Home

Star Wars KotOR series' games and new technologies...

Leviathan

Dear LucasForums community,

it's been a while since my last visit here, and I start posting here again, since I think none other messages boards could provide me answers to such questions... (Which might cost me a lot of money and time spent uselessly...)

So, here they're :

- Can KotOR I and II handle properly nVidia's Scalable Link Interface technology ?

- Can KotOR I and II be used with two (Or only one) nVidia GeForce 7 series' video card(s) ? (GeForce 7800GTX, 7800GT, 7800GS, etc...)

- Does this game support AMD Athlon 64 processors ? (Such as the Athlon 64 FX-57, 4000+, etc...)

- What about multi-core ones ? (Like the Athlon X2 4800+ and all others, without forgetting the quad-core processors scheduled for 2007)

- Which nVidia driver(s) is (are) the most adapted for playing at KotOR I and II ?

- Can KotOR series games be run on a computer owning nVidia Quadro products, either in SLI mode or not ?

Maybe all these questions have been already asked there, but I'm not here for spamming, just to get answers to them... In fact, this thread could almost be used as a F.A.Q., in order to gather all "Questions and Answers" regarding KotOR I / II and all new technologies... (Quad-cores, A.T.I. Crossfire, etc...)

Thanks in advance !...

With my best regards...

PS : Please do not point me to the threads I've also posted on BioWare and Obsidian message boards... I've processed like that in order to get many more advices, not redirection links...

well, i can't answer everything, i can give you a bit of info:

neither game supports SLI. the games will run, but i don't think you'll see a performance increase by using two cards.

the games will run on Athlon 64 processors just fine. just be aware that the games aren't threaded for either multiple cores/processors nor are they threaded as a 64-bit app, so you shouldn't see much of a performance gain over a 32-bit single core processor.

as for the Quadro cards, i don't think those cards are supported by the games. you could try to get them to run, but i don't think you'll have very good results.

- Can KotOR I and II handle properly nVidia's Scalable Link Interface technology ?

- Can KotOR I and II be used with two (Or only one) nVidia GeForce 7 series' video card(s) ? (GeForce 7800GTX, 7800GT, 7800GS, etc...)

- Does this game support AMD Athlon 64 processors ? (Such as the Athlon 64 FX-57, 4000+, etc...)

- What about multi-core ones ? (Like the Athlon X2 4800+ and all others, without forgetting the quad-core processors scheduled for 2007)

- Which nVidia driver(s) is (are) the most adapted for playing at KotOR I and II ?

- Can KotOR series games be run on a computer owning nVidia Quadro products, either in SLI mode or not ?

Maybe all these questions have been already asked there, but I'm not here for spamming, just to get answers to them... In fact, this thread could almost be used as a F.A.Q., in order to gather all "Questions and Answers" regarding KotOR I / II and all new technologies... (Quad-cores, A.T.I. Crossfire, etc...)

-Yes, certain areas do perform better in SLI (like Dantooine)

-Yes, all 7-series cards are supported with driver release 80

-Yes, Athlon 64's are compatible when powering Windows XP x86 Edition (standard one) or Windows XP x64 Edition

-Yes, although the game isn't multi-threaded and wouldn't take advantage of the extra core

-In my experience, 77.77

-Most likely, although better framerates would be possible with a gaming card, like a 6-series or 7-series card

Well, according to this web-page, KotOR I / II would be optimized on SLI-based platforms...

Also, do you know whether some KotOR series games' owners have already encountered major problems while playing to these games on computers equipped with 64-bits processors, graphic cards in SLI mode, Quadro or GeForce 7 GPU's, etc... ?

PS : I've not got so many replies on both BioWare and Obsidian bulletin-boards... Thanks again !...

Well, I'm currently using an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego Core CPU and twin GeForce 7800 GTX 512's in SLI in the game and have yet to experience any major issues with KotOR 2. However, KotOR 1 does appear to perform slightly worse with the 81.98 drivers, not in terms of FPS, but there are sometimes artifacts or flickering. As for being optimized for SLI, that page lists game profiles that enhance the game's performance and quality by tweaking the way the cards render the game, the Odyssey Engine itself doesn't take advantage of the second card. These profiles increase performance a great deal though and actually reduce any performace issues KotOR I has with 7-series cards. Athlon 64's and 7-series cards are well worth the slight issues you may or may not experience with KotOR I/II though, and these issues will probably be fixed soon enough :)

As far as I know, DirectX won't be used anymore in further Vista releases... And I guess it is an additional argument not to be able to run Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic series' games on such systems...

Now, I think I do not have other questions... But if somebody owns interesting informations regarding KotOR I and II's compatibility with recent technologies, please post them in this thread...

Thanks in advance !...

If it doesn't then it would be in name only, however I think they'll keep it the same, I remember seeing another article on the Microsoft webpage with a 'DirectX 10' headline on it. I hope game developers switch to (all) OpenGL for their games though, DX 10 will slow down DX games of a lower version (say 9.0c...), and I don't want Vista on my machine unless it's necessary (like KotOR III-will-be-exclusive-to-it necessary).

Archived