Home

Feedback Welcome

Hey guys!

We here at Petroglyph are very interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions after playing the demo. Remember that the demo is only a very small slice of Empire at War - there is much more in the final product that we didn't have room to show you in downloadable format. We will be watching all of the fan sites closely, and welcome you all to speak your mind (as long as you can keep it polite and constructive of course).

Also to that end, I have volunteered to do another QA like the last one, probably a week or two after the demo has had time to percolate a bit. So while you are playing, keep some questions in mind :)

Good luck with your downloads tomorrow, and we hope you have loads of fun!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted around the community, but going to post it here as well.

EaW First Impressions

Covers installation, first tutorial, and a few other things. Feel free to leave your thoughts at the TSW forums, or here. Will get to my review later this week with a complete overview.

-Xyvik

-EDIT PS: This was written this morning when the lucasfiles servers were down for at least 2 straight hours, hence my fleeting refence to the horrid state of the servers. I understand what a load this must have been and did not mean the comment as a total insult to the Lucas servers, but merely stating the truth of the moment.

Hey guys!

We here at Petroglyph are very interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions after playing the demo. Remember that the demo is only a very small slice of Empire at War - there is much more in the final product that we didn't have room to show you in downloadable format. We will be watching all of the fan sites closely, and welcome you all to speak your mind (as long as you can keep it polite and constructive of course).

Also to that end, I have volunteered to do another QA like the last one, probably a week or two after the demo has had time to percolate a bit. So while you are playing, keep some questions in mind :)

Good luck with your downloads tomorrow, and we hope you have loads of fun!

It is kind of hard to post feedback when barly any sites seem to work and have the demo or will download it fast and correctly. I'm downloading it now and its stuck on 9 minutes and i've been downloading it for 90 minutes, and now its stuck at 9 minutes...I'm very dissiapointed and wondered why you had to make the file so big? Also it isn't even on LucasFiles as said. Just wondering, thats my feedback....

I hope the AI is more aggressive in the fullversion. In the asteroid belt map it didn't even try to attack my transports eventhough they were unprotected. Also the AI didn't really know how counters work and used bombers against my fighters and not capital ships.

On Tatoinee the AI attacked only one of my control points and that's why it was very easy to defeat its forces. It should have attacked the other points as well because they had far less troops guarding them.

Other than that it's a good demo. I hope someone finds a way to get the AI to attack so we could try defending on Hoth.

Guest DarthMaulUK

It has been stated that the AI wont attack in the demo version, to give players a feel for the galactic map, and building forces - a good idea. I remember Cossacks, the demo was far too difficult, especially when you fell under attack within 3 minutes! So they had to redo the demo.

Demos are there to give you a feel of the game and by the sounds of it, this one does just that

DMUK

it's a shame that the demo galactic conquest mode is only 3 planets (had hoped 5 or 7) cause it gives you very little feeling of this mode.

Also to bad we cant play as imperials

In the tutorial missions the voice gets a bit annoying at times specially cause it really says each click you have to do maybe remove that part in the game and just have the buttons highlight?

the action cam has still some bugs to fix i think as i dident get a nice view of the battle but more shots of single crafts firing into space , no fighter chases, or zoomed out shots of the battle or such

The rest of the demo i loved although maybe its possible to make another demo where people can play the imperials and maybe put in skirmish or galactic conquest with 5 or 7 planets ;)

Horrid, for the sole fact that with its size and demand no website seems to transfer for any good rate for very long, also for the fact that most of the downloads i have try'd have froze up or disconected sometime. and i would have to start all over again

Have you tried filecloud.

http://filecloud.com/files/file.php?file_id=2753

According to people on gamingforums.com it currently has the best transfer rate.

i downloaded the Demo once, but it didnt open for 20 min's. I am downloading it again now, with 30 min's left. Hope you guys have that answer becouse iv talked to another 20-30 people and they say the same thing: that the demo will not open. Also, you can only be rebs??? and theres only 3 planetes?? i would have thought there was alot more. Hope you guys come out with a demo with more planets and the ability to be the Imperials. That would be the best!!!

Public Service Announcement (or whatever you want to call it): Please Keep Comments to the Demo only and not the File download/server situation. There are enough threads that have been spammed with comments about it. Any other posts after this about it shall be deleted.

Thank you.

a few other remarks

1: the moving units to other planets is a bit to fast imho

2: the creating units goes to fast

3: it also dont seem to matter if its a fighter you make or a frigate all are the

same time?

4: do smugglers automaticly showup on a planet finance report? seems a bit to easy

to find smugglers and kill em just look at all your planets finance reports and send

a bounty hunter

5: none of the tutorials explained how to move the camera around, rotate,

focus , etc... Maybe a good idea to put that in?

6: i find it kinda weird when you shoot a ship and it has nothing in the hull bar left that it dont explode cause you still have to shoot every hardpoint

dunno if its ment to be like this or if its a bug or something

the good points :)

1: the ai seems to be very good , specially ground combat proved great!

2: graphics are superb the weather effects are great (had a sandstorm destroy some of my units when i dident pay attention OUCH! )

3: great starwars feeling to the game !!!

4: it's very different from most rts games i played wich makes the game very interesting seems like a lot of strategy on wich units to take to battle will be needed :)

5: the demo runs great i noticed no slowdowns, or crashes even with full details on (pc = p4 3.2ghz 1gb ddr400, 6800gt nvidia)

I have been playing the demo all day and I must say its great. The boys/girls at petro did a great job. Now, on to the suggestions,

The zoom needs to be worked on a bit. When right at the ground its fine, the next level up is ok for detail but you can't see much of the map but when you go up one more level your too far above and when you go down your too close, needs to be moved just a bit so you can still see detail but have a larger view of the map. I can live with it as it is but a small adjustment would be better.

