Home

PFF Q&A part 2

shadowsfm

i looked around and didnt find it posted here, so i desided i will. if it is, you can close this thread

Hola Guys!

Sorry for the delay, just got back from our holiday party. As promised, here are the questions for this week.

Have a Happy Holidays guys!

1) Can we place planets where we want to on the galactic map, as in making a new spot for them, or do we have to place them in empty slots that you have pre-placed?

Delphi – Yes, modders will have the ability to add new planets to the galaxy at any location via XML.

Would it also be possible to keep the planets hidden from the AI/Player so they don’t rush to the place the first chance they get for any possible exploits? And can we also create our own new planets without replacing existing ones?

Delphi – Yes

2) Will there be a mod list menu or a mod folder such as in Battlefield 1942?

Delphi – We currently have a section in our game that allows the players to switch between official and custom maps/galactic conquest scenarios. We’re also looking into ways to setup a unique “MOD” directory structure. This will help to better organize edited files and keep them separate from the core game.

3) We've heard that the population cap in space is 20, but that it will be hardly noticeable. Could you tell us how many pop cap slots a Death Star and Star Destroyer will take?

Delphi – In space tactical, capital ships take up to 3 pop cap slots. This would equal around 6 ISD’s on the battlefield. The Death Star does not use space tactical pop cap slots. Instead it is tied to the player’s galactic pop cap. So you Imperial players can rest easy knowing that you’ll be able to bring in support for those well defended planets.

Will fighter squadrons count against this limit?

Delphi - Only Rebel fighter squadrons use pop cap slots in space tactical. When in play, they take up 1 slot per squadron. As a small note, Imperial fighters are launched from carrier ships and are not specifically counted against the cap.

As I’ve stated before, this is hardly noticeable due to the fact that you can pull from your reinforcements at any time.

4) Delph-PG mentioned that you have another 50 models, why aren’t they in the game? Will they have any role in the collector's edition?

Delphi – As the design became more solid, we started picking and choosing which units worked best. We also had to get units approved through Lucas and sometimes they just didn’t make the cut.

5)In the Nexus Q&A you said that speeders will go into a circling pattern and cannot land. Do speeders have a landing platform for them to reload on or anything of that nature? If no, is it easier for enemy AA to shot these down? Along the same lines, how would you go about bringing rebel speeders to attack an enemy planet, how do you transfer them between worlds?

Delphi – No, it is up to the player to move speeders out of harms way. Like all land based units, they are moved via transports while in space.

Wait wait wait I'm confused now. If I'm playin Galactic Conquest mode, and I want 2 invade a heavily defended planet, I'm only allowed 2 bring 6 ISDs with me? If thats right, I'm am heavily POd.

No. You can bring 30 ISD with you. It's just that you can only have 6 fighting at a time. As soon as one dies you can plop in another one to fill up the cap slot vacated.

One thing that I find potentially scary is that the TIEs do not count against the cap. Now let's say that the ISD can hold its 6 groups of fighters in this game. That would be 36 groups of fighters and bombers! :) My fleet will get owned lol. 6 Mon Cals vs 6 ISDs will lose badly because rebel fighters groups cost 1 cap each.

No. You can bring 30 ISD with you. It's just that you can only have 6 fighting at a time. As soon as one dies you can plop in another one to fill up the cap slot vacated.

One thing that I find potentially scary is that the TIEs do not count against the cap. Now let's say that the ISD can hold its 6 groups of fighters in this game. That would be 36 groups of fighters and bombers! :) My fleet will get owned lol. 6 Mon Cals vs 6 ISDs will lose badly because rebel fighters groups cost 1 cap each.

Yeah, but you could have more fighters to "plop" down to the battlefield.

Oh, and here's the pop cap:

:vsd: = 3 pop cap.

frigate = 2 pop cap.

Fighters = 1 (rebels only)

etc.

Not really because X-wings have hyperdrives they are idependent of the cruisers. Ties are not one could consider them an effective anti air defense for the ISDs. Where as X-wings are like the all round best fighter bomber like the F-14s of space combat. I could see people using them idependently in raid missions.

Well this is about the first time I am slightly worried about news. So only red squadron can destroy the death star. So that pretty much means your gonna have to hunt it down yourself and/or anticipate where its going to attack. And since you cant stop something while it's being constructed, as soon as the death star is made all the empire has to do is keep it moving so the rebels cannot attack it. This only applies in galatic conquest so im ify on this decesion.

I'm a little worried myself how the pop cap stuff is going to turn out now...If reb fighters count off on the pop cap it sounds like they're likely overpowered units.

Also Imp fleets with smaller amounts of SDs end up with very few fighters to counter the rebel fighters. Especially since the fighters take a while to recharge on deploy.

Imagine this if you will, 6 ISDs put out 6 Ties as quick as you please, but 8 squadrons of predeployed X-wings rip through them fast fast and start picking away at the ISDs which arn't exactly anti-fighter platforms.

I guess there is balance in there...I'm just afraid that starfighters might end up being a little overpowered...

hmmm...we shall see I guess.

As to the deathstar sucking...I think I kinda like the freebie forces that come with the death star that don't count against the pop cap. As mentioned it has a small defensive fleet similar to other space stations. That little bit of an edge may produce huge dividends in battle.

Archived