Home

What Kind Of Car Do you have!

UncleO

@ Astro- Why do your MPG go down on the hwy? Thats unusual. Is it a Hybrid thing?

Its because hybrids get the electricity from braking. Freeway driving requires less braking, so the car has to rely more on gasolene.

I happen to drive a 1999 Chevy Malibu. Its cute and gets ok milage. I enjoy having a v-6 though....4bangers just dont do it for me anymore XD.

Fuu

Its because hybrids get the electricity from braking. Freeway driving requires less braking, so the car has to rely more on gasolene.

nope, thats not entirely accurate, nit in the prius anyway. The regenative braking doesnt really convert into mileage. Basically, the way hybrids save fuel is by the electric motor kicking in when :

*low acceleration

*dead stop

*stop start driving eg, city-traffic driving

Its actually the spinning of the tyres that produces most of the battery charge for the electric motor.

The reason why highway MPG is rated lower is because in those figures it is assumed that a constant higher speed/acceleration must be maintained.

It all really depends on the route you are taking, and how well you can adapt the pulse and glide style of driving to that route. If you have alot of downhill slopes on your route, you can decrease use of the ICE(int combustion engine) considerably.

As for D333 query, the prius do have issues in ULTRA cold climates, but alot of people Ive come across live in colder climates and still clock up over 45MPG easily :)

mtfbwya

@Astro: Good to know! I cant be miss smarty-pants all the time. XD

@Prime: Yeah Jettas are good little cars. They go forever, usually past the normal 200k miles <provided you don't end up with a lemon>. I actually had a purple 94 until it blew up a couple months ago. Woot for German engineering!

Fuu

@Prime: Yeah Jettas are good little cars. They go forever, usually past the normal 200k miles <provided you don't end up with a lemon>. I actually had a purple 94 until it blew up a couple months ago. Woot for German engineering!
Yeah, they are pretty solid. I thank the Germans for keeping my baby safe. :)

Though on my wishlist is a 1967 Shelby GT-500! :xp:

Gone in Sixt Seconds baby w00t! I love me my Elanor (yeah, I've got one parked in my mind :xp: ) Well, naturally since I'm 13, I don't have a lisence. But my mom does let me park her car, so I s'pose you could say that I drive a 2000 Checy Cavalier. Thing tops out at about 15 :(

I currently drive a 1995 Subaru Legacy my parents bought for me when I earned my Eagle Scout rank. I am saving for a used BMW 8 series(which I have been enthralled with since first seeing one on the street) as a college graduation gift for myself. I learned to drive on my father's BMW 535i and my mother's GMC Suburban, and early on figured out which I would rather drive on a daily basis.

The newer Bimmers are not so good on reliability, but the earlier models were(and still are) highly reliable. Germans engineer the cars well, but aren't so good with the electronics required in a modern car, which is what most of the reliability issues are about.

Well, there was a similar thread a while back that I posted this pic to. This is my 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix. The only real car on the planet as far as I am concerned ;) . j/k It is my baby though.

77-prix1.jpg

Here's a recent shot of my new seats. I had to recreate the GP logo in Adobe Illustrator so that the embroidery shop could digitize it for the stitching machine.

4561814234133009ag.th.jpg

Archived