When building things on pads, the troops that are doing the building should move to the pad and the more troops the faster it should be completed. I am not yet sure if I like the static pads on the maps, once you know where they are it limits your stratagy since the enemy also knows where to find them. I will need to play the full version to see whether I like them or not. The demo doesn't give you a feel for them since there is just the one map.

The cinimatic camera is nice but It doesn't always follow the action. You should be able to select a unit and follow it.

I am sure that since they made the demo they may have tweaked a few things so I will wait until the retail version comes out before going too in depth.

Overall , its a great looking and playing game, can't wait until the 16th of February so I can play the full version.

*raises glass*

Well done Petroglyph, you should be very proud of yourselves

Disregard my comment on the cinimatic camera, just found out that the "C" key changes the view and you can move the mouse to adjust the angle. Its perfect as it is.

I should point out a few things, since it seems they are coming up a lot:

1) The Demo is actually from early last month's build, so a lot has been fixed/added/balanced since that time.

2) The build times and galactic fleet movement speeds have been radically sped up for the demo and do not reflect the actual build/travel times in the final game.

3) I thought that camera controls were covered in the tutorial, so it is possible that that particular tutorial didn't get into the demo (I didn't work on the demo or the tutorial, so I can't say for sure).

4) The galactic AI has been almost entirely turned off for the demo - it will be much more agressive in the final game.

Again, thanks for all the comments - all of us here are following it closely :D

one thing (that i've heard, i'm currently downloading) that i have issue with is the lack of imperial presence in the demo. i had hoped to try out the imperial side, but i understand that due to size concerns that this could not be accomplished. just makes me hunger for the real deal all the more :)

I really enjoyed playing it to the end and i can't actually make any complaints, bearing in mind the points you just made (Torpid). when we get the full version with all elements being as they should, i can see myself losing many hours to this game. well...not losing...*giving* :)

the controls are obviously very standard for the genre, which makes it easy as pie to get in to. it feels to me, on first impression, like the game that we all expected 'Force Commander' to be, mixed with the way 'Rebellion/Supremacy' should have turned out. which to be honest, is exactly what i always wanted. add to that all the other stuff that this baby will add into the bargain, and i think Petro have made a pretty good game :)

Roll on the UK release ;)

robotsonic

one thing (that i've heard, i'm currently downloading) that i have issue with is the lack of imperial presence in the demo. i had hoped to try out the imperial side, but i understand that due to size concerns that this could not be accomplished. just makes me hunger for the real deal all the more :)

you do get to play Imperial, all be it ever-so briefly. you're right though, it just makes you want it more.

Thanks devs for letting us give feedback in this manner.

Ground:

General-I dont quite know what to make of it ATM. It may have to do with the AI being off or whatever but it didn't seem engaging. There needs to be some balancing, especially with the speeders.

Speeders-The speeders move fast, stay stationary and shoot at 1 unit at a time, and take virtually no damage. I found this to not only be boring but contrary to the movies! They go around in circles to avoid being hit and to make rounds, they didnt' seem to stay still otherwise they are sitting ducks!

Troop combat- Grouping felt ok, I wish you could group units in more than 1 group: eg if I wanted to group speeders in group 1 the group everything I have as group 2 and be able to switch back and forth. The combat itself was odd, I wish the blaster shots were less accurate though! Seems as though they were always 100% accurate and that it took a certain number of shots to take out a unit. It may be more fun, among other things, to have them miss more but increase the damage done per shot. Maybe 2 or 3 hits per kill but like 5 misses for every hit or something. Give it some variation!

Galaxy stuff: I liked the simplicity of defence/offense with planets. Fleets first then ground then capture, much like rebellion. Again without AI though, I cannot say how fun or interesting it will be. As the demo stands with no ai, it was boring because nothing happened. Will the comps attack whenever they please? Then there would exist some urgency that was utterly lacking in the demo. Ship combat seems ok, although I do not like the size of the units as compared to the capital ships. Stardestroyers, frigates, etc.. should appear far larger or should be bigger on the battlefield. Xwings seem to group up too much. Additionally, it seems attacking the specific parts of a ship (shields, guns, etc...) was not worth it as by the time you took it out you already damage the ship significantly.

Overall-

I think this demo shows a great start and most likely a solid product. It should be the next episode in the Rebelion franchise though, as that is what it most closely resembles.

I think you are doing too much, though. You have ship v ship combat, simplified, like startrek armada but without any RTS elements such as structures. Ground combat is simplified, to a greater extent than say lotr: battle for middle earth, which detracts from it as an RTS game.

Its as though you are doing way too much and as a result each part is too simple. As the demo shows us, they indeed are simple. What it doesnt show us is how this all turns out in the final product. If the overall GREATER strategy is the aim of the game, the lesser details can be cast aside. I hope you guys release an AI update, or a patch to the demo showing off these features of AI and strategy before the game is out, otherwise I see people "picking this up" just to play it a little while, not as a game purchased for real multiplayer play.

i was disapointed in graphics. I turned it to the max. Can someone tell me is it like in black and white it sets the textures for you. I mean if i have a bad video card for example, will i be able to set graphics detail to maximum or not; or will it just say the detail is at max, but really it wont be. Please help!

Archived