Home

World of 1944 - Europe under fire

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"101st, regroup by the church!" Barnett shouted and grabbed a grenade from his belt, tossing it throught a window. The scream of a german soldier was heard in the mix of the explosion. The staff sergeant ran in cover to the statue. "Don't stay for tea, Brit. You got shooting to do" he noted before continuing his way to the other side of the town center, shooting Nazis as they came. He signalled for his squad that the course was clear before he ducked next to the huge wooden door of the church. "Dog squad, check the church for snipers" he said when the dog squad came. "Tango and Bravo, defend the right flank. Masters, go tell the rangers to get the left flank. The rest of us will get the center" he said and the door of the church was opened and the squads scattered about into places. massive firefights started on both the left and the right as the germans noticed that their 'go around to their sides' tactic didn't work after all. Barnett looked around carefully before he signalled for the rest of the squads to their places and start the last slow advancement against the germans that would hopefully drive them from the city

Corporal Taylor followed behind them, firing at the Germans with his M1 Garand. A loud clang noise sounded off, signaling his chamber was empty. His only complaint with the Garand: 8 shots sometimes just wasn't quite enough. He loaded in another set of rounds and continued firing. He took down the more distant Germans with shots to the head, letting his squadmates take care of the others.

Jackson ran inside the church, he went up the stairs and heard some germans in the room, he entered the room and shot the two soldiers then moved to check the other room and it was empty.

- "Second floor is clear!" - Jackson shouted.

Another clang, another clip. Taylor finished taking down another German and moved on to find a staircase leading to upper levels. He got in a good position and pulled out his Springfield. He sniped any remaining Germans that were firing in his direction, then positioned himself at a window, sniping any more Axis soldiers that were running towards the church to reinforce their position.

ATP went to the other side of the church, He looked aroudn the corner. 2 germans, using a grave and tombstones for cover.

"Heh, nice." He whispered to himself. ATP rolled out took aim and pegged them both in the head with his pistol. "All clear over here...now."

Jackson ran to the third floor he leaned against the wall and peeked inside the room. It was a big room, it had two snipers ready on each window. He knew he had to be quick so he took out two handguns and entered the room. He fired to the sniper on the left first and killed him with two shots, the other managed to shot him but missed his left shoulder by an inch, he took the opportunity and shot the sniper twice in the head.

- "Close call again...Third floor clear!" - Jackson said as he went down the stairs back to Barnett.

"Big church," Jack Peters observed, entering and taking his camera in one hand, his pistol in the other. He snapped a few shots of the dead Germans before he remembered the two other rolls of dead Germans he had packed away somewhere.

"Always dead when I come to them," he murmured. He went out on a small balcony and took a picture toward where he knew there were live Germans. Then, he backed away into the room again and looked around. He went up the stairs to the third floor, passing Jackson on the way.

"Dead up there, too?" he asked rhetorically as they passed. He got to the third floor and found the ladder to the belltower. Cautiously, he climbed it. Another German, but this one was alive and looked ready to shoot. Jack made a little noise and the German spun to find both a camera and a pistol pointed at him.

"Say cheese," Jack murmured. Hearing a click and mistaking it for Jack's pistol being empty, the German tried to bring his gun around. Jack fired his pistol, hitting the German's gun arm. The German cried out in pain and lurched backward, falling out of the belltower and down to the ground with a sickening crunch. Dead.

"Almost had a live one for you, Sarge," Jack called down before heading down the ladder again.

"Will you stop fooling around and get back down here? We gotta drive the last germans out of the town!" Thomas shouted by the second floor staircase before he walked to the window and shot towards the hiding germans out there somwhere. He looked around and saw the rest of the 101st heading out with the reinforcements. "Dog squad! If there's civilians with the germans, try to shoot as accurately as you can. We can't kill any French civilians!" he shouted and the leader of the Dog squad showed thumbs up as an OK before moving in and sending soldiers to run over to the other squads to explain the same that the Staff Sergeant told him.

Barnett waited for the others next to the altar, looking at the huge Jesus on the cross that had been hung on the wall. He shook his head and walked to the first benches, placing his Tommy gun on the first bench row and took his combat vest off. As soon as the squad arrived down there, he looked out of the window

"We won't do no fighting today. We'll start some recon around town to see if there are any civilians around and if there's any German plans that the allied HQ should know of. Jones, go get the radio from the camp and bring it here. We'll make this church our HQ for now" he explained and sighed, taking his Thompson back into his hand

"Last I checked, taking prisoners isn't 'fooling around'," Jack muttered to himself, coming down the stairs, camera and pistol still in hand. "Almost had him, too. Then he had to go and kill himself..." he shook his head in annoyance, realizing that people still didn't want him here.

"But here I am," he told himself. "And here's where I have to stay for now."

He finally made it down to the main floor and found the others. There, he put his camera and pistol away, but kept holding onto the rifle Sargeant Barnett had thrown at him.

Taylor nodded upon hearing Barnett, and started heading up the stairs to the bell tower of the church. "I'm going to take a position on the bell tower. It's a good sniping location, and I'll be able to have a good view of the area. If I spot anything I'll let you know, Sergeant," he said, and started to work his way up the stairs, then stopped and came back down. "Is anyone here by any chance carrying a spare Garand clips or Springfield ammo?" he asked. "I wasn't given the opportunity to resupply before we moved out to here, so I've been close to running dry since we arrived," he added.

