Home

Star Wars Battlefront 3 (wishlists)

lordzack

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's stick with what's in the movies. The Yuuzhan Vong stuff is controversial enough. Let people mod it if they want to play games in that setting.

Things I'd like to see added to future installments:

- Larger scale battles. Bots + humans for multiplayer. Lots of vehicles, large maps, etc.

- More realistic combat across the board. Especially on the infantry side. I HATE games with cone fire, and I really can't stand how many shots it takes to kill an enemy in this game. One shot, one kill. MAYBE two or three at the absolute most on a heavily armored opponent (IE: Dark Trooper). To offset the high damage, make it require actual skill to aim. Also make the movement speed slower for normal movement, but keep sprinting fast. Remove the ability to fire accurately while sprinting (you can spray and pray, though). And for god's sake make the blaster rounds actually fly QUICKLY. When I see the AI dodge them it makes me think even CIS droids have mystical Jedi powers.

- More DIFFERENT maps for the two wars. Yes, there'd be some overlap, but it'd be nice to see a totally different Tatooine map for Clone Wars era than for GCW. The GCW Kashyyk (sp?) level should be totally different from Clone Wars Kashyyk. Know what I mean?

- More differentiation between the factions down to the unit level. Other folks have covered this.

- If they're going to recycle the old maps (which is fine) give us new ones too.

- More options for single player campaigns with a storyline.

Things I'd like to see removed:

- Heroes and Jedi. Enough already. Let's leave the game about grunts in the war. The emphasis on heroes encourages lonewolf, self-centered, non-team-oriented behavior in gaming. That should get you killed, even if you're Boba Fett or Darth Vader. If you want to be a Jedi, fine. Do it in a different game. The Jedi are the focus of enough games at this point. Leave them out of this one. Be a hero because you helped your teammates out of a tough spot, not because you UNLokxed FTWInzorz! or whatever.

- Reduce the spamminess of gameplay. The guns in the game feel like quake guns, not like Star Wars guns. They fire way too rapidly, but of course, hit for practically no damage. Plus, chainguns? Mortar launchers? What the hell?? Star Wars didn't have ANY of these things. NO game put out by LucasArts since the original Dark Forces has gotten this right. They all basically cloned Doom's arsenal of machineguns, rocket launchers, etc. I'm cool with the heavy weapons class having an anti-vehicle rocket launcher. But the rest of the infantry should have standard blasters of one sort or another. It can't be that hard to differentiate between 'em in terms of performance. One could be better at armor-piercing, the other at soft targets, etc., etc. But enough with all the damn quake-style weapons in Star Wars games.

- Change the standard turrets to E-Web repeating blasters. It's a minor nitpick, but the whole rotating armored turret bugs me.

- Purple armor on the clone commanders? Um...what's wrong with basic white?

Well, they could always create multiple modes. Realism for those who want it, and arcade for those who don't. Realism could have barrel sway and kick, and maybe scoped/iron sight views. Arcade could be like it is now. But personally, I get bothered by even three to four hits when the whole game just feels so spammy.

Let's stick with what's in the movies. The Yuuzhan Vong stuff is controversial enough. Let people mod it if they want to play games in that setting.
Do you mean as in the general timeline with the movies, or the movies exclusively? I hope you mean the former, as it really wouldn't be a game if it only took material from the movies

Things I'd like to see removed:

- Heroes and Jedi. Enough already. Let's leave the game about grunts in the war. The emphasis on heroes encourages lonewolf, self-centered, non-team-oriented behavior in gaming. That should get you killed, even if you're Boba Fett or Darth Vader. If you want to be a Jedi, fine. Do it in a different game. The Jedi are the focus of enough games at this point. Leave them out of this one. Be a hero because you helped your teammates out of a tough spot, not because you UNLokxed FTWInzorz! or whatever.

I have to disagree with you on this. Sure, the heroes (namely Jedi) are way overpowered, but if they made them have actual health (instead of a time bar), increase energy used per jump, Force Push, etc., and make them only appear once in a battle would be fair, I think.

- Change the standard turrets to E-Web repeating blasters. It's a minor nitpick, but the whole rotating armored turret bugs me.
I agree E-Webs should be in, but they shouldn't replace the armored turrents entirely. Seeing how the E-Web has no protection, I could see players never using them as they would make easy targets, unlike the armored turrent, which affords a little more protection. I think the E-Web could be used where Combat Engineers could carry them around a battle and deploy them as they see fit. The drawback is that the engineer could only use the ability once; once the turrent is deployed, the combat engineer can never get another so as to spam the battlefield with them.

