Home

Revenge Of The Studio

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Having lack of internet access this weekend I thought I would make time to post this extremely interesting article by our friends over at empire-at-war.com which takes us back to the time EA decided to sack those who created the RTS genre and thought that they knew best.

Personally,I am not a fan of EA and with the release of their next boring RTS: Battle for Middle Earth 2, so close to the release of Empire At War, it seems that EA are running scared. That article captures the big push by EA to promote their next RTS, using the extremely old Generals engine - and how the Empire At War developers; Petroglyph are about to take their revenge and kick EA where it hurts

Post your thoughts and tell us why you will buy Empire at war or BFME2 or both!

DMUK

I will only spend my money for EaW.

I am a big SW-Fan (my nick speaks for himself). I like the LotR movies but not so much, that i will spend my money for an RTS-Game.

And when EaW is only 75% of the game everybody waits for, Petroglyph and LEC will kick EA where it hurts.

I actually am very interested in BFME2, though, being a Star Wars fan first and forever, Empire at War is at the top of my "most wanted list".

The article seems a tad self indulgent. It's obvious the writer holds EA in contempt, and so he will naturally judge their products harshly. Hardly an unbiased article, so it's legitimacy, in my eyes, is somewhat lessened. I personally don't have anything against EA, because they do make some great games.

I know I'm getting EAW for certain. BFME2 is certainly another contender for taking up space on my shelf.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I think the problem is the fact what EA did to Westwood and to many other developers that they have torn apart. Rightly so.

In the UK, the developer of the UKs most successful franchise split - leaving the publisher with the brand name and a totally new studio to create a game that has left a foul taste in everyones mouth and a damaged brand, whilst the original developers have gone on to huge sucess.

Can history repeat itself here? Theres no doubt EA will put their full marketing power behind BFME2, especially at retail level (if your company buys 100 million units, we will give you 30% off Fifa 2007 <<< example!) but only time will tell.

DMUK

I properbly be getting both depending....

Ive already pre ordered EAW, because it's about time we had another RTS Star Wars game set in the origranl time frame.

But im going to wait for the review of BfmE 2 b4 i buy it, because of how the first one turned out.

i wonder if this 'battle' is even in the minds of petro, and the article is not very objectively written ? sure ea dont have a good reputation but they also had some good games in their ranks.

I will probably buy both games bfme2 and empire at war cause i like lord of the rings and star wars. I dont doubt that empire at war will be better then bfme2 but that dont make bfme2 a bad game automaticly.

in my oppinion the article is pure EA bashing :s

Me, I am neither a SW or LOTR fan. I am a general Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan. I doubt that I will get BFME2 since I disliked the look of the original, don't particularly like Generals and it doesn't suit my RTS style. It looks different, but I would prefer a Fantasy TC for say Rome: TW.

EAW I will most likely buy, for 4 main reasons:

1. Mostly Developed by Ex-Westwood employees, and I loved C&C TS:F and RA2:YR

2. Hoping due to the above, it will be easily moddable (scenario editor may need to be thirdparty developed like FinalAlert or FinalSun like for C&C?)

3. Its Sci-Fi with space combat combined with land (sea?) and air, which is what I always wanted ever since a Dune game that would have done the same sunk when the developers went bankrupt :(

4. Graphics and gameplay look brilliant :D. (so far... :))

EA is an 800 pound gorrilla.

With sole rights to the NFL license, they can pretty much do whatever they want and remain profitable.

Perhaps, but to make the kind of games we gamers demand, you need an 800 pound gorilla. Look at Halo 2. $20,000,000+ production cost(yes, I realize console games are more expensive to develop). That's the nature of the industry. Companies with big money behind them are the ones who can make the high quality games.

That's an industry fact.