"All extra ammo is back in the camp. I'll see what I can do, but it won't be much before we get all supplies from our camp to the town" he replied and looked at him. "I'll send someone up there. Remember the password, Fire-Ball" he noted before he nodded for him to go do what he does best.

"Jackson and Pirez, check the town for any civilians or germans. If the germans surrender, bring them here, otherwise kill them and bring them outside the building you found them in. If you find any documents, bring them here. And if you see any other squads coming back, send their highest officers here. Icluding the rangers and the infantry boys" he said and dismissed them before turning to the rest of the squad.

"Keep this church safe, boys. Peters, come with me. You can leave the combat vest and the rifle here. Johnson, you're in charge while I'm away. Get two men collecting weapons and ammo from the dead Germans" he said before grabbing his Tommy and placing it hanging from it's strap onto his back. "Peters, get your camera. We don't want to let those flames die on the tank before we get a good picture of it, now do we?" he called out, walking towards the door with a swift pace

Jackson heard Barnett's orders.

- "Yes Sarge!" - Jackson said and went outside the church by the back door.

Jackson took cover behind a blown up tank. He used a piece of mirror on the ground to check behind the corner. He saw three Germans behind a trench with a fixed gun emplacement ready to ambush allied units that came their way. Jackson took out a grenade and threw it over to the germans. There were a couple of screams in dutch and then a big boom. The blast was bigger than what he thought. When he moved to check the trench he found there were several fuel canisters on the ground but no vehicles around.

- "What the hell?" - Jackson said and found a couple of guys from the medical unit of the germans.

- "Don't move!" - JAckson shouted at them, but the medics had no guns.

- "You speak english?" - Jackson asked, one of the medics nodded.

- "Where were these soldiers going with all the fuel?" - Jackson asked pointing the machine gun at the medics.

- "They were going in there to burn everything" - a medic answered.

Jackson told them to get up and open the doors in the building to see what was inside. There were at least six children, four old men, and eight women all alive, the room had the smell of fuel.

- "Jesuschrist" - Jackson said and ordered the medics to get the people and follow him back to the church.

When they arrived Jackson reported back to Barnett.

- "Sir! I got civilians, and two German medics, they were going to set them on fire sir" - Jackson said.

((Barnett would be gone by the time Jackson would be back. I'll let Johnson respond))

"Barnett's not around. I'm in charge until he gets back. Hanson, Flair, get the germans into the third room from the right in the second floor and guard the door. Don't leave your post before the Staff Sergeant tells you to" he said and pointed at the right staircase. "Jackson and Piz, go back out there and this tie not onto enemy territory. Barnett said no figting on our part today. Let the other squads secure the whole town before you go behind this church"

"You never know what they'll invent next" he said and led him towards the panzer they blew up earlier. "So, newsboy, what's waiting you back in the US? A special someone?" he asked and looked over at him as he stepped over a piece of a wall that had probably fallen because of a grenade or something. The building looked like it could collapse on it's own if it would be let to do so

Jack shook his head and lifted his camera to his eye. "No, not really," he answered. "I've never been an incredibly social guy. I don't know a lot of people and though my name's getting better known along the east coast, I wouldn't say there are a lot of people who really know me."

He snapped a couple of pictures and moved to catch a different angle. "I mean, most places I go, I'm quiet. Hell, that's what got me my nickname here." He shrugged. "I don't know... I just..." He frowned and crouched, taking another picture of the panzer, swearing under his breath. Then, he stood and looked over at Barnett.

"I'm not..." he began. "Well, I guess the only words I'm any good with are words on a page. I've never been that good with conversating, if you know what I mean." He looked at a building that looked about to collapse and took a picture of it.

((Curt, Barnett's talking to Peters... >.> ))

"It's understandable. I've read about studies that sya those that like to read and write are much less of public speakers or speakers anywho" he said and chuckled to himself. There he was, speaking like a professor. "Do you know how high the bet is on my profession?" he asked and walked over to the panzer, grabbing the Luger next to a german soldier, aiming it and then throwing it back down. It was so uncomfortable to be held. He didnät see how the nazis could use those things

He laughed and sat down on the piece of the wall, setting the Tommy gun next to himself. "I'll give you a route to easy money, Peters, because I like your character..." he said and grinned, looking over at Peters. "I'm a history professor with a fiancee and a golden brown spaniel waiting in LA" the Staff Sergeant said and looked at the ground with a smile of remembering who would be waiting when he got leave. He looked over at Jack again and smiled. "Place all you have on history professor and I'll promise you the money of the whole squad" he said with a grin

"Love to see the looks on all their faces, wouldn't you, sir?" Jack said with a grin. He nodded. "I'll do it." He glanced over at the panzer and said, "And if we could drink right now I'd drink to the hope that you'll be going back to teaching and loving your girl and your dog."

He sighed. "War takes us away from those we love, from those that love us." He looked back at Barnett. "But it does that so we can go back and have a little peace."

He stood and grinned. "Now if we can get back to the others, I'm interested in making some easy money."

Archived