Home

KotOR In Widescreen?!?

Det. Bart Lasiter

I just posted a thread about it here, but I have created fixed HUDs and menu backgrounds for all the common widescreen resolutions at which KOTOR is able to run.

Get them here.

It's described in the link above, but for people like Richard Blaze who have lower resolutions screens where the game either crashes or has missing conversation text, I suggest using video card drivers to setup a custom resolution higher than your display actually supports, and the turning on video card scaling. Run the game at that higher resolution and it will be downscaled to your native resolution, allowing you to play the game ok. Since your downscaling and not upscaling, the blurring is minimal.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so the TSLRP is on its way and by now most of us will have widescreen but we still have no definitive widescreen patch for tsl, unwins with kotor 1 works fine but is crap with tsl, hell it doesn't even work for me when i unpatch the game and reinstall, ive tried the ini file as well and that done zero.

Can any one tell my what the hell all this is about ? http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12985

this looks like a good bet but who actually understands it ? he explains the procedure for 1920 res but what about 1440 900? iam at a loss, can anyone help me ?

UNiWS worked fine for my KOTOR 1 installation, but it keeps giving me an error that it cant complete the patch on my TSL. I have not updated it yet, since that was supposed to cause problems. It keeps telling me to close other programs but I only have the UNIWS program running.

Also, cant seem to edit the .INI file because it thinks that its not there when I go to save it(Can't find the path and doesnt offer to create me a new one.)

Edit: OK, changed the INI to 1280 x 768 and now I suffer from the too much of my screen is cut off to the right problem. Argh!

BINGO! you have exactly the same error message as me, says something about "close other running programs" i take it your running vista huh?

But i can help you with something- to edit the ini file for example enablecheats=1 simply drag and drop the ini file to your desktop screen, alter and save, then drag and drop back ! then run the game as administrator- hey presto !

but anyway getting back on topic can anyone help with this kotor 2 wide screen world wide epidemic PLEASE.

EDIT:

Hi, following on the widescreen probs iam having trouble with ini files they arnt whats described in other threads, ive installed a fresh copy of tsl and fully patched it, my sw.ini file is bellow (note there's no display options) nor is there any in the other config file the two files iam talking about are "swplayer configuration settings" and "swkotor2 configuration settings" can anyone help please

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=1

Anisotropy=16

Frame Buffer=1

Anti Aliasing=8

Texture Quality=2

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=1

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

RefreshRate=60

Height=900

Width=1440

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=0

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=0

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

[Autopause Options]

End Of Combat Round=0

Mine Sighted=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie10=0

Movie 9=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 5=0

Movie 4=0

Movie 3=0

Movie 2=0

Movie 1=0

Movie 0=0

Run the game and from the load screen (where you choose from "New Game," "Load Game," etc) select "Options," then "Graphics," choose the "1280x960" option under "Resolution" and then exit the game. "Display Options" should then appear in the "swkotor2.ini" file. You can then change it to your required resolution, which in your case is 1440x900.

• 2 years later...

ok, I found this 'walkthrough' for getting TSL to work in widescreen. worked fine for me, you need a no-cd exe and a hex-editor, however. the problem is, that UniWS does only part of the job on the TSL-exe:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

I encountered a minor problem however: Everytime a cutscene-movie plays, the game throws me back to the Windows desktop. The game is still running, so I can just tab back in and it's no big deal, but a little annoying anyways.

Anybody had that too and found a solution?

I'm running TSL 1.0b with RCM 1.7 on Windows 7 Ultimate btw.

• 1 year later...

I'm having trouble to change my kotor resolution to my notebook 1366x768. I biught it from steam and it's already in 1.03, but in uniws i can't change the resolution options and patch (they're greued out). And when i apply a 1.03 patch i downloaded, i can change resolution on uniws, but can't start the game, it ask me for the CD...

Please help me!!

The Steam version is already patched, so patching it messed up your game and you'll need to reinstall it.

As far as resolution is concerned, 1366x768 is unplayable. I'm pretty sure that the closest you'll get is 1281x769.

There is little utility on the Widescreen Gaming Forum that will do all of this automatically to a freshly-installed game. I can't say for certain whether or not it's compatible with the Steam version, but it should be. However, the Widescreen Gaming Forum is migrating to another site and is down for the moment. That utility would be worth waiting for because all you have to do is run it, enter your custom resolution and it does the rest, including fixing the HUD and UI files.