Personally im a big LoTR Freak, and a Star Wars Fan, and I likeed the first B4ME. I used to be a huge huge huge EA fan as well (Don't ask why), but now I totally completely 100% despise them. Petroglyph on the opther hand looks awesome. Now, being a major B4ME Community member, I got the BETA for free, and have played it a bit...it isnt very good when you play it the first 10 ish times, but after that it gets much much better....sorta getting used to the new features and all. Now its sorta moderately fun, and im waiting till the EaW demo till I make my final dcecision, However, EAw still looks far far far superior to B4ME2 and I will probly be getting it (but still maybe B4ME2 if I can convince my site leader to give it to me for free:P)

I was a huge Westwood fan, they made the best RTS games imaginable. But when EA split them up I was saddened, but now I am happy many of them and other great developers have returned as petroglyph. Im not liking EA right now... I may get BFME 2 it depends on its reviews. I didnt get the first one because I heard it was bad, so if this does a lot better i'll get it.

i actually do plan on getting bfme 2...they have made some major changes that are looking good. I hope they also release a demo because that usually really helps in making a decision. I never actually played a single westwood game so i have no comment on that except i hope they(petro) did a good job on this one :)

EA is like a whale. It just keeps eating things and gets larger. EA wants to completely dominate the game market. Right now they got NFL. I'll bet ya they'll get NBA, NHL, Fifa and other lisences soon enough. EA is going for the long run which I do not like at all. LA and Petro on the other hand are doing what they want to do and the turn out is a great game called EaW. When some ex-blizz programers left blizz and created Guild Wars. Look at the turn out. Just beautiful. I expect everything westwood was and everything westwood is now and I have complete faith that EaW will be one of the top 10 games of 2006.

i doubt that. The fact that EA has the NFL license is still being questioned by competitors. The united states has laws against monopolies, and this NFL license dealy could be considered a monopoly, as only EA can make NFL games with NFL teams, and thus there is no competition, and thus a monopoly. No doubt, we will see court cases over this, especially if EA tries it for other sports and categories.

I happen to be one of the few who liked the sega sports football games better then madden franchise of late. But now I have to hope and wait that some how EA's contract with the NFL is abolished, before I can play any other official licensed football game (college/pro for that matter).

Competition equals improvement for both sides...

When EA bought the rights to the NFL they basically threw in the towel to compete with sega. Why compete when you can just buy the rights. Sad thing is with no other official NFL game to push madden to get better, it won't. No one wins in the long run in this situation until EA is shown for what they have become.

Shame, I liked them alot better when they where called "Electronic Arts."

Well I am both a Star Wars and Lord of the Rings fan. I have played BFME1 and I agree with DMUK that it was not that great (boring and poor AI). Being a LOTR fan, however I have played it a lot because it was the only LOTR game that even looks remotely good. So I am going to get both BFME2 and Eaw. Naturally (since I am in the BFME2 beta) I know that EaW will be the better strategy game by far. :) Anyway if EA thinks they can compete with EaW they are wrong. BFME2 is much improved over the original, but from playing the beta (yes I know that isn't the full game) I feel that EaW will be the better strategy game. I will get both and will enjoy playing both.

EaW > Company of Hereos > BFME2

i doubt that. The fact that EA has the NFL license is still being questioned by competitors. The united states has laws against monopolies, and this NFL license dealy could be considered a monopoly, as only EA can make NFL games with NFL teams, and thus there is no competition, and thus a monopoly. No doubt, we will see court cases over this, especially if EA tries it for other sports and categories.

True to a point. The NFL is mutually owned, so the person at the top can make all the decisions and no one can say hoot about it (since the NFL is not a publicly-traded company, it plays by a different set of rules). A mutually owned company has the right to sell it's likeness and product to whomever it wants.

That's like saying you work for a paper-pushing business (let's just say an accounting firm), and your firm decides to do ALL it's purchasing from Staples only. Office Depot and Office Max can't sue you to MAKE you buy your supplies from them. You can buy them ALL from Staples if you want.

There is no *real* antitrust case here.

It's the line between traded companies and non-traded ones, and the rules that go along with each. The fact that the NFL is not traded is probably an advantage at this time.

EDIT: and might I add, this is a bad thing, since EA can shove out any piece of garbage and people will buy it, since it's the only thing out there.

Archived