Home

Is my monitor stuck like this? >_>

ZeroX2

So I upped my monitor refresh rate from 60 to 85 Hz. All was fine until earlier today, when the screen started flickering while I played Call of Duty 2. I turned the monitor off and then back on, and it seemed to have fixed itself, though I thought the screen looked slightly different. When I exited to Windows, I saw that it had actually stretched the screen horizontally as well as bent the image inwards. Adjusting the horizontal size and pincusion factor on my monitor has no affect on the image at all, though I can adjust other settings such as verticle size without a problem. Changing the refresh rate back doesn't help, nor does turning the monitor off, etc. So is it stuck this way forever now? =/ It's a CRT monitor, if that's important.

Adjusting the horizontal size and pincusion factor on my monitor has no affect on the image at all, though I can adjust other settings such as verticle size without a problem. Changing the refresh rate back doesn't help, nor does turning the monitor off, etc. So is it stuck this way forever now? =/ It's a CRT monitor, if that's important.

Do you mean that you used the buttons on your monitor and opened up the neat little menu to adjust things? If you didn't you should try it that way and see what happens. There should be a menu button on your monitor, and arrow buttons to navigate it. :)

Do you mean that you used the buttons on your monitor and opened up the neat little menu to adjust things?

Yeah, it didn't help. =/ I can adjust the value, but it doesn't affect the image at all.

Is there a "factory reset" option on your monitor?

You could also try unplugging the monitor's power for a while.

I tried unplugging it - didn't help. And there isn't a reset option. =/

I think theres an option, at least on mine, that says "don't display refresh rates that aren't fully supported by my monitor." So I check that... and only 60 hertz is available.

Actually, if its smoking, it may have just been on the way out anyways, and could have nothing to do with the refresh rate. Don't bother trying to fix it though, not now. Don't open it either, monitors carry a crap load of power in them, and can kill you, even if unplugged... its best to use the other one your using now, and buy a better one later. :-\ Still sucks though...

...Don't open it either, monitors carry a crap load of power in them, and can kill you, even if unplugged...

I second that. Capacitors and other components can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Heck, they can even be dangerous if you do know what you are doing.

seems a bit of a waste of time upping it past 60Hz anyway, c'mon how many of you can really tell the diference?

If you are still using a CRT maybe it is time to upgrade anyway. nothing lasts forever, it might have been nothing to do with the refresh rate that caused it to break.

seems a bit of a waste of time upping it past 60Hz anyway, c'mon how many of you can really tell the diference?

I could see a slight difference when I increased the refresh rate. When I tried decreasing it back to 60 Hz, though, I noticed a huge difference. >_> Anyway, they say 60 Hz is terrible for the eyes, so that's reason alone to increase it.

Never ever open up a CRT monitor, there is one large capacitor that has a truckload of charge in it, plenty enough to kill when it discharges....

Go the LCD, in the end a cheaper alternative, and if you splash out a little, you can get them with a quicker response time (that used to be their downfall)

It depends on what region in which you live. 50Hz power is pretty much everywhere but the USA.

Yours eyes notice lower refresh rates, even if you don't consciously know it. It does cause eye strain and can lead to headaches and such. A high enough refresh rate is transparent to your eyes and nerves. Meaning your eyes don't have to work as hard.

I could see a slight difference when I increased the refresh rate. When I tried decreasing it back to 60 Hz, though, I noticed a huge difference. >_> Anyway, they say 60 Hz is terrible for the eyes, so that's reason alone to increase it.

But lets face it any CRT is bad for the eyes. I can't use them for more than an hour with out a headache, LCD all the way for me...

***I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD DO THIS***

Oh and the thing about the capasitor, if you are carfull and know what you are doing you can safely discharge it without killing yourself

***I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD DO THIS***

Nah, it's been buzzing for about a year or more, I believe. I was just connected to one of my other PCs until now.

...Actually, I think it only buzzes in this spot. I don't actually remember it buzzing at all when my other PC used it.

Archived