Hero Deaths

Nevets1112

How do you feel about hero death?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about hero death?

• I think it should be in game
    • I think they should be able to come back
    • I think there should be an on/off button

This is an oldie but a goodie. (yes I know this has been asked on just about every EAW forum, but it has been awhile and we understand a little bit more about how heroes will work)

How do you feel about hero deaths?

Maybe this one can be sent to LEC or Petro like the Venator one. Not saying that non hero deaths should be taken out, just there should be an option to allow it in.

I know they have said it will be moddable, but it will just be a hassle if there are a couple of us online and we have to go through the process of editing the code when there could be a simple on/off button.

I personally think hero death should be in game. It adds to the strategy of the game. I think if you are careless with your heroes you shouldn't get them back till the next game (Its no big deal if you lose the character in one game, its part of the fun and makes sure not every game is the same with the same line up of heroes). They say that heroes in star wars always get out of tough situations, but I think one of the overal themes of star wars is that if you are to careless or too over confident you will die and I think this should be implemented in the game more.

I agree with the responsibility/good sense mode of play, voted for the on/off switch just because it makes everyone happy. Plus, some of the main characters included in the set, (Tarkin, anyone?) did get swept out of the script before the climax of the movies. Character death is a normal plot device cinematically and it should be normal for sound strategy planning, too.

I think they need to be respawned in campain just in case some idiot lets Vader or Luke get killed because there esential to the story. In multiplayer no because its one battle and a smaller map so you eont need them as much. And there should be a switch in galactic conquest so you can pick.

I think they need to be respawned in campain just in case some idiot lets Vader or Luke get killed because there esential to the story.

Yea but the point of the game is you are suppose to be able to change the story and history.

not follow it (sadly I think it will follow it a bit too much and not allow enough freedom to change it).

Yea but the point of the game is you are suppose to be able to change the story and history.

not follow it (sadly I think it will follow it a bit too much and not allow enough freedom to change it).

I think some change would be nice but Im hoping for a exspansion. so if vader dies in the campain then comes back in the next game it would be wierd.

And I think it will follow the story but thats what galactic conquest is for. You can conquer the galaxy with out the presets of the movies

I personally think there should be an on/off button. It should be your choice.

Sometimes I don't get it when you guys - you should do more research ... so ... do your homework!

Look here - I hope it helps you:

http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1056&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hero+deaths&start=75

For the few of you who want no respawn, you can just set the timers in XML to 9999999. Poof heroes do not return.

I understand you guys may not like the idea of heroes returning, but in our play sessions we just found it to be more fun. :)

I believe I added an option in multiplayer ....

Sometimes I don't get it when you guys - you should do more research ... so ... do your homework!

Look here - I hope it helps you:

http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1056&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hero+deaths&start=75

Sometimes you need to read the thread, I already mentioned this:

"I know they have said it will be moddable, but it will just be a hassle if there are a couple of us online and we have to go through the process of editing the code when there could be a simple on/off button."

Most people wont take the time or wont know how to mod a game like that. Everyone would know how to click on "On or Off"

While he says the option was added it doesn't necessarily mean it is in. We are just trying to reinforce the idea that there is enough of us out there that want this option.

On/off button for me, although -personally- i don't find it difficult edditing XML. Actually, if this option is on a separeta file, you can have an editted file and the original one and just copy & paste the editted one when needed (ie. in mp).

Yet, a simple-little-flashing-coloured button is always better :)

The problem is how will you be able to be sure that your mp opponent will also have the same editted XML as you and won't cheat you? You may oppose the objection that "the game won't run unless you have the same files", but this is wrong; the game will just scan the names of the game files, not their content. Just a simple example; in Mech Commander, you could edit (not officially...) that little-harmless helicopter to a deadly-moving flying fortress, carring tons of weaponary on it, extended line of sight (you could actually see the whole map with a special radar...), shielded, ultra-speed etc etc. Apply this "tactic" (cheating is the literal word) to all your units and the game is over within 1-2mins. So, a simple button saves you from a lot of fuss...

[off topic]

BTW! Relatively to an old thread about "infinite production of ties/stormies", well, guessing on how they made XML files, we can also disable this...

Archived