Home

Casablanca

Shuz

Seeing as how GF is heavily influenced by this movie (well Year 2 anyway) I finally got around to seeing for the first time. I must say its one of the best movies I've ever seen. The style, the romance, the drama, the characters, everything was so polished. It was fun spotting the similarities between GF and Casablanca such as the corrupt policeman and the "Blue Parrot" nightclub. Gf and Casablanca in my opinion also share a similar romantic spirit thats hard to find elsewhere.

If anyone hasn't seen it already I highly recommend it, not only because its related to GF but also because it's a classic movie.

Who else has seen it? I assume El Virus has hehe.

Who else has seen it? I assume El Virus has hehe.

You got that right ;).

Casablanca is an excellent movie; back when I was a kid I thought it was very overrated, but I was quite surprised when I actually saw it.

The writers did an exceptional job with the script.

I think it was one of the first old movies I ever saw, along with those Bing Crosby ones.

In case you haven't seen them, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep, are truly great films as well.

Another interesting title, and for what I've heard has got some similarities with the game, is the 1974 Chinatown, one of the best film noir movies out there. It has one major flaw, though; it's in color.

[This should go on another section, but has anyone noticed that Manny's line while talking to Glottis, "You are not too big, the cars are too small"; may or may not be a reference to Norma Desmond's line in Sunset Blvd., "I am big; it's the pictures that got small" ?]

Another interesting title, and for what I've heard has got some similarities with the game, is the 1974 Chinatown, one of the best film noir movies out there. It has one major flaw, though; it's in color.

Another great movie. The colours didn't bother me that much, though I guess it would have been another kind of experience without. Also, a great ending, one of the view that really touched me and made me wish I could have done something to change it.

There's a list of movie references somewhere on the internet. It points out the similarities between GF and Casablanca (if you were talking about Casablanca). However, you'll notice straightaway when you watch it, it's kind of funny.

Chinatown eh? Looks like my next movie to watch. BTW El Virus you could just reduce the colour setting on your TV to zero haha. I know I have done that before.

Has anyone seen a movie called 'Glendarry Glenn Ross'? It's about a real estate office where the agents are told that if they don't get some premium sales soon they'll get fired. It features one hot shot agent who's the only one selling anything, and the rest are pretty much failures. Then the premium leads get stolen and things get interesting.

A great movie which obviously served as a basis for some of the events in the first year of GF. Worth watching.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone seen a movie called 'Glendarry Glenn Ross'?

Kill me for the delay, if you want to, but I have just read this post.

Either way, if it is the Ed Harris movie that you are talking about, I remember watching it about a year ago, but it was during a bus trip and the sound was off. I didn't consider it to be GF reminiscent, but now that you mention it, you might be right.

Here's a bit from Schafer's designer diaries,

Okay, so that's Manny Calavera, our main character. But who's the bad guy? What's the plot? I had just seen Chinatown, and I really liked the whole water supply/real estate scam that Noah Cross had going there. So of course I tried to rip that off and have Manny be a real estate salesman who got caught up in a real estate scandal. Then he was just like the guys in Glengarry GlenRoss, always looking for the good leads. But why would Hector LeMans, my villain, want real estate? Why would anyone? They're dead! They're only souls. What do souls in the Land of the Dead want?

It's a good movie so if you get another chance to see it, go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

VampireNaomi, you may tell you brother for me he's a disgrace. People who do that to the Sacred DVDs are disgrace, aren't they? =)

Pho3nix, overrated-ness doesn't translate into bad quality. Ratings are to do with publicity, after all, not art.

Eh... Casablanca isn't overrated a whole lot, because it actually lives up to the hype people give it (well, some people). But Citizen Kane is overrated, totally. Its a good movie and all but... people make it out to be the best movie ever which it isn't. Besides, just because somethings overrated doesn't, by any means, make it a bad movie.

Archived