Home

Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

Lando Griffin

There is a main quest. Morrowind is huge, so you might want to go find the companion book. I liked that game alot, there is so much you can do besides the main quest thread.

Also, you might want to check out the Elder Scrolls website for more info. I know there are alot of mods for this game as well, look around some and im sure youll find more then you expected.

Fuu

The game is pretty good. And yes there is a main quest. Morrowind is HUGE. And you could find enemies everywhere. It looks nice and it is nicely done.

Although the loading screens can take a while (work you damn machine!). And the way the NPCs give you directions is TERRIBLE. You could get easily lost if you don't follow the directions correctly.

It's a nice game. But still, I liked Neverwinter Nights more.

Although the loading screens can take a while (work you damn machine!).

:confused: That's weird. With me, the game loads so fast I don't even see any load screens.

I never got past the first town... perhaps someday I will try Morrowind again.

You definitely should. The game gets much better after the beginning.

I never got past the first town... perhaps someday I will try Morrowind again.

It took me some time to get into the game. I was erring around Seydna Need aimlessly, after exploring the area for a while I went to Vivec and started doing quests there and totally got lost (in Vivec and in the quests) and didn't know what to do.

I set the game aside and took it back after a little while. The second time, I installed the better bodies/heads mod (it helps when your character looks like this: http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/MW_Home.html rather than the original models), did a few quests in Seydna Need and went directly to Balmora to meet Caius...and I became addicted to Morrowind just as Caius seemed to be additcted to skooma :xp: I've beaten the game three times since then and did all the side quests I could find and tried tons of mods and made a few :D

I just finished my first playthrough of Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon last week, a game that I started in the beginning of November, playing on average 2-4 hours/day. This game has to be hands-down the longest game I've played yet.

If you are used to more story-driven games it can be a bit confusing though. You aren't really spoonfed everything, but have to go exploring to find out everything you can do.

The main quest starts with the first quest you get, right at the beginning of the game right before you are released, when you are given an encrypted package and instructions to take it to Caius Cosades in the town Balmora.

If you want to do it right away or do other things first is entirely up to you, however. I'd recommend not putting it off for too long since you get some pretty useful things after you've done a few of those quests.

If you only do the main quest though you'll miss out something like 90% of the game. The rest of the quests can be found by roaming around and exploring, and by joining one (or several) of the factions and guilds. You can join (and advance to the top of) most of the organizations during a game if you want.

At the end of my game I was the Guildmaster of the Fighters Guild, the Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, the Master Thief of the Thieves Guild, Knight of the Imperial Legion, "Primate" of the Imperial Cult, Archcanon of The Tribunal Temple, Factor of the East Empire Company, Archmagister of House Telvanni and Grandmaster of House Hlaalu. (Though I got the impression you are only supposed to be able to join one of the Great Houses, so that last one might have been a bug. :) )

The only thing I noticed you have to be a bit careful of is if you are doing both the Thieves Guild and Fighters Guild, since if you blindly follow FG-orders it will conflict with your Thieves Guild membership.

This said, one of the main points of Morrowind, IMHO, is exploration, much more so than combat. Travelling the huge game world and discovering everything that can be found there. Many places, quests and useful artifacts can be found off the beaten paths.

The second time, I installed the better bodies/heads mod (it helps when your character looks like this: http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/MW_Home.html rather than the original models)

This cannot be emphasised enough, in my opinion. The original character models and heads are hideously ugly, and was one of the reasons I never got further than Seyda Neen the first time I tried the game in 2003. With the Better Bodies and Better Heads mods (and with antialiasing manually set to active in the ATI control panel) it's like a whole new game. It makes a tremendous difference for the visual experience.

Some mods that I would recommend even on a first playthrough as I have found they enhance the experience:

• Balmora Expansion - Makes the town Balmora a bit more worthy of the title of second largest town on the island.
  • CanadianIce Robe Replacer - A bit more stylish robe models and textures. (Download link is at the forum linked to from that page.)
  • Better Bodies - Replaces the hideous original body models with better, non-segmented, more realistic ones.
  • NPC Replacer - Adds new and better head and hair models to the game, replacing the freakish-looking original heads.
  • Real Signposts - Makes the road signs in the game show in plain text the place they point out so you won't have to get close and highlight them to read. Warning: If you have the Tribunal and/or Bloodmoon expansions installed, you must clean this mod with the TES Plugin Tool, or it will interfere with the new Summon spells added in those expansions for some reason.
  • Windows Glow - Makes exterior windows of houses illuminated during the night, and interior windows illuminated during the day.
  • Wilderness Sounds - Adds ambient sounds to the wilderness areas. Improves the "mood" of those areas.
  • Metal Queen Boutique - While some of the clothing it adds feels a bit out of character for the Morrowind world, it adds some very nice clothing and armor, IMHO.

