Home

World of 1944 - Europe under fire

He grinned and stood up, taking the Thompson back onto his back. "Allright. I'll reveal my little secret tomorrow morning" he said and walked back to the church.

"Johnson, how's the situation?" he asked as soon as they got to the church, noticing the french sitting, or lying like the children, on the church benches. He looked at them before walking to Johnson. "Jackson found them. The germans were about to burn them alive. Jackson also took some german medics as prisoners. They're upstairs and the door's guarded" Johnson said and looked at the civilians. "Get someone to ask of their backround and where they lived and such. Has the radio arrived yet?" Staff Sergeant asked and Johnson just looked at the door where Jones came rushing inside with the radio on his back. Jones brought the radio over to the table they had brought from the backroom and to the front. "Johnson, Jones, get the dog and bravo squads to help you with our camp. Take the rangers' trucks" he ordered and the tow, after passing the order to a a quadmate that spoke french, and hurried to find the squads.

Barnett took the radio and started to work on a signal to HQ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Taylor sat in the bell tower, his Springfield loaded and held in front of him. He scanned the town slowly, his eyes narrowed slightly. He slowly brought up his scope and scanned around. His eyes came across something and he leaned his head down and called down to Jackson & Pirez, "Hey Jackson, Pirez! I found somethin' for you to check out. Seems to be some German activity on our side of the town, should check it out. I could've swore I spotted a Nazi officer, they may have some documents that we want. They're about two blocks in the 10 o' clock direction from the front door of the church, you'll see a two story house with a chunk taken out of the roof on the right side. They're in the second story house, left room, check it out if you want." He brought his scope back up and continued scanning the town, waiting to hear a response. If they agreed to check it out, he'd turn his scope to the house to assist with sniper fire.

Pirez rolled out onto one knee and got the fleeing German in the leg. He fell down and hiS gun flew from his hands. Pirez ran upt to him and turned him over, pointing his pistol at his face. He was yelling something in German.

"Can we get a translator here! Jackson clear out the rest of the building while I wait for someone to come get this guy."

Jackson went inside. There were two rooms cleared but the third one had a couple of Germans that Jackson killed quickly and moved to climb the stairs. He arrived at a great hall with holes on the walls for all the gun fire. Two snipers ready so he shot the first one but he got pinned down by the other. He only shouted to Taylor.

- "Taylor! Can you get the sniper?" - Jackson said.

The fighting in the town slowly ended as the rest of the 101st, Rangers and the infantry boys drove the germans out. Dog and Bravo were left to secure the edge of the town with the infantry and the town was slowly starting to calm down. The translator of the rangers heard the call and grabbed one of his mates that was a medic with him to check it out. The two came into the building and saw Pirez holidng a pistol at a german's face. The medic walked over and looked at the german's wound. The translator walked up and smirked. "He says he surrenders. We can take him back to the church"

Barnett looked over at Johnson and stood up from the radio. "The allies are going for Orléans. We'll need to hold this town as a supply depot until we've got Orléans" The Staff Sergeant said and walked to the translator of their squad. "Get the civilians into their homes and list 'em up" he ordered and walked to the door and looked as the rangers' trucks came carefully throught the town and stopped next to the church and the soldiers that were sent to get the supplies from the camp started to carry the stuff inside. He grabbed a bag of clips and ammo for the standard US rifles(M1 Garand and Springfield) and tossed them over to Peters. "Take those up to Taylor and take a couple of photos while you're up there if you like" he said and went out to help the guys carry the stuff inside while the translator went around town with the civilians to list their homes

Jack caught the bag and moved up the stairs to do as ordered. He found Taylor and handed over the bag.

"Sarge said to give this to you," he said. Then, he pulled out his camera and snapped a few shots out the window. Satisfied with these, he pulled back into the room and snapped a picture of Taylor in position, rifle at the ready, sights on any Germans he could find.

"You make a nice picture," he remarked in amusement as he snapped a shot. Then, he headed back for the stairs.

Taylor responded before Jackson finished asking. The German soldier fell with a bullet through the side of his head. Taylor smirked after hearing Peter's comment after he took his shot. "Thanks," he responded, taking the bags and setting it next to him. "And I mean for both the ammo and the compliment," he said with a grin. He kept his eyes on the house, his gaze never waivering, trying to make sure Jackson was clear.

