Those torches you carry must be drowned in champagne

Here's the last toast of the evening, here's to those who still believe

All the losers will be winners, all the givers shall receive

Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small

Here's to the losers, bless them all

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a torch I carried for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long and I regret it. I haven't spoken to her in three years, but a few weeks ago I stumbled across her myspace and sent her a message (against the advise of virtually everyone i know). She didn't say anything back. I didnt feel bad about that. I completely understand why she wouldn't want to have to deal with me again. But, man, what was I thinking.

No. Architects don't really have a "night shift." Which is why I assume this was a lie and the suggestion of "maybe some other time" was added to placate me for now and prevent me from suggesting something else. Well played indeed. But it's not over yet. Indeed, she's only started the game.

While I *am* inclined to agree that it was a lie, it could be legit... My dad was an architect, and while they don't have a night shift, they do have deadlines. He'd pull overtime at the office at least once a month, and brought his work home with him constantly... There'd be times when I'd be going to bed at like 2-3 AM, and he'd still be on his computer making last-minute changes that came in just before he was going home, even though the design was due tomorrow.

Lose not your faith, young grasshopper... There is hope yet.

Going in for dental surgery this morning. Yippee. :dozey:

I've never had a cavity... I never needed braces... but, my gums are receding. Getting some skin grafts in there to slow things down... (hopefully!)

I'm taking the rest of the week off to recuperate. I'll do some picking up around the house (later in the week, when I feel better...) and play with my computer gear.

Still, if it came down to a choice between doing this and going to work... well, I really think that I could do without the time off if I had to.

I got a couple prescriptions (that I haven't filled yet...) I probably won't bother with the pain-pills, though...

Actually, I just woke up, and most of the pain is gone. I did take 2 Advil earlier, however... we'll see if it comes back. I also haven't tried to eat yet.

My mouth tastes awful! Like blood and cough syrup.

I remember in third grade i had to have to cyst removed from under one of my molars. Full on real actual surgery. I had surgery on January 15th. I was out of it until late January 16th. I couldn't go to school, so I had the rest of the week off and a few days of the next week, just to be safe. Now, the best part of this was January 15th and January 16th of that year were of note, as the deadline for Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait was the day I had surgery and I was awake for the opening night of the war. It was pretty neat.

The pain seems to be totally gone.

Now the biggest thing bothering me is all the stuff they have packed over the spot. Makes my face feel like it's sticking way, way out on that side. It isn't really... but it does feel that way.

I got to go back and get the stitches out on 9/11.

wha? you have to have the stitches removed? don't they dissolve? (mine did..didnt know there were stitches until after the novacaine wore off then it bugged me for 2 weeks til i tongued them off and spit them out)

think i'll have to have my upper left wisdom tooth removed in the future, part of it overhands the gum for some reason..or there's a hole in it. i'll wait til the pain is constant though....i don't qualify for dental until next year...

I dunno... maybe because it's a skin graft they didn't want to use the dissolving type, so that they couldn't dissolve before the graft had fully taken. :confused:

Or maybe it's just to charge my insurance for another office visit... :dozey:

Well, I've been in the cellar playing with computer parts all day (since the antibiotics they have me on tend to make you radically photosensitive, I haven't been able to go out into the sun at all all week...) :rolleyes:

I've made some upgrades to my Linux box, and managed to cobble together a working tower system out of the rest. It even had WinXP Pro already installed on one of the drives I came across.

Although not an entirely legal version, it turns out,.. as I've been getting a lot of nasty "Genuine Advantage" notices ever since I let it auto-update this afternoon. I really don't want to have to pay for a legitimate licence key... I could install my copy of XP over it, (which is only slightly less fraudulent in the eyes of M$.) :indif:

I'll probably just learn to ignore it, since this will primarily be only a media file server anyway... Or maybe I'll have to move to Linux on this one as well... that should make the folks at Microsoft happy to hear. :dozey:

But it does have 2 hard-drives, a CD-RW, a DVD drive, my old GeForce and DVD-decoder card, and the Audigy 2Z card (that I was never able to get working on this machine) installed. If I can get past these nag messages, and get a network running between all these machines, it should suit my purposes quite nicely.

