Home

501st/Battle of Hoth

Justus

So what were the 501st doing in the waning years of the Empire? Just kicking it on Star Destroyers? Many battles left to be fought after Hoth, did they accompany Vader to Bespin? Leaves many questions unanswered, I suppose it is up to the modding community to fill in those gaps.

From what I understood the 501st served the Empire until after the battle of Endor, where they eventually disolved after the death of the Empreror and Vader, after that they disentigrated into the power struggles of various Imperial Officers that tried to resurrect the Empire. Also Thrawn resurrected the 501st in name only.

Hoth was probably their last battle of great recognition, before they retired (clones don't live forever after all.) I mean better to leave the campaign on an epic note, then some unimportant minor raid.

That being said a campaign for the birth of the rebellion would be cool, maybe beginning on the Tantive IV, where you have to ensure certain droids escape imperial hands, to the climactic battle above Endor and the fall of the Empire, that would be a cool campaign.

Was the 501st on Endor? I thought that was another of the empires finest legions, not the 501st. I was under the impression they retired from service before the battle of Endor, read it somewhere I think.

But yeah that would have been a really degrading final mission. Defeated by the vicious feral carebears of Endor.

What I have read on Starwars.com is that they served the Empire through the Battle of Endor, whether or not they were at the battle of Endor is anyone's guess... I would imagine they would have been, unless they were reassigned to another commander that wasn't present at Endor.

The game TIE Fighter had you fighting up till the last days of the Empire, BF2 could've handled it in a similar fashion. I do admit that some of those later TIE Fighter missions, especially in Defender of the Empire expansion pack got a bit intense, but it was interesting to be under the gun like that.

Was the 501st on Endor? I thought that was another of the empires finest legions, not the 501st. I was under the impression they retired from service before the battle of Endor, read it somewhere I think.

But yeah that would have been a really degrading final mission. Defeated by the vicious feral carebears of Endor.

Yeah... Empire's "Finest" Legions...

I wish they were retired before Endor though in my heart, then they do not have to see the Empire slipping out of their hands.

Endor have no king, Endor NEEDS no King.

True, but Blizzard Force was specifically trained for harsh conditions, additionally they are trained to work along with AT-AT's and AT-ST's on assault missions, they don't use stealth, they just go in knock the planet out and leave basically.

Snowtroopers are just Stormtroopers outfitted for cold weather. That's all.

Wrong. They are an entirely different corps with different training and different duties. It's like Army and Marines; some people might confuse the two, but in reality they are not interchangable.

Yeah... Empire's "Finest" Legions...

Lol, yeah, the emperor did say he had his best troops waiting for the rebels on the planet. The 501st might have been stationed with Vader on his SSD, or maybe they were somewhere else.

I guess the 501st never was officially on Hoth, maybe a certain detachment was outfitted speacially for the mission to support Blizzard force. After all they did accompany Vader everywhere, it's possible I suppose.

I think it's without a doubt just another innaccuracy made for the sake of the campaign. They did this alot, have the 501st supporting another battalion of troops, not exactly canon, but at least it doesn't go right out and claim that is was all the 501st, and the other troops arn't even their.

Well, snowtroopers, sandtroopers, swamptroopers... and other variants, they are all different.

Now 501st is more like a commando group, so It won't be strange if some of them are on Hoth... though the majority of the assault would be via standard snowtroopers.

Its like, if the recon commandos are in a battle... doesn't mean that a WHOLE ARMY of recon commandos is fighting there (lets ignore the fact that where in hail can you find army of recons)

Archived