Home

Is KOTOR II Worth Getting?

Blackadar

I know I'm asking a biased audience, but I thought I'd try anyway.

I loved KOTOR I. It's not my all-time favorite RPG, but it's in the top 10.

When they announced that KOTOR II was being made by the same group of folks that did Planescape:Torment (my all-time favorite RPG), I was overjoyed. When the news came out that it was being rushed out the door, I held off buying it. I've read that the ending is incomplete, the game is buggy, etc. So I held off because there was talk of someone "fixing" the endgame with a mod. I never saw news of such a mod and buying KOTOR II slowly slipped from my mind with my WOW addiction.

Now I'm dying for a good RPG. The last good one I played was KOTOR. Jade Empire was unsatisfying, Beyond Divinity was horrid, etc.

So, when it comes right down to it, is KOTOR II worth playing? Was the endgame ever really fixed?

Despite what you may hear, TSL is not a "total lost cause" for a game. Sure there's quirks, and amongst some us die-hard fans, we were left with questions... but yes, I still believe in my honest opinion that this game (TSL) is still very much worth buying...

Yeah, I've complained some, but in all my complaining.. it hasn't stopped me doing over 7+ complete playthroughs and still modding the game ;) Not too shabby for an "incomplete" game .. hehehe

As for the ending and loose-ends.. there is a Restoration Project, that as far as I can recall is still being worked on.. by "still" I mean it hasn't been adandoned :)

Welcome to the Forums! :waive1:

As someone who did not experience many of the bugs that were found by others (not saying they didn't exist, only that I was lucky enough to avoid most of them somehow), I have to say that it is absolutely worth playing.

Yes the ending is piecemeal, but I would not categorize it as incomplete as many others have. The devs seemed very commited to giving you enough information so that you could draw your own conclusions and then cutting you off so that you could do so. The end of the game is consistent with this. In fact, I'll stick my neck out and hypothesize that if it weren't for the ability to dig around in the game files, then no one would have ever been the wiser and the whole arguement that the game was "incomplete" would never have seen the light of day. Let the flaming begin :D

Regardless, the game does have it's share of bugs. Many of these can be fixed via the official game patch and/or the unofficial "mod/patch" files created by the mod community. The story is just as good (if not better, IMHO) as the first game and many of the gameplay components are far superior (again, IMHO). Please don't misconstrue my arguments as "kotor bashing"; I love that game and played it to completion more than 50 times before I finally had enough :)

Finally, be wary of the propaganda surround the restoration project. It is a great project being carried out by some vary talented people....however (:D) it will not be the earth shattering, life altering experience that some people have made it out to be. It will restore much of the content that was cut by the devs (for reasons that may or may not be clear) and it will definitely give the game new life, but it will not change the game on the scale that some people imply that it will. Your best bet is to read the content on the restoration site and form your own informed opinion.

I hope that helps to answer your questions.

In fact, I'll stick my neck out and hypothesize that if it weren't for the ability to dig around in the game files, then no one would have ever been the wiser and the whole arguement that the game was "incomplete" would never have seen the light of day. Let the flaming begin :D

I disagree somewhat. While the main plot is still for the most part comprehensible, the lack of a resolution to the Goto/Remote standoff as well as the HK-50 plotline all kind of give it away.

As said above, there are some quirks to the game, minor bugs here and there. The storyline lacks depth and the dialogue can be quite repetitive.

Even in saying that the gameis still very much worth buying. It's a very good game, perhaps the best RPG I've played this year. It is a very good game.

You should definatly get it, you'd be missing out on a great game if you don't.

GG,

Assuming that I was willing to concede to that point (and you do have a very valid arguement), would we then be able to say that the whole "incomplete" argument hinges on one cutscene that that was edited by the devs (again for unknown reasons)?

DS Ending:

G0-T0 and Remote have their standoff. The Exile goes on to whoop Darth Sion and Darth Traya's butts and the planet is not destroyed. Is it conceiveable that the Exile never gave the signal? That Remote never initiated the sequence for the Mass Shadow Generator, and maybe even got pwned by G0-T0?

Would this amount of hypothesis be consistent with other aspects of the game that ever never spelled out neatly for the players?

LS Ending:

G0-T0 and Remote have their standoff. The Exile goes on to whoop Darth Sion and Darth Traya's butts. Is it conceiveable that the Exile then gave the signal and that Remote overpowered/outmaneuvered G0-T0 (via the "good guy always wins" stuff you see in the movies) and went on to initiate the sequence for the Mass Shadow Generator?

Again, would this amount of hypothesis be consistent with other aspects of the game that ever never spelled out neatly for the players?