But why uniws doesn't work? I reinstalled and i can't change resolution and patch, they're greyed out. uniws doesn't work with steam version?

Apparently it doesn't. UniWS is very old and hasn't been worked on in years.

Can you post a link with this other program or it isn't available yet?

I can't give you a link right now because, as I said, WSGF is down.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've found a utility called Flawless Widescreen that automatically makes KotOR work at 1366x768 (and presumably any widescreen resolution). (@Q: Is this the utility you mentioned before?)

Here's a description copy/pasted from a post I made in another thread:

This program is awesome. It's made for making games run properly at "super-widescreen resolutions", but It works for 1366x768 as well (and presumable any other widescreen resolution). It has a specially made plugin for KotOR, that automatically makes the game run at your desired resolution, while dynamically creating properly scaled menu backgrounds and HUD item placements. Movies are scaled properly, and most impressively, *dialogue is displayed correctly*. It does all this through memory manipulation, so there's no need to patch the game's exe like with UniWS (this also means that it works fine with the Steam version of the game, i.e. no need for cracks). You don't even need to do any swkotor.ini editing - FWS does it all for you.

So here's how to do it:

tl;dr: Install Flawless Widescreen + KotOR plugin; run KotOR with FWS in the background; change resolution in-game to 1366x768; play.

Full steps:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
1. Obtain Flawless Widescreen

2. Extract the archive to its own folder

3. Run the program (confirm Windows UAC)

4. You will be greeted with a splash screen asking if you want to change any settings. You don't need to do this, so click "No" (or click "Yes" if you want to see the settings. But don't change anything in there)

5. In the list found on the left side of the program window, find the entry "Star Wars: KOTOR"; click on it

6. Flawless Widescreen will now download and activate its KotOR plugin.

7. Now, on the information pane on the right, you'll see that FWS requires you to have run the game at least once before using FWS. Make sure you've done that.

8. With FWS running, run KotOR like you normally do.

9. Go into the options and change the screen resolution to the new options of 1366x768

10. You'll see that scaled menu backgrounds have been created, but they're not quite right. Ignore it for now.

11. Load up a saved game/start a new one. Holy Mother of Resolutions! The GUI is perfect! Dialogue works!

12. Close the game and start it again. On my setup, I get an appcrash if I start KotOR too soon after closing it, so wait a few seconds if you have to.

13. The menu backgrounds are properly done now. KotOR is now officially working perfectly @ 1366x768.

Here are some screenshots demonstrating it working:

picture.php?albumid=271&pictureid=9513

picture.php?albumid=271&pictureid=9512

FWS's developers deserve a medal. They've provided a solution to a problem that's being plaguing laptop KotOR users for years. If I wasn't a broke university student, I'd donate these guys some money right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just found this and thought it might be worth sharing. Confirmed that it will work with TSL ini-hacked to 1280x768 (and look pretty spiffy doing it).

EDIT: for clarity - you don't need the steam version or uniws in order for it to work.

Whoa.

I'd given up hope of ever seeing a mod that would fix TSL's fugly, screen-hogging HUD. :thmbup1:

EDIT: Tried it, and, while it looks great, the buttons on the lower left HUD have some serious problems. :( The icons on the mines and saber/force forms buttons are out of place and the tool tips do not pop up correctly on any of them.

I have no doubt that both of these issues are fixable, and I hope that Alien continues to work on this very worthwhile mod.

• 3 weeks later...

How to fix:

1) Open Alien's version of mipc28x6_p.gui with tk102's KGFF tool (do not use GFFEditor. It breaks other parts of gui)

2) Expand Controls and count down 12 entries.

3) Expand and confirm that the Tag (toward the bottom) is LBL_ACTION5

4) Expand EXTENT

5) Change TOP to 559

6) Repeat steps 2-5, counting down 47 entries to modify LBL_ACTION3

7) Save to Override

Note that the description window will still frustrate any attempt to use the down arrow for combat mode action button, but up works fine and I may or may not try to tackle this later.

EDIT:

16 down. LBL_ACTIONDESC. LEFT = 4, TOP = 525, WIDTH = 140. Perfection.

Archived