Do you mean as in the general timeline with the movies, or the movies exclusively? I hope you mean the latter, as it really wouldn't be a game if it only took material from the movies

I have to disagree with you on this. Sure, the heroes (namely Jedi) are way overpowered, but if they made them have actual health (instead of a time bar), increase energy used per jump, Force Push, etc., and make them only appear once in a battle would be fair, I think.

I think the guy meant within the films, not the timeline b/w it.

I have to agree with you about the "no heroes or jedi." It brings a challenge and it adds an edge. And to tell you the honest truth.....I think the "normal" health bars would make heroes better.

I just think the presence of heroes epitomizes and emphasizes the whole "Me first" aspect of gameplay. I mean, there's really no coordination or teamwork that I've seen. That's one thing that, despite its many flaws, Battlefield 2 got right in a BIG way.

Having heroes, upgrades, etc. I think leads people to stat pad and do things that benefit themselves first and their team second. I've seen it in Battlefield 2 and it's ruined the game in a lot of ways. I know a lot of folks disagree, but I think that mechanical guagings of how much you help your team (IE: via points) often encourage bad behavior. The best game I saw that encouraged team play was probably the original Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer, although that could've been the guys I played with back then. Anyway, my gripe on heroes is really that in multiplayer games, everyone wants to be the hero. It ends up with people treating gaming as if it's a single player experience with other people around them, instead of a real team-oriented game. It's cool to have the heroes in single player or to have a "Celebrity deathmatch" mod or whathaveyou, but not for regular straight up gameplay.

As far as the whole timeline thing, I did mean within the timeline of the films, and not necessarily only what's seen in the films. The Yuzaan Vong (or however you spell it) and the whole new jedi order line has been a fairly controversial "reimagining" of the Star Wars franchise, and one that I frankly just don't like. I suspect there's enough people out there who feel the way I do that this is best left to a mod, as is stuff from the KOTOR era.

In terms of the maps, I'd like to see more large scale maps that aren't retreads of the old SWBF1 maps. You can set them on the same planets, but honestly, a lot of the maps are pretty weak and more oriented towards small scale playing.

Yeah, and like I said, my view is this is more for the realm of mods. The NJO books are, 1.) extended EU (as I call it -- EU that occurs well outside of the timeline of either trilogies, and not between the trilogies or shortly before/after), and 2.) not well received by all Star Wars fans. Not only that, they would make exactly zero sense to people who only know Star Wars from the films or cartoons. Adding them in would confuse people and leave them saying "Since when did the frickin' Borg enter the Star Wars universe?" or something like that.

The Vong are a great idea as a replacement faction in a mod of some sort. I'm sure there'd be people who'd want to play them and against them. But there's no way LucasArts will spend resources putting them in SWBF3. It just ain't gonna happen. They're too esoteric, they stray too much from the traditional notions of Star Wars, and they're controversial among hardcore fans anyway. You're talking about a subset of a subset of your gaming population. Better to stick with the OT and PT material.

And before people bring up KOTOR, KOTOR worked because, although it was extended EU material, it also closely resembled the original films. The stuff with the Vong is a total departure from that.

Solo4114 you summed up what I was just about to post. Other than leaving the Jedi though, they should add in a Medic class, no more engineer/medic hybrid, and actual Medic class. and why not get points when you heal people? They had it in the demo and it's completely beyond me why they took it out. Also if anything the AI has gotten dumber, I've seen them wall hack, get trapped in walls, and jump around like spaztic idiots. The over powerdness of vehicles should also return. I'm getting sick of taking five shots at a wookiee, missing everyshot because of the lack of splash damage, and killing him with my AT-AT's funky green lasers of power! The clones should also have the right skin per map. Another thing is, right now I feel like I'm five years old playing with my toy GI Joes, they majorly need to fix the plastic look of everything. The laser's go way to slow, the people all die the exact sameway, and there are no decent physics. Also if they must keep the heroes in, at least give them some insane finishing move for other heroes. Heck it would be so cool to see Boba kneeing Han in the gut (while launching his knee darts), throwing him up, and burning him as he goes down. Don't ask me how they would work it out because chances are they won't. Also they should have the Jub Jub cheat back, and another one where it turns everybody into LEGO mini-figs.

Yeah, even when you hit with the AT-AT's red lasers, it still won't kill the enemy. I know the side mounted lasers are lighter than the heavy chin mounted ones, but come on man. Splash damage needs to come back in a big way. For that matter, I'd make Hoth a lot WIDER and have a few more lines of trenches. But then I suppose the problem would be what if an AT-AT or AT-ST steps in a trench...

It'd be nice if you could turn off foliage on AI maps, too, since the AI doesn't seem to have a problem spotting you in the foliage, but it conceals them nicely.