IAt the end of my game I was the head of the Guildmaster of the Fighters Guild, the Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, the Master Thief of the Thieves Guild, Knight of the Imperial Legion, "Primate" of the Imperial Cult, Archcanon of The Tribunal Temple, Factor of the East Empire Company, Archmagister of House Telvanni and Grandmaster of House Hlaalu. (Though I got the impression you are only supposed to be able to join one of the Great Houses, so that last one might have been a bug. :) )
Yes, this is a known bug but it's a funny bug :D

The only thing I noticed you have to be a bit careful of is if you are doing both the Thieves Guild and Fighters Guild, since if you blindly follow FG-orders it will conflict with your Thieves Guild membership.
Some quests are incompatible and you really have to be careful. You can also do the Mora Tong quests but if you do them, you can't join the thief's guild and vice versa.

I actually made my own house (and some items) for this game, though, I think most modders probably do. I loved this game. I've played it through once and never had the desire to start a new game. Perhaps its because it is such a large game.

Bump your acrobatics stats way above normal and you can almost fly :)

And the better bodies and MQB mods are a must!

i have the original xbox version and the goty version. i got a new computer last year, so i had to ask for morrowind for xmas because i got sooooooooooo sick of waiting like 3-5 minutes for xbox to load the save games. It's alot more fun on the pc. just be careful who you kill if you want to do the main quest. i killed that wizard in arvs drelen.....didn't know til i went to house telvanni and was ordered to get info from him....then trying to do main quest when i needed some more info. :(

I actually made my own house (and some items) for this game, though, I think most modders probably do.

Probably. :) It was the second mod I felt compelled to do while playing (the first being a script mod to remove the Ash storms from Molag Amur and the Ashlands, and stop Dagoth creatures from spawning on Red Mountain, once Dagoth Ur was defeated, to make it feel more like you've done something for the better.)

I got a bit dissapointed when I got my "stronghold" at Tel Uvirith for the Telvanni. What use is a tower in the most remote and barren spot possible on the map, in the middle of sweet nowhere? So I built a nicer tower on Azura's Coast with its own dock and "Intervention" spell. :)

Bump your acrobatics stats way above normal and you can almost fly :)

This was my preferred mode of transportation when my character got fairly powerful. I made a "Haste" spell that bumped your Athletics, Speed and Acrobatics by 200 points. You could leap from the Vivec Temple to Ebonheart docks in one jump. Perhaps a bit overkill, but it made those long wilderness treks over already explored areas a bit more bearable. :)

This was my preferred mode of transportation when my character got fairly powerful. I made a "Haste" spell that bumped your Athletics, Speed and Acrobatics by 200 points. You could leap from the Vivec Temple to Ebonheart docks in one jump. Perhaps a bit overkill, but it made those long wilderness treks over already explored areas a bit more bearable. :)

Sounds similar to the "Fly" spell I made for trekking over already explored areas.. ;)

Fly (Levitate) @ 100pts / Constant = SuperFly and Death From Above combat :devsmoke: Tag that on custom belt/ring, & I was having some fun. Needless to say the Cliff Racers weren't too happy (or the Dragons if you install the GIANTS mod) .. hehehe..

Making house mods were fun. I had used one of the modder resources to get a Geodesic Glass Dome.. plopped that on a custom land mass, add furniture/statics and I had a floating see-thru "Epcot" :D

Sounds similar to the "Fly" spell I made for trekking over already explored areas.. ;)

Fly (Levitate) @ 100pts / Constant = SuperFly and Death From Above combat :devsmoke: Tag that on custom belt/ring, & I was having some fun. Needless to say the Cliff Racers weren't too happy

Heh, levitate is almost unfair against poor melee monsters. The ring with a constant Levitate enchantment is something my character rarely left home without. Though levitate was a bit slow (unless you use the Windwalk scrolls) to travel vast distances quickly. (And for some reason it seems you can't hit cliff racers from above, only from the front and from below. Odd, that.)

