Home

KotOR In Widescreen?!?

Det. Bart Lasiter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks very interesting jmac :thumbsup:

I'm in the middle of a modding project at the moment, and my editing creed is to "never install or upgrade when in the middle of a project" still holds true.. especially since this adjusts .dlls and .exe's ;)

BUT after I'm done, I'll definitely have to give this a try...

Great find! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The program is under the GPL, and, as such, has no warranty or tech support. If you can't play the game with it patched, then I guess you'll have to unpatch it :(

However, if you're playing KotOR 2, then you also must edit your swkotor2.ini file to reflect the new resolution.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this will work if you've patched your TSL game (the Official patch). Seems there are others having problems with it too... (darn it all)...

You have to run TSL on a "clean" install (meaning no patches) for the UniWS prog to work. However, there's supposed to be support for 1280x768 resolution just by tweaking the .ini, but I haven't gotten that to work either :fist:

• 1 year later...

It looks like widescreen for KOTOR1 & 2 is iffy at best. Yet one more reason that once I finally upgrade to a flatpanel monitor, I'll specifically get a non-WS model. I play far too many older games for me to go WS. I just hope that they continue to make non-WS monitors.

• 4 weeks later...

UNIWS seems to work extremely well for TSL (once you figure out what needs to be corrected in swkotor2.ini). I actually found it myself by searching before I thought to check here for a widescreen fix, but it's good to see positive corroboration ;)

So props to jmac for posting it.

And Ecthelion: it's unimaginably beautiful in all its widescreen glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Its true man, it looks great! But I do have a slight problem....my party indicator/switcher usually on the bottom...right? I believe... is not there! Along with the bar that has your medpacks and other stuff. If anyone knows a way to fix this, much would be appreciated :]

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, I don't believe this will work if you've patched your TSL game (the Official patch). Seems there are others having problems with it too... (darn it all)...

You have to run TSL on a "clean" install (meaning no patches) for the UniWS prog to work. However, there's supposed to be support for 1280x768 resolution just by tweaking the .ini, but I haven't gotten that to work either :fist:

It works nearly perfectly with KotOR 1.:)

I couldn't get it to work with a patched TSL, though.:(

UniWS won't work with 1.0b, however you can get 1280x768 just by editing the .ini (ala ChAiNz.2da post above). Don't forget to change the resolution in both places though ([Display Options] as well as [Graphics Options]), or else it won't work.

I hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

^^^

Unfortunately, I've already tried this and it does not work. About a third of the right side of the screen is cut off when I attempt to do this. 1280x960 and 1280x1024 do work, however. This probably has something to do with my monitor automatically compensating for lower resolutions (aren't most widescreen monitors able to do this?), but I don't understand why it won't "stretch" 1280x768 like it can 1280x960 and 1280x1024. I would think that 1280x768 would be preferable since it's already a widescreen resolution, and the proportions would remain the same after stretching to 1680x1050.

It's really not that big of a deal, though, because my monitor does a decent job of stretching 1280x960 to 1680x1050 without the patch. It just doesn't look as pretty as KotOR1 does with the patch.

^^^

This is just an educated guess, but it's probably just the differences in the firmware of our respective monitors, and how that firmware stretches lower resolutions.

Nice, kick-ass monitor, BTW. :) Mine's just a cheap Acer 22" TN (6 bit) panel that I got for ~$200.00, but I'm quite happy with it.

^^^

This is just an educated guess, but it's probably just the differences in the firmware of our respective monitors, and how that firmware stretches lower resolutions.

hehe...sounds good to me :)

Nice, kick-ass monitor, BTW. :) Mine's just a cheap Acer 22" TN (6 bit) panel that I got for ~$200.00, but I'm quite happy with it.
Hey thanks! I would have gotten the 22" or 24", but it was 3-5 weeks before shipping. The 30" was available next-day so I went with that instead. It's hard sitting down in front of a 4:3 19" at the office now :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1680x1050 works, at least for me, for both games. For KotOR 1, use the 1280x1024 patch, as it'll put the UI as close to a normal place as possible. For TSL...I *did* figure out a way to get it to work with 1.0b, but I'm not 100% sure I can mention it here. I didn't hack anything, and what I did is completely legal since I do own the game, but still...I ain't getting banned for it. lol But it *can* work. Only problem is the UI still looks huge, but if memory serves me right, it does that at all resolutuions in TSL anyways...

What resolutions are widescreen?

I use 1440 x 900, 1360 x 768 should work as well. There are others but I normally use one of those.

Also, for some (edit: obvious) reason the 1280 x 960 and 1280 x 1024 patch had the UI go below the edge of the screen for me, so I used the 1024 x 768 one instead. Now the UI icons are closer to the middle, but at least it's possible to use them.

EDIT: I ran it in 1360 x 768 and now it looks very much as it should. I wonder why there isn't a 1152 x 864 or 1280 x 900 interface version so I could use the 1440 x 900 resolution properly.

EDIT #2: Eh, now I can't see the conversation choices. Oh well.

I got lucky; conversations are completely visual, and the bottom part of the UI isn't in them iddle of the screen (it actually sits about 20 px from the bottom :D

Yeah, I believe that if my laptop's monitor supported the 1680 x 1050 resolution there wouldn't be too many problems (1440 x 900 is the max res for me). Well, as it is, I guess I won't mind having the UI's bottom part close to the middle of the screen as long as the conversations work properly...

Still, this is a big improvement to playing the game on the 1024 x 768 resolution.

• 1 month later...

For those of you playing KotOR in widescreen, a fine gent named Malakaius released a GUI hack for 1440x900 not too long ago.

When running UniWS, select the 1280x960 option from the drop-down and enter 1440x900 for the resolution. Then download this file and extract it to your Override folder. KotOR will once again look awesome in WS. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
It looks like widescreen for KOTOR1 & 2 is iffy at best. Yet one more reason that once I finally upgrade to a flatpanel monitor, I'll specifically get a non-WS model. I play far too many older games for me to go WS. I just hope that they continue to make non-WS monitors.

Most widescreens have the ability to display in 4:3 view with black bars on the sides of the screen (like a widescreen movie has on top and bottom on a 4:3 TV). mine does at least, just check the specs on whatever widescreen monitor you might purchase...

Archived