I'd also like to see maps redesigned to have an actual purposeful layout. Tactically speaking, I mean. Why is this point right here considered a valuable position to hold? Does it have a tactical purpose or is it just some random capture point they stuck here for no real reason?

Maybe it'd make more sense if the Capture mode of gameplay was actually more of a "Push" mode where you have to capture points in a certain order and you can't sneak around behind to capture other points first. This would help make the game a lot more like a real battle and a lot less like a random deathmatch map. You could even include different versions of maps with cap points at different locations. For the more open-ended versions, you have your cap points spaced out the way they do currently. For the "push" mode (or assault or onslaught or whatever), you have the cap points laid out so that each point logically leads to the next, must be captured in order, and has a real strategic purpose to committing troops to attacking and defending that position (IE: this point is a good spot for artillery, that point acts as a natural choke point, etc.).

i think veicles need splash damage back

im sick of wasting all my shots and over heating and not even killing the unit

may be if the veicles health was reduced it would be better

Agreed. Especially on levels like Kashyyk when trying to defend the oil generator.

I also think there should be a Naboo Plains level, but much bigger like the battle in TPM. Also, a Geonosis arena level could be made with Acklay, and other neutral creatures that will attack anybody. Like everytime one is killed another will be released.

I'd like to see vehicle splash damage return as well, to an extent. I'm glad the lasers were weakened personally, I just wish they hadn't been weakened so much. Really I'd like to see splash damage increased, but make most of it non-deadly. So if you get creamed by a laser directly or almost directly your dead, everyone else is just tossed and damaged.

Also instead of decreasing vehicle health I think rockets should deal more damage, but maybe really decrease their accuracy when not locked on, so they spiral out of control or somthing to make them quite powerful, when used against a large target like a group of infantry or a vehcile but far to clumsy and unweildy to use against single targets.

Personally I'd change the heavy class quite a bit, I don't really like that they place almost all their emphasis on being anti-vehicle (of course in practice they are actually really good against infantry. If used right) It's too speacialized in my opinion. Everyone should have a role in damaging vehicles, heavy troops should just be the most suited for it. Not all maps have vehicles after all and even if they do I think the heavy class should have more to offer the team then just vehicle support. (not that this isn't important)

Maybe they could use some sort of heavy support weapon, somthing powerful but inaccurate and clumsy so while it is capable of dealing massive damage, it's primary purpose is to support the assault troops. Heres how I would see them set up:

Rebel Vanguard: The rebel Hvy class, this soldier is actually quick when compared to other HVY units, but lacks the boost in health most of these soldiers benefit from. Like most heavy units he loses stamina quickly, but he regains it slightly quicker then the Heavy Trooper. His Equipment Includes:

Rebel Rocket Launcher: An outdated tool, this weapon has a low rate of fire and takes a long time to reload, it also has the longest lock on time of any of the launchers. However the rebels have modified it's ordanences to increase their damaging capabilites. It boasts the ability to launch two Anti-Armor rockets at once. These missles are light compared to other rockets, but when combined deal the most damage of any launcher. They split when fired though, so unless you lock on chances are you won't hit your target. This weapon only appears on maps with significant enemy vehicles.

The Rebels also carry an additional concussion missle ordence. These rockets fire one at a time and are quite accurate (for rockets at least). They deal decent damage to vehicles but also sport a great blast radius. Not the most deadly, it's blast throws and damages infantry caught in the radius, making it a good support tool.

Rebel Heavy blast cannon: A slow firing heavy damaging rebel weapon, this heavy blaster is devastating against infantry and is capable of taking down a vehicle weakened by rockets. However it must be charged to unleash it's full potential.

Pistol: Basic reliable rebel side arm, fast but inaccurate.

Thermal Dets (3): Same as rebel soldiers. It should be noted that these devices take longer to throw when the vanguard has a heavy, two handed weapon equipped.

Anti-Vehicle 'nades (2): Replace mines, which engineer would get instead of medpacks.

Empire: Heavy Weapons trooper: This stormtrooper is speacially trained in the use of heavy weapons, his heavy load makes him slower then the standard trooper and he uses up stamina faster but due to his training he regains stamina quicker then other HVY's and has higher health. Equipment includes:

Imperial Rocket Launcher: The imperial state of the art anti armor weapons system sports the best rate-of-fire and lock on time of any launcher. It is also capable of carrying three imperial missles at one time without needing to reload. The missles are quick and fairly accurate and deal great explosive damage when they hit. Their only downfall is the reload time which is long, even for a launcher. This weapon is only present on maps where the enemy has significant vehicles.

They also have additonal "seeker" missle types. These missles are faster and lock on faster then normal missles, but deal less damage. They are perfect for shooting down fast moving starfighters or speeders.