How would any of us know that there was originally more content involving HK-47 and his "offspring" if not for digging around in the game files? If we couldn't, then why would this seem like an "incomplete ending" when it's consistent with all the other conjecture that the devs wrote into the rest of the game? If we could, there where else is showdown foreshadowed in the game?

Am I missing the point?

As said above, there are some quirks to the game, minor bugs here and there. The storyline lacks depth and the dialogue can be quite repetitive.

True, to a degree. The quirks and bugs are undeniable, and the dialogue does run out, but I'd say that KotOR II had more depth to it than KotOR I. Much more nuance overall, you know? There was a whole lot behind each character, and the only failing was the inability to fully understand it within the duration of a playthrough.

Achilles, you are correct in that you can speculate on what happens as far as things such as Goto and the HK-50s (although HK-47 himself indicates he intends to hunt down the other models and seems to take an initial step in doing so), but the lack of an explanation in these aspects definitely did stick out to me on my first play through and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes you're right if we didn't know about all of the cut content then I don't think we'd be seeing the game is incomplete statements, but I do definitely feel people would be saying the game was rushed.

Absolutely. It gets a lot of bad press for some reason, but even with the plot holes and glitches it's an amazing game. Just as good as the first. I highly recommend that you try it out, as well as punch anyone who tells you otherwise (just say it's from me).

Welcome to LucasForums, BTW!

How would any of us know that there was originally more content involving HK-47 and his "offspring" if not for digging around in the game files? If we couldn't, then why would this seem like an "incomplete ending" when it's consistent with all the other conjecture that the devs wrote into the rest of the game? If we could, there where else is showdown foreshadowed in the game?

I would've.

I was chatting to HK-47 after I rebuilt him. He said something twilek, and I said "You could say that again' he asked how I knew other languages. I said something about the sonic imprint thing from Peragus acts as a translator. He said that since it is based off a HK vocabulator, the HK-50s can use it to track you. He said something about it letting you know where the Hk-50s are being made, so that when the opportunity arises you can find and destroy them and the factory:eek:

Don't say that I was messing around with my game, I use an Xbox. But then again I have been seeing a lot of bugs on this file, maybe this wasn't supposed to happen.

I agree with Chains. It all depends on if you want to continue the story or not. Personally I liked it. If you get it, I recommend getting it for PC so you can have a better experience with the mods, that these fantastic people offer, or cheats. Just to make it more fun, and to enhance your experience playing the game.

Knowing what I know now, having played the game, I'd still buy it again. No game is ever perfect. This one has its quirks just like every other game and there are some things I'd have liked to see different. I like the influence system and the new features; there are some really cool new things. The characters are equally interesting (if not more so). Kotor 1 and 2 seem to follow the Star Wars series in that the first episode is very 'good vs. evil'. TSL takes on a somewhat darker tone, just as Empire Strikes Back had a darker feel to it than Star Wars. The bugs were not overly distracting. I felt the ending could have been handled in a more satisfactory manner, but apparently it hasn't bothered me too much since I've gone back and played the game a few more times. :) Overall, if you enjoyed Kotor a lot, you'll enjoy TSL, too.

http://www.team-gizka.org/downloads.html (everything listed under Gameplay Fixes)

http://www.freewebs.com/achilles01/miscellaneous.htm (I recommend Unofficial Dialog Patch v.1.0, Game Balance Mod, & Twi'lek Female Texture Fixes for TSL)

These are actual fixes and/or unobtrusive changes to game play, therefore I feel comfortable recommending them. I would hold off anything fancier (like the USM) until you've had an opportunity to playthrough the game (quasi)normally :)

Just my 2 cents.

If you've played KoTOR 1, you'll want to tone down your expectations for this one. Whereas you got a feeling of "Epic" from the original, this one felt like a cheaper imitation albeit with some modifications. It's still a decent game in its own rights but I think it pales in comparison to the original when you take a look at the whole package.

Well...I had been enjoying it quite a bit. Until I got to Nar Shaddaa.

(spoilers ahead)

I did every available quest, including killing both the Exchange and Serroco thugs. I found the guys a pilot. Raided the Hut's vault by drugging the dogs. Got the missing child back. Docked the ships. Saw the scientist get killed. Paid 2000 gold for some publicity. Won the race. Disabled the robot. Became a Pizzak Champion. Got the airspeeder working. Helped the plague victim. So on and so forth. But I still couldn't ever get the next "Red Eclipse event" to trigger, nor Mira to ever talk to me (she was waiting in the corner near my ship). I've even read online walkthroughs to see if there's something I missed. There's not.

In other words, the game totally broke. I can't go forward and I can't go back. So my only option is to reload from a saved position from Onderon and try again. Which totally sucks.

Is this a common problem? Is there a fix?

Archived