Still, levitate doesn't work where you really need it, in Mournhold, Sotha Sil and in the daedric ruin on Solstheim. Being able to jump high came in fairly handy there... :)

Fly (Levitate) @ 100pts / Constant = SuperFly and Death From Above combat :devsmoke: Tag that on custom belt/ring, & I was having some fun. Needless to say the Cliff Racers weren't too happy (or the Dragons if you install the GIANTS mod) .. hehehe..

Cliff racers? What are you talking about? :xp: I removed them from my game a long time ago :D The first one was fun but I soon got tired of having them all around me every time I stepped in the Ashlands. Meeting with a cliff racer once in while is ok but every 20 feet is just annoying. Getting rid of them was necessary to keep my sanity. Now I'm the only cliff racer on the Island: I have a spell to turn me into one of those that I use as a "fast and hassle free" travel system :p

Cliff racers? What are you talking about? :xp: I removed them from my game a long time ago :D The first one was fun but I soon got tired of having them all around me every time I stepped in the Ashlands. Meeting with a cliff racer once in while is ok but every 20 feet is just annoying. Getting rid of them was necessary to keep my sanity.

That's a good idea, but Molag Amur (which seems even more CR-infested than the Ashlands) would be rather empty without cliffracers, so maybe adding some more beasts to their spawners would make them less annoying.

All too common while exploring the Molag Amur Region. Like every hill or so. :roleyess:

Now I'm the only cliff racer on the Island: I have a spells to turn me into one of those that I use as a "fast and hassle free" travel system :p

Sounds like fun. Is this a mod you made for yourself or can it be downloaded somewhere?

Cliff racers? What are you talking about? :xp: I removed them from my game a long time ago :D The first one was fun but I soon got tired of having them all around me every time I stepped in the Ashlands.
:lol: :lol:

hehehe.. yah, quite annoying, but I'm using a "modified" version of the fletching mod, so I need those Racer Plumes ingredients to make my custom, "no smack talk or I'll dot your eye from 200 yards" arrows :xp:

I'm an alchemy nut-ball too so I 'just have' to make them (potions, crafting, etc.) myself.. I dislike buying ingredients... otherwise I'd have no reason to explore. I'd just teleport or fast-travel to each town...

I've made a custom class whose RPG story are "wanderers" or Waywards. They make (or steal) what they need and survive 'on-the-go'.. combine this with the Ranger Tent mod (no perma-house mods in my latest playthrough) and it was tons of fun :D

Levitation is all right if you make your own levitation potions. After making a couple dozen fortify intelligence potions while drinking them you can boost your intelligence to godly hieghts. Once its over 3000 you can make any type of potion powerfull.

My last play through I boosted my intel to around 30,000( way overkill, but this was like my 7th play through so I wasn't above a little exploiting. ;) ) and the levitation potions I made were close to 500 points levitate and lasted about a 1000 seconds. Flying that fast is cool in FP mode but in 3rd person, forget it. Making Heal potions and restore fatigue potions at that level were fun too. ;). Also with intelligence that high you can enchant anything you want. The only problem with boosting your intel that high is that the game freaks out a little when it wears off and will usually force your normal intel below what it should be so you end up having to reset it with the console.

I read a Dev post at the Bethesda forums saying that they took Levitation out of Oblivion and to prevent people from exploiting stackable potions they made it so that you can only drink a few at a time and if you have had your fill then you'll have to wait until the effect wear off before you can drink more potions. The amount of potions you can drink will be determined my your Alchemy skill, so the higher that skill is the more potions you can drink.

Super Jump should still be in the game though, perhaps not as a spell , but you will be able to boost your attributes to make you jump higher and further. :)

I know I'm weird, but my favorite part of Morrowind was getting caught

stealing/assaulting/killing someone and then serving a sentence at hard labor.

It fits in perfectly with my roleplay character! ;)

The advice the guards give you is also terrific for anyone about to go to jail:

"Then you must serve a sentence at hard labor. Serve your time peaceably,

and pay your debt to society."

Sure, your stats got bumped down by 1, but for me, it sure made the game

more realistic. You had to be VERY sneaky to get away with stuff, or at least I did.

Archived