Home

Joystick

revillsp

I didn't release that i could play Xwing Alliance, until i read one of these forums (thanks), so i found my copy and installed it straight away.

The proplem is i don't have a Joystick :(

Can i buy any old Joystick? or do i need to try and get one that is compatable with the game these days?

Its been awhile since ive used one. I could say something dirty here but i'll let you use you imageantion.

Yep.

I use the older Logitech Wingman force-feedback sticks, but any of the newer ones should do. The MS Sidewinders are supposed to be really good also. Even a gamepad would probably work, if you don't mind remapping the controls a bit.

But a stick with a throttle and a bunch of programmable buttons is generally the best way to go.

Even an old two-button CH FlightStick will work, but keep in mind that not all sticks, even USB ones, are auto-detected. IIRC, the only sticks that will be auto-detected are Logitech WingMan Digitals and Microsoft Sidewinders. The other types have to be manually added through Control Panel, and there are a bunch of generic types, so choose the one that best describes the stick you have. To determine the type, keep in mind that a three-axis stick refers to a stick that can be twisted as well as moved up and down and sideways, and a POV switch (as listed in Control Panel) is commonly referred to as a "hat".

Thanks Fondas. will a throttle one work as well.

One where you use both hands, your left hand on the trottle while your right use the joystick. (incase you didn't know what i ment)

Hi revillsp,

what you´re talking about is commonly known as HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick). The answer is yes, a HOTAS system will work and will also give you a lot of flexibility.

I finished XWA using a Saitek X36 HOTAS, later I even used my Cougar HOTAS also, but I have to admit the latter is an overkill for games like XWA ;)

Anyway, if you can afford a HOTAS, it´s the best way to go. Saitek sells the X52 at a reasonable price.

If you´re looking for minimal throttle control, all major companies have sticks with a little trottle attached to them.

It´s all a matter of taste....and money ! ;)

Thanks Fondas i really apprestate that.

But im starting to wounder if its going to be worth it, because the cheaper Joysticks start from about £20. and if im only going to use it with XWA (Don't get me wrong) is it really going to be worth it?

Well i guess thats something im going to have to figure out myself.

Thanks again, all of you

any gamer worth his salt should own at least one joystick.

5 years ago I'm sure I would have said the exact same thing,.. but since there hasn't been a flight combat sim really worth a damn to come out for PC in the last couple of years I can kinda understand why someone might not have one.

Mine have been mostly collecting dust for the last couple of years.

Frankly, I own a Sidewinder, with tons of buttons, hat, throttle, etc. but I find it no better than my old two-button joystick. I wind up using the keyboard for most things even though I map them to the joystick. It just feels more comfortable. The only "advanced" joystick feature I really like is the "twisty stick", used for rolling as opposed to holding down one of the buttons and moving the stick. Sadly, X-Wing does not support that. But X-Wing Alliance does, and it is a great improvement.

my joystick is a gravis blackhawk digital, at least 6 or 7 years old, and I use it almost solely for XWA.

My point is that as a gamer, you should be prepared for any type of game. Not having a joystick because you're primarily an FPS player limits yourself.

my joystick is a gravis blackhawk digital, at least 6 or 7 years old, and I use it almost solely for XWA.

My point is that as a gamer, you should be prepared for any type of game. Not having a joystick because you're primarily an FPS player limits yourself.

Yeah, i can see where your coming from.

but how many games these day need a joystick....

for example, Freelancer is sort of simliar to XWA, and your able to play that without a joystick, just a keyboard and mouse.

Also im not a primarily a FPS more of a RTS player that y you'll see most of my posts on the EAW area, FPS come seconed and RPS im just getting into thanks to KOTOR.

I'd go with a Logitech stick, provided you're right handed. They're well made and they have good ergenomics.

Of course what I've always wanted is HOTAS and pedals, oh and one of those things microsoft makes so you can talk to your computer, for wingman commands.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an old Sidewinder Precision Pro that's wearing out. Are the logitech sticks similar? All the ones with springs just died horribly, including two thrustmasters, and the $25 saitek i got was so resistive and unresponsive I gave up trying to use it.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

i just installed the good old game, and remembered the thing with the joystick. I thought moment: ive got one ! The xbox 360 controller can be used on PC because it uses USB as interface. So i plugged the thing in in the USB port of my PC, AND .... it dont worked. The game do not recognizes the xbox controller as joystick. Do anybody know the way out ? Or maybe a driver to play with mouse & keyboard ?

Please help me people: i loved this game !

Archived