Home

World of 1944 - Europe under fire

"He's referring to the guessing about his job in the States," Jack answered. "Besides, what fun is there in betting that we won't make it? If you win, you're not around to collect and spend what you won."

He chuckled. "No, I'm finally going to get in on the betting here... about Barnett's career, I mean. I've spent some time around the guy and I think I've got a pretty good guess."

He turned to Thomas. "So how about this evening, we all gather around and have another guess at you?"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taylor chuckled, "So we're betting on what his job is in the States? I dunno...I don't have a lot of cash with me, as I've been sending a majority of my pay home to my girlfriend and my parents, at least before I was unable to start sending mail back since we got knee deep behind German lines in Normandy," he said with a slight smile. He was fairly young, and seemed to be reluctant to bet money, despite the fact he knew it wouldn't have to be a substantial amount, and it was mostly for fun, not for anything serious. He reached back into his wallet and looked inside, put it back, then said, "I'll bet a small amount later, I think I might have an idea," he said, smiling at Barnett and Peters.

"Taylor, you've been spending way too much time behind your scope. Take a break and leave the sniping to the others in the 101st" Barnett said and smiled. He then nodded to Peters. "Tonight or tomorrow morning" he noted to Jack and leaned back. This war was making his nerves go wild. He hoped he could teach after all this and stay calm around all those noisy teens

Taylor smiled, "Sorry sergeant, it's where I live. You have no idea what a warm, fuzzy feeling it is to look through a scope at a soldier, and know he hasn't the slightest clue where you are. It's a nice, secure feeling," he said with a grin. He was obviously jesting at his obsession with sniping, but he was also hinting he took his position seriously.

Taylor grinned over at Pirez and laughed. "Well Pirez, if you want to feel comfortable about it," he said, then continued, throwing an "Old English" twist on his words, "Thus you should think of me as thy guardian angel who snipes thy enemies between thee's eyes with my Divine Bullet launched from my Holy Springfield, thus eliminating thy enemies from thy path," he finished with a grin. He was beginning to relax, and was just having fun goofing around. He pulled his wallet back out and pulled a picture out, holding it out to the three, offering it to them to look at. On the picture was a beautiful burnette. "That's my girl back in the States," he said proudly. "I only hope she hasn't thought that, since I haven't sent her a letter since we landed in Normandy, that I died. I mentioned to her in one of my previous letters to stay in contact with my parents, that way she'd get confirmation from them if I showed up back in the States with the Defense Department in a bodybag," he said, not seeming so enthusiastic about that thought. "I'm hoping to propose to her when I make it back home. She's every reason I have to live for," he said.

Taylor smiled at the comment about his sister, "Hard to kick the crap out of you if you don't make it...unless she's gonna kick your coffin at the funeral man, which would be twisted," he said, trying to joke about it. "I have an older brother serving with me. He's a volunteer pilot. Whenever we call in the airplanes to give some air support, he's up there. He watches out for me, guess you could say a guardian angel of sorts," he said. "I worry 'bout him a ilttle. He's responsible, and knows when to back out of a bad situation, but he has his moments when he just has to prove something, so I'm hoping someone doesn't decide to tell him some mission is going to be a suicide run, or that it's impossible, because I can see him jumping into his plane to prove otherwise," he finished.

He then continued to comment about the other thing Pirez mentioned, "I guess you could say its nice. Of course, there's always the possibility she thinks I died...or she moved on, tired of waiting on me. That'll be devastating if I come home to find her with another guy, but...if it happens, I can't say I'll be surprised. For now though, my country and for her are the two things I'm fighting for. That's what I've figured is the best way to make it through here. Find a few things to fight for, a few things to live for, and that motivation'll keep you alive," he finished. "If there was some way I could get a message back to the States to her..." he trailed off.

He looked back up at Pirez, "I hope you make it back to your sister man. Sounds like a good bond you've got. My brother still watches my back, but...well let's just say we weren't on good terms with each other when we both went to our respective branches of the service. Gonna be kinda amusing, going back home, knowing both of us have the training to kick each other's rear, but at the same time having respect for what each other did in the war," he finished.

((Guys, you can't debate which one of those wold win. True, Superman had been first released in 1938, a year before the second world war, but Hulk first appeared in The Incredible Hulk #1 in 1962, about two decades after the war[/geek]))

Thomas shook his head and reach inside his pocket, taking a black and white picture with a wave edge out and looking at it. He brushed his thumb across the picture and a smile appeared on his face. He sighed slightly and placed the picture onto the floor in the middle of them. The picture showed a beautiful brunette with a small dog in her lap. "My fiancee and Bully, our dog" he said and smile as his fiancee's voice rang inside his head

((What about Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde? :D ))

"Little dogs definitely think they're bullies," Jack chuckled. He shook his head. "Isn't it funny that the reporter, the guy that takes pictures all the time doesn't have pictures to show from home?"

((Well guess we violated the space & time laws in some way. Tis a shame you can't kill us off, because then that'd cause a time paradox to whoever was born from these characters in the future :D lol))

Taylor chuckled, then said to Barnett, "She looks nice, but if you don't be careful that dog might be slidin' into your place while you're gone at the war," he said jokingly.

"She wishes. No dog can take my place... Especially in the bedroom, if you know what I mean" he said and laughted, sliding the picture back into his pocket.

A soldier came up and looked at the group for a short while before gathering himself and looking at Barnett. "Sir, we've collected all the tags and listed the civilians"

"Good... Start sandbagging some positions around the twon onto the field. Make use of the german MGs and get three men on each spot"

"Yes, sir"

Barnett sighed and looked at them. Silence fell after the soldier left and Thomas said the first thin that came into his mind. "I'm a history teacher" he blunted out quietly, looking at the three others with a smile

Taylor laughed, "Yeah, I imagine that small dog would have a bit of trouble comparing."

After the soldier

"No wonder you're so good at keepin us awake in line. You get plenty of practice with students in your classes," he said with a smile, obviously joking. He put in round into his Springfield, slamming the bolt forward and drawing it back. "It's a wonder I haven't broken this yet," he muttered.

Barnett shook his head at Taylor's handling of his Springfield. "You really need to soften your touch with that. The US army doesn't have spares for every damn sniper it has" he said and shook his head again. "Hmh... Get some rest. We need to get our watch hours and ranks straightened up tomorrow" he said and stood up, heading for the stairs. "And Peters, if you see the Rangers' medics around, tell them to get over to the hospital and aske for Captain Hagman, our division surgeon. I'll get charlie and dog squads to carry all of our wounded there" he said and headed won to the altar, where the leaders of charlie and dog squads were. The two squads quickly moved out in search of wounded and to carry those that were already in the church and who couldn't walk themselves

Taylor moved back into his previous sniping position, setting up his rifle and viewing down his scope. He was pretty sure most of the Germans were taken down now, but that's not what he was looking for. He scanned the horizons, just for the sake of seeing if he could see any movement in the outskirts of the town.

Barnett walked out of the church, grabbing his Thompson and two lieuetants with him and went for a stroll around the town. He led the two soldiers and said which buildings were to be fortified for resting places and showed them which were to be fortifed for defence posts and which were to be readied for a sniper. The staff sergeant stopped by where the german barracks had been. "Empty it. Every piece of weaponry, ammo or documents must be taken to the church for holding. After that, burn the place and make sure that every dead german goes withtheir buildings" he said and left bak towards the curch, so ending their walk around town

Archived