Imperial heavy repeating blaster: This heavy blaster rifle fires slightly slower then the standard storm troopers rifle, but it's blasts are far more deadly, very capable of mowing down rebels without a thought. It is also capable of damaging lightly armored vehicles. Unfortunetly it has a high kickback effect and is quite inaccurate, meaning that while it will make rebels run for cover it might not kill as many as you like while doing so. It also has the ability to deploy a tripod base (E-web style) this makes it a much deadlier weapon but takes valuable time to erect and makes you a tempting target for snipers.

This weapon also has a secondary "mortar launcher" mode allowing it to fire thermal detonators a great distance.

Imperial pistol: Same as stormtroops.

Imperial detonator (6): Same as stormtroops, while a heavy 2 handed weapon is equipped these take longer to throw, but can be used as ammunition in the mortar launcher.

Heavy Clone trooper: Like most heavy troopers this clone is slower and uses up stamina faster then other units but of all the heavy units this one has the most health. He carries:

Rebublic Launcher: This anti-vehcile device holds two rockets at once and fires the rocket faster then the droid or rebel models but it's biggest advantage is it's lock on mode which is the fastest of all the launchers. It's rockets are slow but have a larger splash radius then other rockets. This weapon only appears where enemy vehicles are significant.

The Heavy clone also carries a good number of EMP missles, basicly a rocket version of the grenade that has the same stunning effect on vehicles and droids.

Rapid fire blaster cannon: This weapon, similer to the clone commanders chaingun, performs almost the same, it fires very rapidly covering a wide area of fire. It is a very unweildy weapon to use and is most effective when standing still or crouching. It's rapid shots are also effective at finishing off a weakened tank.

Thermal detonators (2): Same as before. Remember heavy weapons make grenades harder to throw as they get in the way of reaching them.

EMP grenades (2): Same.

Demolitions Droid: This cheap anti vehiclular CIS battle droid is the weakest health wise of all the HVY troops. However as it is a droid it's stamina is much higher and recovers quicker then other HVY's however it's speed is still low compared to the SBD as is it's sprint.

CIS Anti-vehiclular device: This cheap mass produced tool holds only one rocket at a time, and it's rate of fire is mediocre. The advanced targeting technology in the droid however inable it to lock on to targets much too distant for other HVY's. The rocket is hailfire-esq, spiraling and innaccurate but increadibly damaging. Even when locked on it's not always given that you'll hit, but when you do it will be worth it. Not available where enemy vehicle's are in insufficiant numbers.

It also carries several unique "buzz" missles. Instead of exploding on impact these missles release five buzz droid NPC's who immediatly attach to the nearest vehicle and start damaging it, think like the reverse of a fusion cutter. They are easily destroyed but might be able too finish off a weakened vehicle.

Medium laser beam launcher: This weapon is reminiscant of the spider droids main cannon, as it fires a constant beam of energy. Effective against vehicles and infantry alike, this is a slow weapon whose kick makes it hard to control the beam, crouching is an effective way to negate this effect.

Pistol: Cheap and mass produced like most CIS equipment, the pistol is durable and capable of firing off many high damage shots before overheating. It's accuracy leaves somthing to be desired however.

Thermal Detonator (2): All CIS battledroids are equiped with several of these explosives. They are pretty much your generic detonator, same to those used by the republic.

Thats my basic idea, some stuff might be overpowering or a bit unrealistic but it's just a basic outline.

What the hell is the Katana fleet?

The katana fleet is a fleet of ships which was created before the clone wars it consisted of 200 redecorated dreadnaughts The crew was infected with a virus that made them go nuts so they slaved the ships together which then jumped to hyperspace and was lost for 50 years till grand admiral thrawn found them and escaped with 180 dreadnaughts. for more info go here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana_fleet

Oh yes, Thrawn's pretties. :p Don't see much of a use for 'em though.

Paranoid, love the idea on Heavy Troopers, but as I said somewhere, they really need to keep the splash damage "sensible". Like Anti-tank weapons should not have a massive splash, otherwise you're just going to spam rockets with a heavy trooper. I don't mind concussive (where you blow them across a room but they're not that hurt) though. It's probably what you mean anyways.

I'm just repeating emphasis on units doing what is their job best really, I don't mind that a heavy trooper is poorer in combat, as that isn't their job to kill lots of infantry quickly, as for tanks...well, if the anti personal weapons had splash and the anti-weapons didn't have so much...someone might actually use the CIS vehicles on classic Geonosis!

Y'know I'm a fan of having some vehicles actually having some AA function as well, to blend in with aircraft on ground levels. I'd love to be able to shoot a LAAT down with a Hailfire droid, although I know Star Wars hasn't got much scope for this, I'd borrow liberally from Empire at War for that sort of thing.

Archived