force ^1Deathmatching|57ms|216.118.117.114:28070

If you have to start changing settings in something, then the gamemode is flawed. Basejk 1.04 is a masterpiece of balance.

jk2 is different, and more complex, than both Doom and Quake.

I really hate it when people claim to be the best this or that. Just stfu an fight an let your skill do the talking

i'll just lmfao at this one since you were saying you are the greatest 1.02 player ever in another thread.

Honestly to say your old school an all that BS, if you ever really played 1.02 you would have never patched to 1.03 an 1.04. Any truely great player that got into 1.02 wouldnt tolerate the nerfs in 1.03+ an utter removale of virtually all combos an counter attacks with sabers an force.

uh you mean besides every single last competition player who played on the TWL, CAL, XTGL etc ladders? I AM oldschool pal. And DSbr was a JK1 DF2 clan that moved to jk2 when it came out. honestly man, you're a nobody in jk2. You were never on any ladders or tournaments or in any high profile competition groups. you're just a 1.02 public server newbie who bashes all gametypes they suck at (full weapon, 1.04, etc).

With force regen too low, force/saber combos become very limit, recoverys an counter attacks severly limit effectively dumbing down gameplay. Thats why you play with higher force regen you have more freedom to use your forces to set up your opponent. If its faster to suicide than to sit an regen force then its too low regen. No force guns? Why dont you just go play doom or quake? I mean really whats the point?

Server doesnt seem to be up btw.

PLZ 2 NOT DO

Huffity Puffity?

jk2 is different, and more complex, than both Doom and Quake.

There are alot of people that disagree with this assertion, alot.

i'll just lmfao at this one since you were saying you are the greatest 1.02 player ever in another thread.

So what? I've seen the best of the best owned by noobs...past experience only goes so far.

you're a nobody in jk2.

It's a video game dude....

you're just a 1.02 public server newbie who bashes all gametypes they suck at (full weapon, 1.04, etc).

Why the put downs? Who cares what type of games and settings we play on, honestly it's so asinine to offend others because of it.

Personally I like 0 regen because I don't remember seeing a force meter on the right side of the screen when I watch Star Wars.

IMO the only reason anyone would limit the force power on their server is to level the playing field, no one wants to get ownt.

The more force the better, craaaazzzzy sh|t happens man!

I never claimed to be the best. I believe I posted claimin to be the best makes you noob? no? An another time you mentioned about the best players being those that invented pull/kick/throw, ect. An I happen to mention I was one such player, I didnt say I was the best.

But then I see you declaring how good 1.04 because you an your gang of players are the best.

Yet I dont think you ever really played 1.02 much an make all these assumptions without actually knowing. Tell me did you start out playing 1.04? Im guessin you did.

Just put up the server so I can show you how good 1.02 is, lol. Like I have said before Ill play 1.04, Ill play weapons, Im daring you, Im callin you out, you gonna stand there or skin that smoke wagon boy? Do I smell fear?

An you can judge for yourself.

LOL an you talk about changing the force regen is changing the game, well um, making no force with guns is changing the game no? The only reason to play without force is if you cant use it very well. Force an sabers are the one thing that makes this game different from all other FPS.

LOL you think all the greatest players out there aspire to "make a name" for themselves an bother with touranments an ladders?

Its that same pompus BS I see all the time, players afraid to play an lose instead of just enjoying the challenge.

More concerned with their reputation, what a fukin joke.

Archived