Home

The New, Improved One Year Thread: 2006 Edition

edlib

Damn... it's a lot of rain out there! I hope my cellar doesn't flood! I better check it before bed... (EDIT: Yes, I do have water in the basement. Damn! :mad: I suspect that I'm not alone this time, though...)

Halo is still not working right. I've uninstalled/ reinstalled and still no dice. I wonder what changed...

I guess I could try going back a version or 2 on my mouse drivers/ software... but that seems like a big deal just to get a game working that I probably won't be still playing in a week.

But it's really a bummer. When I first installed it, (and this is how it still works in the demo version...) the wheel button controlled the sniper zoom, and the side (thumb) button was the melee attack. A very convenient set of controls for me.

Now neither of them are working, and I've had to remap those controls to the keyboard... which isn't fun. It's really pissing me off.

Oh well... I really should give up on it and move on for tonight. I've got to be at work at 8 am tomorrow morning; and going to bed frustrated really won't make things any better...

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a frustrating weekend, to say the least.

This is the worst I've ever had water in the cellar. Spent most of the evening tonight wet-vaccing the floors down there... with no noticeable effect.

But, all things considered, it could be a lot, lot worse. The folks up on the North Shore have it really bad... some people with FEET of water in their houses.

Seeing that, a wet floor doesn't seem all that bad.

I just with it would stop effing raining already!!!

Picked up and moved to a new city last Monday... Finally got the internet working.

Started playing F.E.A.R. since I had no internet... Holy hell does that game get inside your head! I thought HL2 was freaky, but this is nuts. I was more sketched out in the first two levels then I was *anywhere* in HL2... Wicked game.

Sounds groovy!

I can't take any real time off from work yet... but my position at work just got re-classified by HR, the practical result of which was a substantial raise in base salary. Which is pretty sweet...

A couple of extra grand a year will come in very handy. :D

this week has been prosperous for myself....had my eval yesterday, apparantly i've been working at walmart for 1 year now, so anyway i get a small raise, prolly 20 cents or less, i dont care....probably going to sign up for medical so i can have fun w/that haha.

transmission fluid is cheap at least because i had to put a full quart in today. not fun. I'm looking for a used car that works and won't require any money put into repairs for it. -_- but then, there is a bike at walmart for less than $200 that doesn't require me to have a license or insurance, which is where the medical insurance would come in. but then the rain would fall and things would not look good.

this morning I went to the post office to drop off the check for my car insurance, then I headed down to the bank to deposit some money, then went to the lady that i go to that never makes me wait 1 hour to get my head shaved, the second i stepped out of the car it downpoured, so i went into the place a bit wet, and was greeted when i walked in, guess i'm the only guy that likes having a shaved head, because she remembered me from the last two times i went over there. main reason i go there is cause 1st, i don't have to wait 1 hour for some snob to get their hair "styled" (parenthesis cause their hair looks exactly the same when they walk out as when they walked in) and second, because she only charges $8 instead of the $12 these other places charge (and i always give $2 tip) so anyway that only took 3 minutes and i walk out and get rained on again. :D

It's been raining off and on all day here too...

I've been keeping an eye on the state of the cellar (it still hasn't dried out completely from the last rain...) but so far the rain hasn't amounted to enough to pose a problem I guess. A couple of days of bright sunshine and vigorous winds have dried out the ground pretty well, it seems.

On the plus side of all this: my lawn has never looked better.

Long day at work tomorrow: 8 am until midnight. Fun stuff. I'll be a basket case on Sunday. No wonder I can never seem to get anything done on my days off anymore.

But it's all extra money (above and beyond my salary increase...) so I really shouldn't complain too hard.

Maybe I should hire a maid service to come and clean the house with all the extra money I'm earning... :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Well, this should be a fun, fun day... seeing as how I never managed to get to sleep last night. Ouch.

Oh well... wish me luck.

Holy crap, I've been busy!

Finals are over, so now I'm back to working at the aviation museum every day giving tours and doing whatever else needs to be done. Found out I just got a 5% raise, so life is goooood:)

Rain? Haven't seen any in a month till now.

Just moved less than ten miles from my former location. Lost my 768k DSL and am now stuck with Dialup where the performance during the day is usually far less than stellar.

Might actually get some form of television tomorrow... Might... Haven't seen any news, fake or real in awhile so I have absolutely no idea whats going on...

Also of note, May 18th was my 18th Birthday.

happy late bday, commander! when are u off to boot camp?

i know what its like going from broadband to freaking aol. i've adapted....am actually able to play Star Wars Galaxies quite well on it. (dont ask me about how much waiting i had to go through dloading all the patches i missed while inactive for 6 months)....broadband is SUPPOSED to be available in my area by the end of this summer, so i'm cool with that.

i signed up w/the insurance...i enrolled for the 1000 deductable one so i dont have to pay out so much per pay period (only like $10, would've been between $20-30) cause i haven't been to the doctor in over a year. i hate going to the doctor's office. my first 3 outpatient visits have a $20 copay, umm think it's $30 for prescription but it's very rare that i'll have to go that many times anyways so it'll be some time before they collect that $1000.

Worked until midnight last night. Puerto Rican folk music. Not terrible... but at 3+ hours of it I don't care if I hear any more of it for a long while.

Don't have any real plans for (what's left of) the long weekend... maybe I'll put the air-conditioners in. Hook up the hose outside and give the car a good cleaning,.. as well as the porches and deck furniture. Maybe pull out the grill. Throw away all the rugs that got ruined in the cellar and mop the floors. Do a couple of loads of laundry before it gets piled up too high (for a change!!!) Go for a nice long walk or 2 while the weather is still nice.

