Home

Saber system suggestions

JRHockney*

Hmm you might wanna do the same for punch too. I find it funny how come I can get punched to death, yet I can stand still and let someone hit me with a saber at point blank range, and dodge it like a ghost. Besides, it'll look cool if you dodge punches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange, OJP's trac seems to be timing out when I click on it, so I can't submit a ticket atm. Does anyone else have this problem? If not, could you do me a favor and submit a ticket for the idea above? Just copy and paste my last post on that idea in the ticket and say who its from. I'll be gone for the rest of the day I think so I won't be able to submit it today.

Hmm you might wanna do the same for punch too. I find it funny how come I can get punched to death, yet I can stand still and let someone hit me with a saber at point blank range, and dodge it like a ghost. Besides, it'll look cool if you dodge punches

Not a bad idea, although you might need to make punches a bit more powerful to compensate.

Jon: I've got the same problem too. I couldn't even able to access the system yesterday

Sushi: Not really, I think punches should be used as a last resort kind of weapon ie. no more ammo, no saber. After all, look at how Obiwan nearly got pwned by Grievous without a weapon :)

I almost forgot, I think we might need to test out how balanced staff and duel are against single or come up with some kind of higher point feature for them. We havent tested them in a long time and we've made quite a few changes to the saber system. I fought Hotrod a week or two ago and I could barely beat him when he had a staff, and he didn't realy know what he was doing at the time. He pretty much destroyed any other newer player that came on the server as well. We might have to do something like make it al little bit slower or something like that to balance it since it is alot harder to see its parry direction.

Also, have you had a chance to look further into that backhand idea, Razor? I still think that is the coolest way to add another mishap bar cash in move which Sushi was right about needing.

Yeah the main reasons why the backhand would be good aside from just adding ti the movielike visuals is because it would hit faster than kick and be a good final alternative (especially for noobs) if your having a hard time attack faking or attack parrying someone. But unlike the attack parry, it wouldn't do anything to someone who has no mishap or low mishap.

It just occurred to me that it wouldn't be too hard to make numbers pop out of players when something happens to them (sort of like a RPG). I know that some people wanted more feedback for parts of the saber system. Any one want stat numbers for hits and such?

Dude that would be &^#%(#$(%^#$( AWESOMEEEEEEEE! :D

Also gunners with lightning 3.

:p

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I still like that idea above as long as its optional. Second, I have a few tweeking ideas of the sabersystem based on my more recent play tests:

1. Make getting hit on the ground or without a saber more costly on DP then getting hit in a stumble because they are alot more rare than the stumble. I would say maybe the stumble costing x2 and the others x3 or x2.5 on normal DP cost. Defense is very risky and I think this would help make it worth it. It would even give a bigger reason to try a conversion.

2. Make getting hit in a kick go into dodge again or use that idea in my bug ticket about being able to block on the opposite side of your kick. Theirs just too many kick attempts right now. If we keep it the way it is, I would at least suggest that it cost a bit more DP to block.

3.I think lunge will still be used too much and I think it should only have the following uses: hitting a person on the ground and breaking through a straight defensive person. Therefore, I think you should go into a stumble if you hit a person with a lunge who is swinging.

4. I remember from UDMs trailer the look of that slowmotion parry (with the parry anim) causing the attacker to go flying looking really cool and I realized that that almost never happens anymore. Maybe attackparrying a low DP person should do that? How else could we make this happen more?

5. I still believe that the heavy bounce range should be increase and/or my idea about attackparrying the attackfake which would be alot more practical for every reason I've ever listed for it. For a saber system with as much depth as ours we should have more accessable ways of causing cool mishaps than just kicking all the time.

6. Those ideas about adding dodge as a skill and how to make it balanced I had before I still think are good ones. I'll repost them if needed but right now I'm tired and going to bed. :p

1. Make getting hit on the ground or without a saber more costly on DP then getting hit in a stumble because they are alot more rare than the stumble. I would say maybe the stumble costing x2 and the others x3 or x2.5 on normal DP cost. Defense is very risky and I think this would help make it worth it. It would even give a bigger reason to try a conversion.

