Home

The New, Improved One Year Thread: 2006 Edition

edlib

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd pay to see that...

Yesterday I went to the wholesale club. Not the one I normally go to (the closer one to me, with the unintentionally embarrassing name...) but the other one that's bigger, but a bit of a long haul to get to. (I needed kitty litter, and they are the only ones who carry the brand I like in huge quantities.)

That was a mistake.

It took me over a half an hour to get from the exit ramp to the store parking lot... a distance of maybe a half a mile. They just opened an IKEA store next door to it. It must have been grand-opening day or something.

It sucked.

Once I got into the store there was nobody there, and shopping was easy.

Leaving was more of the same though.

Edlib's WHEE!!! Moment Of The Year (So Far...):

After I got out of the crazy local traffic and back to the highway it was pretty clear sailing. In fact, as I got to the end of the entrance ramp to the highway, I noticed that the road was almost completely clear. There was nobody anywhere in my rear-view mirrors, and any taillights I could see were far off in the horizon. there wasn't even anyone behind me on the ramp. That's something that I have almost never seen around here, and I had to take advantage of it somehow. :D

I slowed down to a crawl, almost a dead stop, as I rolled onto the highway. Pushed my gear-lever over from "Auto" to "Tiptronic." And then buried the accelerator pedal, using the manual shift to keep the turbo in the power-band... just to see how quickly I could get to highway speeds and catch up with the distant traffic from almost a standstill.

Pretty quickly, it turns out.

:joy:

I probably burnt up at least a quarter-tank of fuel with that little stunt... but it sure felt good! Especially after sitting in insane traffic for the better part of the afternoon. Got my pulse rate up a little bit, too.

I'll probably never see that type of situation around here again. Had to take advantage of it while the getting was good.

Wholesale club and an IKEA that just opened? Sounds like you live near Avon and Stoughton, which is near me, edlib. Maybe we should meet sometime. :D

Not too near. I'm in Quincy.

Avon is a little bit of a haul, like I said. But it's the closest Costco's that I know about.

Usually I go to the BJ's in Hingham. That's a lot closer... but I like Costco's better.

1/06/06-1/18/06

Not much goin' on. Work goes. The crew seems to all have adjusted to me moving up. Nobody has given' me any problems, so that's nice. Everyone thinks I'm doing a really nice job with management. This is good.

School starts next monday. I have to pull a 4.00 or else I get dropped out. Expelled. NOT COOL. >.<

And not much else. Still seeing that girl, and it goes well....

i get today off work so i cleaned my guns this morning....gotta take my dad's 22 to the gun shop to get the scope properly mounted. Not much to do when it's raining out, and i don't feel like getting sick.

Watched Four Brothers last night, very good movie.

I found a way I can do situps without having someone hold my feet, i use our coffee table/chest, just set that down on top of my feet and situps become easy, well easier than without pressure on the feet.

I need to drain the squirrel laying in the fridge, it has dirt and hair in it so i gonna have to try to get that crap out, dunno how...

It's hard to believe i'll be 22 on saturday. i've "known" most of you for like 7 years...freakin long time. I can't wait til next thursday, i'll be able to pick up my digital camera. Z740_front_270x190.jpg

yea...i get asked if i'm still in school/out of school yet very often. i dunno why, i guess i've been blessed with a youthful appearance. :joy:

i caught my sister's stupid upper respiratory infection.....

i just watched Lord of War....pretty cool movie.

Hmmm... I wonder if that's what's wrong with mine. (No, I still haven't had it looked at... but it hasn't really bothered me in a while.)

Most to the week at work was pretty damn dull.

Wednesday we had the meeting of the local chapter of the AES at work. That was pretty interesting. The speakers talked about "Line Array" PA speakers. And one company brought in and set up a small demo system. It was pretty cool to hear in the hall... even if it was a quick and dirty set up and tuning, you could really hear the way such a system could benefit us.

Other than that, we just finished the maintenance, and did a little training for some of the new folks.

Kathy Griffin did her stand-up routine there last night, but I didn't work the show. Never found her all that funny...

had a good birthday. even with the stupid cough. my sis got me both transporter movies and saving private ryan on dvd, my parents got me cabela's outdoor adventures and cabela's dangerous hunts 2, and they're going to pay off my layawayed digital camera. :D we went out for supper, i had the fresh salmon, haven't had fish in a while, it was good.

i am off work til tuesday....

College starts today. not particularlly happy about he whole school thing, e.because it's truely do or die time. my gpa is at 1.25, and needs to get above a 2.00.... or else i get kicked out of the college. not cool.

that and my boss is breathing down my neck for ****. go suck it, i need to make sure i don't fail any classes because of work this time. moron. >.<

I really hate it when he says he, quote "Understands your committments outside this organization."

HORSECRAP. You understand the little black ink I write that says we're up 50% in sales and making money out the rear. Shove it, buddy.

Let's see how understanding you are when I drop the bomb that me and a crew person are dating, and I'll say, "Well, sir, you said you understood my committments outside this organization, and we have been dating.... outside the organization... SIR."

I work at a college, and we have a staff of over 30 work-study students. It's always a delicate balance between using them for work, and making sure we don't work them too much. The law is they can only work 15-hours a week, each.

As it is, school always has to come first... but then the school starts piling on concerts and other events that need to be staffed. We always end up with a few that occasionally work over. Then we start getting the nasty letters from Student Employment.

So we have to end up hiring more students to work... which always turns into a logistical and scheduling nightmare. And it never fails: as soon as we have more staff, more shows get booked. So we end up in the same situation.

Right now, between 4 concert/ recital halls and 30+ work study students we are covering over 1,200 concert events a year. Actually, it's probably closer to 1,500 by this point.

The math is really hard to get to work out...

Today was blah, in every possible sense of the word.

I didn't get more than about a half-an-hour's sleep last night... making me feel just-so-oh-so-very-good today.

Combine that with the several inches of snow we got this morning, followed immediately with a cold, driving rain all day, and you are left with a slushtacularly sloppy wonderland of ick.

Here's hoping tomorrow will be better...

cracken, i thought you were a manager? if you're dating one of the crew or a subordinate, you could easily end up the recipient of a sexual harrassment suit.

dude, get that GPA up!! how the hell could you let it slip to a 1.25? I'm kicking myself over a 3.66 last quarter.

I completely disintegrated last semester and bombed two classes. Of course, that means I have to take them again and they're not offered until next fall. I'm going to be a ****ing 6.5 year senior. Granted, that first year of college shouldn't really count. And then there were the major changes. And when I transferred. Twice.

See, i'd really wanted to go to grad school, but for a variety of reasons, my GPA was lacking (that transferring business was key). Then I determined that grad school was out of the question and I gave up for, like, two weeks. And that was enough to destroy my grade in one class and I tanked a midterm in another. After that I thought "what are you doing? you're throwing what work you did do in the garbage." So i rallied...but not quite enough. Now I just want to be done. But I really hate having spent so long going to college and not really doing all the "college" stuff.

You know, its been almost seven years since I showed up in these parts. Yeah, the heyday is long gone and not even I post that much any more. But I think I'd be really sad if one day everyone was completely gone. A small part of me wishes that all of us guys could hang out on a warm spring afternoon here in State College (you guys would love it), head up to College Avenue and grab a pizza in one of the cafes that's open to the street, and bull**** (while I leer at girls and not talk to them).

Archived