Home

Venator - out. Official

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Lucasarts associate producer; David Silverstein posted today that the Venator has indeed been removed from Empire at War, despite gaming press posting new screenshots, even as recent as Jan 4th 2006!

The Venator was cut from EAW guys. I asked them about it when it got removed from the EAW website and I got a response from them last night stating it was cut. [LEC] Rogue

Post your thoughts

DMUK

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I was looking forward to this. Maybe they are planning on a add-on and want to save the venator for it. It does seem silly though, considering how many people want it. Oh well, maybe it was to balance out the game, which is very likely. The Empire already has powerful ships.

Absolutely disgraceful! Why are we letting them get away with this? It's not as if it's not coded or anything, as it's been seen in game. It's not as if it's out of the timeline, as they have Acclamators. It's not as if people don't want it, if they really don't like it they can just not build them. It's pathetic, imo.

If modding tools aren't released around the same time as the game, it will be a clear message that the game is being milked by LucasArts. If that happens, I won't be buying a copy of their highly original Clone Wars expansion pack, with only 5 or 6 new ships for the empire, a handful of new planets, a small campaign and perhaps a load of bugs.

If I'd known that polishing meant removing, I'd advise all households to not buy cleaning products!

Guest DarthMaulUK

Maybe they are having problems of fitting it into the time line? Or it could all be about balance. Who knows, I forgot to ask them today!.

DMUK

Maybe they are having problems of fitting it into the time line? Or it could all be about balance. Who knows, I forgot to ask them today!.

DMUK

True, Venator's design is way more "outdated" than Rebs' and Imps' ships, yet, the timeline is strictly said to be "a bit after Ep3 and before.....", so, we need some Ep3's things; not just planets (which where not born after Ep3...................)

You start off with the Acclamator and Venator (example) and some new model Star Destroyer then RESEARCH your way up to Star Destroyers we see in Episode 4. Yes there was enough time to change from one ship model to another but doesn't mean they're all gone since they're probably not done switching from one ship to another in an instant since ships take a while to replace from service risking an attack from some random group.

In EAW language, If theres Acclamators then Venators should still be in service ready to come out of service and used by both sides depending on which missions you accept and deny. My opinion.

i dont really mind if its out its a game for cyring out loud
same here, I could care less if it's in the game, I just want the game to be bug free and fun to play.

I agree with you two. All the ships we've seen so far have looked magnificent, so it's not going to hurt me if one ship isn't included.

Though I must admit it is a good looking ship. :)

There are two goods and a bad with this however:

Good #1:

The ship was probably redundant in the game. I can see why they cut it, they have three big cap ships- the Acc, the VSD, and the ISD. Light, medium, heavy (since it's been well established that only transports can carry troops- they said balance issues came up when troops could be carried on cap ships). For people who don't really care or know differently, does adding an extra ship change the game that much? How much different could the Ven be from the other three to be worth it? Myself, I would have cut the VSD and kept the Ven, since the VSD isn't in any of the movies yet the Ven is- and let's face it: that's what most people know. Yep, I've seen VSDs since the TIE Fighter days, but I'd rather see the Ven.

Good #2:

The resource files/data for the Ven will probably still be in the game, so with a little modding we might still be able to access the Ven model. I would LOVE to just change the model of the VSD with the Ven, the name could stay the same- that's no biggie :) Just the look.

The Bad:

Big minus for the Promotion Department for not doing their checks on screen shots (I thought every dev did that, guess I'm wrong !) They released a ss today with the Ven in it in a new preview, and then the news that it's out of the game. Bad press department, bad bad bad...

...and the UGLY from the Gamespot Dev Diary (today):

They made a huge gameplay change, and then had to redo all their maps. Now they don't have the time to properly playtest. As with most games- I'll wait until the reviews and the first patch to buy (I heard the "first-patch" theory and practice it, it really does pay off in a better experience with fewer bugs!).

Not just a ship :| Its a ship just like a Star Destroyer and the Episode 2 ship is. It has meaning not just some "ship". Saying it like its some dull word. I know its outdated and all that but common, if you watched the Mini Clone Wars Series and Episode 3 you would like it.

Its like sayign a Imperial Star Destroyer is some worthless ship just because its in Episode 4 to 6 and that it didn't do anything special and it shouldn't be in the game for that reason. But O well what can you do Lucasarts took it out.

Why can't they just upload the Venator at the main EAW site as an optional download if they simply do not want it added in the official copy of the game for whatever reason? Sort of like how Maxis/Electronic Arts upload new landmarks for their Simcity games.

The model is already built and this would give Venator fans the satisfaction that they truly crave. If it does not fit in the story campaign, then fine. But at least let us have it for the conquest and multiplayer campaigns.

This is just ridiculous, and frankly my opinion of EaW just keeps getting lower and lower, which I didn't think was possible.

Why have the Assault Ship in-game, yet not the Attack Cruiser? It just doesn't make sense. The Assault Ship is older and less powerful, mostly because it's not a ship of the line, whereas the Attack Cruiser is. Also, we're seeing one of only three Imperial Battleships seen in the films (Attack Cruiser, Star Destroyer, Super Star Destroyer) cut in favour of something 100% EU (Victory). It's just stupid and to be blunt, it's not good enough.

Archived