I think we might need to rethink the lack of saber block during stumbles. Since stumbles mainly come from kicks now, they occur far more often and it seems weird to have them not have saber block defence.

2. Make getting hit in a kick go into dodge again or use that idea in my bug ticket about being able to block on the opposite side of your kick. Theirs just too many kick attempts right now. If we keep it the way it is, I would at least suggest that it cost a bit more DP to block.

I've thought about it for a while and I'm not sure how we could do the opposite side blocking without making it be a very specific hack. Maybe we should just not worry about it and focus on correcting issues with kick directly.

3.I think lunge will still be used too much and I think it should only have the following uses: hitting a person on the ground and breaking through a straight defensive person. Therefore, I think you should go into a stumble if you hit a person with a lunge who is swinging.

Add a task ticket for it and we'll give it a shot.

4. I remember from UDMs trailer the look of that slowmotion parry (with the parry anim) causing the attacker to go flying looking really cool and I realized that that almost never happens anymore. Maybe attackparrying a low DP person should do that? How else could we make this happen more?

Eh? You mean the way parries used to automatically force players into stumbles?

5. I still believe that the heavy bounce range should be increase and/or my idea about attackparrying the attackfake which would be alot more practical for every reason I've ever listed for it. For a saber system with as much depth as ours we should have more accessable ways of causing cool mishaps than just kicking all the time.

Well, there's already 3 ways...

1. Kicks

2. Attack Parries

3. Attack Fakes

6. Those ideas about adding dodge as a skill and how to make it balanced I had before I still think are good ones. I'll repost them if needed but right now I'm tired and going to bed. :p

mmm, I just have the feeling that a lack of body dodges is just going to piss people off. It might be an interesting experiment at some point but I don't think I have the time to deal with it before I retire. Simply put, body dodges are the only things preventing one shot kills for gunners. Remove them, and gunners are completely helpless (similar to standing still in midair while firing with the jetpack). If people really want to try it, they're welcome to set the bodydodge cvar and see what combat is like without the body dodges.

Yes I feel the same way, without dodge, there's going to be no way to duck incoming shots

Think about it, dodge doesn't necessarily have to be a jedi-only skill. Even Han - in the special edition of SW, where Greedo shoots first - has the ability to dodge

I think we might need to rethink the lack of saber block during stumbles. Since stumbles mainly come from kicks now, they occur far more often and it seems weird to have them not have saber block defence.

Yeah I agree, but it should still cost more to block in a stumble. I do still think the ground hits should cost a little more though. It will make Defense worth it.

I've thought about it for a while and I'm not sure how we could do the opposite side blocking without making it be a very specific hack. Maybe we should just not worry about it and focus on correcting issues with kick directly.

Why do you hate hacks so much! Its a game!!! I do them all the time!!! LOL. :p No but seriously, I think we should at least make the cost greater for blocking in a kick.

Eh? You mean the way parries used to automatically force players into stumbles?

Kinda, but the way UDM did it was using .0.0.7 with both people low on FP. And I'm talking more about the knockdown. We need to find a way to make that parrying animation cause a big knockdown like that more frequently. That was just too cool of a visual not to see more often.

Well, there's already 3 ways...

1. Kicks

2. Attack Parries

3. Attack Fakes

I'm actually talking about BIG mishaps like knockdowns,stumbles, and disarms. Disarms rarely happen because heavybounces arnt frequent enough or benefitial enough compared to knockdowns (which is another reason why my other idea is better), so everything big is primarily caused by kick or maxout.

Maybe we should just make it so that a person holding a gun can only dodge a saber once before getting killed or having to recharge?

Hmmm maybe Force Protect could be auto-enabled, when your DP is 0. When enemies shoot or smack you, you lose force points instead, but only and ONLY when your DP is 0

Pros of this idea:

- allows you more time to run away when the situation is looking bad

- good for defensive players who would die without the additional buffer of force points

Cons:

- can't think of any

On the issue of dodge, I think dodge should be a given to both mercs and Jedi. However, Jedi should receive like 100 dodge, while mercs only 50, since they'll be receiving all the cool nifty gadgets to help them obtain quick kills and quick escapes

Archived