UPDATE:

Well, I've got the machines networked and file sharing, so that I have been able to listen to music stored on the downstairs machine upstairs, and vice-versa. Groovy.

The Windows nag thing is really getting on my nerves, so I think after putting the new hard-drive in this machine and installing XP again, I'll try feeding the code off that copy into the screen where it lets you update the authorization code. Yeah... I know it's sleazy... but it's either that or some other equally sleazy maneuver to get it to work on the cheap (like putting the old C: drive from this PC into that one without erasing it.)

Or moving to Linux on that machine, too... which I don't really want to do unless I have no other choice. I still don't know it well enough to be comfortable trying to make it work at that level. Plus, I foresee driver difficulties with a few of the components I have installed.

typically you sumbit your app a year before you expect to enroll. during that time i will be finishing up my biology undergrad. once i enroll in dental school, the program is 4 years, but i plan on doing another 2 for orthodontics. so, to answer your question, minimum 5 years, max 7 years.

Yowsa!

Uhh, yeah... good luck with all that! ;)

Hopefully the pay will more than make up for more than half a decade of effort.

I could use a good dentist now: One of my stitches has worked a bit loose, and a thread is now hanging down on the inside of my mouth, behind my teeth. Funny thing is, all the work was done on the FRONT of my teeth. Where the hell this thing came from, I have no frikken' idea. I think it's just the slack from the knot or something... he must have tucked it between my teeth and around to the back.

But wouldn'tchaknowit... had to happen right before a holiday. :rolleyes:

I'll have to get in touch with the dentist's office first thing Tuesday morning. For right now I used a toothpick and some dental floss to try to wedge it back between my teeth to keep it from dangling, but I already know it will never stay. First time I try to brush or rinse, or eat it's popping loose...

Plus it's driving me absolutely berserk! Feels like the absolute worst popcorn shell from Hell, (EVER!) stuck between my teeth! It's actually giving me a headache...

EDIT:

Well, I finally got fed up enough to call my doctor's emergency number... he told me it was safe to snip it. In the process of trying to get it positioned so that I could get a scissors in there to do it, the whole thing slid right out. Uh,.. Oops.

More than a little disconcerting, and it kinda aches a little where it was... but MAN!!!! what a relief!!! I was ready to scream!

If the other 2 stitches fall out like this as well, I can probably save myself that office visit on the 11th. :dozey:

typically you sumbit your app a year before you expect to enroll. during that time i will be finishing up my biology undergrad. once i enroll in dental school, the program is 4 years, but i plan on doing another 2 for orthodontics. so, to answer your question, minimum 5 years, max 7 years.

And I thought *I* was going back to school late... I start 5 years of university in two days, and by the time I come out the other end as a high school teacher, I'll be 28. Good luck, man!

I didn't start college until I was 22 (about the age most people graduate.) Finished when I was 28, too.

So,.. There's still hope for you yet! ;)

Let's face it: It's hard enough to decide anything properly when you are 17 or 18... let alone what course your career (and life) is going to take for the rest of your days.

Starting college older is better... you'll take it more seriously, too. (Especially if you are the one footing all the bills!)

EDIT:

Well, I lost another stitch today. I don't even know where or how... so it must have been while I was eating... and I must have swallowed it! Ewwwww...

Only one left. I wonder what they're going say to me the day I show up to get them out... :rolleyes:

going to range today w/my dad when he gets off of work. gonna buy another box of rounds and get some good practice...i sent in for 2 doe tags to 1 spot we're hopefully going this fall out in canton, pa (middle of nowhere)...and tonight im gonna get my archery license and a bear tag.

Archived