First, I gotta make a couple of runs to the stores. We'll see how much energy I have left after that to get any of this other stuff done. :rolleyes:

Most likely: I'll get a whole lot of nothing done... as usual. But, would that really be sooooo bad? [/self-justification] :dozey:

Happy belated-b-day, Commandant!

How was your trip to the coast, Keyan?

It was OK. Typical Ocean City. Took a walk along the boardwalk: stopped in an arcade and played a little Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, watched some guy make Jesus sand sculptures, and paid three dollars for a lemonade. It was the weekend where they have that classic car convention, so there were a bunch of old cars cruising up and down the highway all weekend.

Oh, and a lot of idiot teenagers. I thought about killing them all and dumping their bodies in the bay, but I think there might be laws against that sort of thing.

I just got back from a week in the Outer Banks. It was too cold for the beach, really. Spent the week hanging around surf and kiteboarding shops, pretending to be a surfer and a biker. Talked to a few girls, but didn't do anything. That's not how I roll, dog. Plus, like, what was I going to do? Take them back to the house, where my parents are? **** no. And since they live on the island, it would have been back to their parent's house. But the girl at the Dairy Queen in Avon, NC has a great ass, internet, in case you're ever there. Didn't talk to her though. Like it matters or you care.

Anyhow, my harrowing and long May is now over. I haven't seen any of my friends in, like, a month because I've been out of town and all over the place. Now I need to get back to work on the ladies (ha) and find a job. I have no money and so far my twin pronged effort to win the lottery and find a bag of money in the woods has yet to yield anything.

Didn't get an eighth of what I had hoped to accomplish done today.

Got to the stores, but ultimately, that was about it.

Edlib's pet-peeve number: Nine Billion, two-hundred and fifty-three thousand, nine hundred and eight:

RUBBERNECKERS

I hate them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You're cruising down the highway, making great time. The engine is purring like a kitten... and you're going fast enough that all your senses are sharpened cuz' you're watching the idiots around you like a hawk, as well as on the lookout for Staties.

When all of a sudden,... BAM!... out of nowhere, and for no reason that you can see, EVERYBODY JUST STOPS!!!!

For the next ten or twelve miles, you putt along, never getting out of first, with traffic boxing you in on all sides, just watching the gas needle dip down as you max out the AC to keep from baking to death inside your own car.

Finally, you get to the cause of the slowdown: An accident... but on the OTHER FRIKKIN' SIDE OF THE GODDAMN HIGHWAY!!!!!!!!

And as soon as you are past it, the road opens right up as far as the eyes can see, and all that traffic you've been in for the last 40 minutes dissipates like so much smoke and vapor.

WHAT. THE. HOLY. F**K?!??!!!

There is absolutely no reason to slow down for events that are happening in the lanes going the other way, people!!! That is unless you have a burning need to see mangled wreckage.

Or is it possibly mangled humans that you are slowing down to see if you can get a look at. Trust me... there are places on the web where you can get a much better view of that kind of thing, if that's what you really want to see. Which it probably isn't... not really. So what the hell is wrong with you?!?? If I showed you a picture of a car-crash victim, you'd avert your eyes and be totally grossed out... yet you crane your necks to see if you can catch a glimpse of one in real life???

Keep driving, you schmucks! There's ABSOLUTELY nothing you can do to help by slowing down and gawking from inside your car on this side of the road. You are just making life miserable for the rest of us who just might have places they want to be and things they wish to be doing, that isn't crawling along between exits on some otherwise nondescript length of freeway.

NNNNnngggghhhhahhhhgggrrrgh!!!!! It. Makes. Me. So. Completely. Pissed. Off!!!!!!

:mad:

But other than that,.. my day was pretty good. Watched the King Kong DVD.

:dozey:

I feel for you.

If I drove in to work everyday I'm sure I'd see a lot more stuff like that, and I'd be completely frazzled everyday.

As it is I ride the subway to and from most days... which is it's own set of interesting experiences. :dozey:

Didn't really get much done today, either. The hose is hooked up and the water to it is turned on... and the porches rinsed off. Hosed some of the pollen and dirt off my car, but I didn't really wash it. A little laundry done. But it got too hot and humid today to tackle any of the big jobs I wanted to get done without being totally miserable, so I'll have to do a little bit each night after work this week. (Fortunately, I have only day shifts all week, no nighttime shows.)

But somehow, in the back of my mind, I knew that's how things would turn out this weekend.

I utilized the Beltway during my NC Adventure and I would just shoot myself in the head if I had to use that.

Of course, with a degree in Political Science and wanting to actually use it and probably trying to get some sort of job with the State Department...

heh my tooth deteriorated more. got some motrin ib at walmart to make up for the pain.

gotta get my car's transmission checked on today....hoping it doesn't cost over $300 to fix, i need to get my tooth fixed, and if i have to pay over $300, it's better to just keep driving it the way it is and save for another car in the meantime, and suffer the toothache. =\

Bummer.

My teeth are in perfect shape, but they keep telling my that my gums are receding. You can never win...

I utilized the Beltway during my NC Adventure and I would just shoot myself in the head if I had to use that.

Wasn't there a couple of guys that used to provide that service for people?

I think they just sentenced them...

i think it's my wisdom teeth pushing on the molars, which caused it to chip in the first place...or it was the bags of peanut m&ms and bottles of mountain dew, that's when i noticed it a few months ago, and the tooth chipped...think i even posted in here about it.

Archived