Barnett walked over to the church door and evaded a soldier carrying a large crate of ammo inside and another with a mountable MG. "Take the MG onto the second floor and set it up next to a window" he said and the soldier nodded. Barnett walked outside and took a cigarette out, lighting it. It was hard to be a Staff Sergeant. "Peters, where the hell are you? Shouldn't you be taking pictures and notes of these soldiers around?" he shouted from the door, his voice echoing inside the church. He then turned away, only to see Pirez. "Pirez, wipe that bloody smirk from your face. We're not clear yet. We have to hold this town until the allied take Orléans and we need to collect all dog tags so we can inform HQ of the body count before we bury them" he said and the cigarette moved up and down as he spoke. Barnett leaned onto the stone wall and sighed, a cloud of smoke coming out as he did so

Taylor sighed and leaned back. He was sure the remaining German officer in there wouldn't give Jackson any trouble. He turned to look over at Peters, "So, you enjoying your stay in the 101st, Peter? You're awfully quiet for a journalist." he asked and commented. He started reloading his Springfield, making sure he had a full set of rounds in there, then looked over at him. "I assume that, like us, you volunteered to come along? You don't seem like the type of guy who would get his sorry rear sent out over here on a draft card and complain the whole time about being here. You seem like you want to actually know what's going on over here, lend a hand where you can, and see the war for what it really is. My only question is what would drive you to do that? Surely you've got someone back at home who's scared out of their pants that you're over here?" he asked. He sat down for the moment and put his springfield on the ground next to him. "I never properly introduced myself, I assume that's because I've been a bit closer to my rifle than to my squad as of late, but, even though you probably know it by now, 'name's Chris Taylor," he said, holding out his hand.

Jack shook Taylor's hand. "Nice to meet you," he said. "And please, call me Jack. As for me, I am here to find out what war's really all about. I am willing to help out where I can. Why?" He smiled. "In previous wars, journalists sat on the sidelines, asked as many questions as they could think of, and usually got it wrong. Growing up, I heard veterans and descendants of veterans complaining how the press was always getting things wrong."

He shook his head. "I figure the reason they got it wrong was because they didn't participate. Then, they made assumptions based on their questions... false assumptions. Why am I here? Because I don't want to make the same assumptions. I want to see war like it is... to be able to write it like it is." He shrugged. "Y'know, tell people back in the States what war really is." He held up his camera. "To show them."

He leaned against the nearest wall. "That's why I'm here."

Taylor shrugged and replied, "No real reason, Jack, just wondering. I just figured you look like the kinda guy that'd have someone waiting on them back in the States..." he trailed off and sighed.

"That's probably the only thing I'm worried about...getting back home to my girlfriend back in the States.. I haven't written to her since arriving in Normandy...if I'm lucky she thinks I'm still alive. She told me she'd wait on me, but I don't think she expected the war to go on for so long. I'd write to her, but I don't know how safe it is to send a letter back home from here. I wrote a letter awhile back...I just haven't been able to figure a way to get it back to her. I don't think there's a postal service active nearby, and I haven't seen any people working military post for months...I planned a lil' surprise to give her when I got back, but that's providing I -do- get back...as for my parents..they both supported me going to serve, but they really didn't like that I was airborne. They'd rather have someone else other than me jumpin' out of a plane, but they've been happier since I've been on solid ground lately," he said, obviously more to talk about, but it was obvious he considered it conversation for a more convenient time.

Jack chuckled. He too was glad to have a conversation... "My parents freaked out when they heard I was leaving the solid career of local writer for a big newspaper to chase plane-jumpers... that's what they call you guys, by the way." He shook his head. "But I'm sure we'll get back to them... just because we have to."

Just because we have to, he thought to himself. He nodded slowly. Just because we have to.

The rangers marched back to the church, singing a loud tune. The 101st nearby turned to see them and scowled at their loud singing. A group of german officers and soldiers marched inside the rangers with their hands tied tightly with an old rope they had found. The last three rows of the rangers were carrying boxes full of papers and plans and other stuff that might be of some use. Barnett turned to look at them when the rangers stopped next to the church doors. "5th Rangers, reporting in" Krustofski said and Barnett nodded. "The germans onto the second floor rooms. Leave guards at all doors. The other stuff to the back room" The Staff Sergeant said and the rangers went inside, about 20 staying behind with their commander. "We could really use your help checking these houses. When the allied troops pass throught, we need to have somekind of a shelter and beds above their heads. If there's people inside, check them for weapons and leave them be" he said and the rangers left, Krustofski staying behind. "The men are tired, Barnett. We should let them rest for tonight"

"After we get this town ready and fortified. Go inside and start checking the maps and reports you got form the germans. I'll join you in a minute"

Krustofski walked inside and started to check the german reports with a translator. Barnett walked inside after throwing his cigarette onto the ground, but instead of staying down with the others, he walked up to Peters and Taylor and sat next to them. "Taylor, do you know how much is the pot nowadays? Peters exaggerated it"

Archived