Home

Darth_Torpid-PG Question & Answer Event

popcorn2008

To help Delphi out, I would be happy to answer a compiled and structured Q&A email if you guys put one together. Please try to keep it to 20 questions or less - I'm sure the other guys here kinda want me working on balance :)

It looks like our new friend and petroglyph developer, Darth_Torpid-PG, is giving us a chance to send him a pretty decent sized question and answer. Alright this is your chance as the fan base and community to ask a developer any questions you have pertaining to EaW. Post questions that you would like to see on the Q&A here and then later on probably Monday or Tuesday (depending on how many people post) we, the mods/admins will take a look at you guys questions and select the best 5 or so that we can find for the actual Q&A event.

So get your thinking caps on and come up with some good ones! :D

I don't know if any of these have been answered yet...

How will fog of war be applied to the game, both on land and in space?

How destructive will the environments be?

What songs will be included in the game?

Will units have certain advantages and disadvantages against each other like they did in Galactic Battlegrounds?

Will there be any clips from the movies in the game, and if so what is the total amount of footage?

If a planetary race, such as Geonosians, are allied with you, does this mean you control them like your own units?

Since this is technically a prequel to Dark Forces 2, will we get any backstory on Kyle Katarn?

Who is doing the voiceovers for some of the hero characters in the game?

Yep, I have quite a few questions, if I think of anything else I'll post it.

1: will there be hidden units ingame that can be unlucked (like you play out story campaign and unlock a unit for mp/skirmish?

2: are there plans/ talks at this point for expansions packs ?

3: will the weather elements and native species be key in conquering certain planets? and will weather be random or fixed on planets?

4: are sd's able to produce unlimited tie's or is there a limit on it for each battle (like you can only have 3 squads from one sd till one dies then you can reuse the build tie option for that sd)

5: a demo release date? :p

6: a officially updated unit-list

Why can only bombers and airspeeders fight in ground battles, and not X-wings, TIE Fighters, etc.?

How will neutral civilizations work exactly?

When the Death Star destroys a planet, is there a popular support system that can cause planets that don't support the destruction to rebel?

That's all that I can think of for now.

1) How does the Trench Run work, when destroying the death Star with Red Squad?

2) When Heros land on a planet to do you see them coming out of there hero Ship? eg Slave 1 lands and out comes Boba Fett?

3) Are you able to capture enermy hero units?

4) Is there any type of RPG element for the Heros to get there ablitys?

5) When in "Movie Cam" in space or land, are we able to follow a perticular ship/land unit? eg Slave 1?

I think that just about coves my questions so far

Thanks

Hehe, the guy just offered a kind suggestion to help his co-dev, he didn't meant that also. As we say "few counted words, because you never know..."; nice work popcorn ;)

Although the guys above have asked many interesting things, i'll add some here too. So, here i go:

1. Will the infiltrators be able to capture enemy ground vehicles? If no, what is their special ability?

2. Do the explosions of destructed objects/units -both in ground and space- affect the nearby area/units?

3. (and most important) What diplomacy features are we going to see? In relevance to a poll in this forum, are there: collection of info (with spies, locals, communication hacking), sabotages, assassinations, form up of alliances, trade blockades, "purchase" of loyalities (cause inter-faction problems/traitors).

Ok, i'm done, next one :)

1. Will there be random events in Campaign/GConquest/Multiplayer? Such as the Katana fleet being found by a smuggler so you have to race to get a fleet there before you opponent. Or a astroid crashing into a planetoid, random stuff like that? And will you be able to mod in new ones?

2. Will you be able to make new campaigns or change the old ones? If so then will it be possible to make triggers like you Kill Han Solo and you gain 1,000,000 credits and stuff like that?

3. Will there be any way to increase the pop cap on a space map with certain abilitys ect?

4. Will it be possible to set where your fleet runs after you tell it to retreat?

1: in multyplayer compagn, will players have pirate trouble, and if one player is dealing with pirates, will the other player have to wait for the first player to complete that mission? or do pirates only apear when 2 players are in combat with each other?

2: do you have to move your troop transports to a spasific location in space? or are they sitting ducks?

3: any chance of a reb vs reb battle?

4: can infintry be turned to the other team?

5: can rebels never have a higher tech then the empire?

6: can the empire steal vehicles or units?

7: whats the point of having 3 fleets in orbit? if some one has only 2 fleets, does that mean a third part of orbit is unpertected?

8: is there secrets or easter eggs in the game?

9: what units can both sides use from cantinas and merchent dock?

10. if 2 people want to play against each other, do they need to buy 2 cds?

Well this is a unique chance. Speaking with a developer of a game. Hm, might as well take it up.

1. Will the events on the Galactic Map be set into Real-time; or will they happen like in a turn-based type like in Rome: Total War?

2. Will there be units like assasins and spies, to steal technology and kill certain people? Maybe assasinating an officer can be something like a goal.

3. How will the weapon or damaging system work? Will the ammunition always hit the targeted unit no matter if they are moving; or will the ammunition hit the targeted units based on luck/accuracy like in Homeworld?

4. I don't mean to be rude but: Why wasn't the Homeworld system considered? It functioned very well and it was easy to use.

5. Will the scaling of fighters and ships be as realistic as possible (Mon Calamari Crusiers enormous, X-Wings only cover a half of the hangar door), or will they be created like that they are all sort of the same size?

Well those are my questions for now.

1. With the 2D planes in space battles, will the cap ships be able to move into a different plane to creater vertical formations? And, how will formations work in general?

2. Will the defender be able to call in reinforcements (not from the 10-unit slot) on the ground?

3. Will you be able to use natives and pirates as allies?

4. Is the scale actually adjustable? It was mentioned before, but no conformation was made.

5. Are ranges accurate? Can a group of ISDs satnd off and pummel the fleet while smaller units move in and split the enemy?

6. Does artillery have the range to stand behind a hill and hit enemys on the other side?

1.) Could you tell us more about natives or other speices? Benifits? what they do? etc.

2.) Could you explain more in-depth about the ground buildings and structures. What they do, benifits?, etc.

3.) Confusion on powers, could you go more into depth with the heroes powers and or special abilities? And use some heroes for examples, maybe some ones were not 100% sure about like Mon Mothma, Luke, Leia etc.

4.) How is the scaling going to work? Minor info was mentioned on it may be adjusted? Could you elaborate more on this?

5.) Possibly could you explain why you choose the timeline you did?

Edit: Added 2 new questions.

1) What is taking the demo so long to be released? Last month you said you just had to choose which maps to use? Did something happen or are you pllaning to release sooner to/at the release date?

2) What is the strategic depth? Is it the typical Brute Force Rock>Scissors>Paper, or the rarer, flat out, you make the victory through movement and such?

I have a quick modding question, yes or no answer...

Will it be possible to add MAJOR (playable) factions, equivalent in function to the Empire and Rebellion? I want to make a Twilight Imperium 3 mod, and there's 10 races in that board game... but before I get comitted I want to even know if it's possible.

I came up with a few more :p

How will lightsaber combat play out between characters such as Obi-Wan and Vader?

Will there be any unlockables?

Will there be ingame alerts, such as when your bases or armies are being attacked?

What will the multiplayer run off of? (MSN Gaming Zone, Gamespy, etc.)

Will there be any kind of registration for online play?

Will there be any kind of random events ingame?

1. Will there be different "ages" or tech levels in this game, such as in age of empires?

2. How will balance work? Is it "X counters Y" or a more subtile way?

3. Will there be "super units" that destroy anything in it's path and counters are to inefficent?

how will the damage system work? is it based on 'old rts style" like: 1 unit is good against another unit and has a weakness to another unit? or is it like lets say: soldiers heroes of ww2 where the damage is based on the 'ammo' type and the 'armor/shield' type?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1) How different are the Rebels and Emperials (sorry 4 bad spelling) like since the rebellion is just being built will the emperials be able to walk all over the rebels or can the rebels counter them quite well.

2) Can we capture planets in any pacticular order or do we have to go via specific routes.

3) Will multiplayer for EaW be restricted to game spy or will i be able to access server on places like Game Arena or is that Australia only?

4) Why did you choose game spy when people have had such bad experiences with it or was this call out of your duristriction.

5) Will soldiers be able to take cover behind debree ( will a strom tropper hide behind a tree and pop out from behind cover to take a shot)

6) how will cammoflage work with Storm Troopers. Like can i expect to see them where brown cammo when on a planet like Geonisis, Tatoinne, and Forest cammo on a planet like Endor, Yavin?

Thats all i can think off at this time... Thanks

Jason

I think were going to give everyone until Monday and then we'll start to form up the questions. It won't just be me but all the mods/admins that go through and will pick what we think are the best questions.

But yes, everyone you have until tommorow to get your questions here.

(!@#$!@#$!@ you popcorn.......not even a "negotiation".........)

(DelphiPG) -Can we limit to 20 questions because...?

(popcorn) -No, we ask 20 and you answer them all.

(DelphiPG) -But...

(popcorn) -What?? Personally i think there are quite few...not to mention that demo matter...

(DelphiPG) -But...

(popcorn) -No but! We sold out of but! Tomorow i'll mail you the questions. Night!

(me) Ah, at last a good moderator :clap2::clap2::clap2:

-----------

Anyway, just don't waste a question for the demo or release date ;)

Archived