Home

How many do you count?

ShadowTemplar

Well Isuppose they don't KNOW, but the calls took longer than normal to connect, and were preceeded by an unusual clicking noise that had never happened before. I suppose it could've just been phone company issues :dozey:

Well that's lame. How is the program supposed to work if people know they're being listened in on? What terrorist would continue to use a number that they know is tapped?

*Sigh*

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the latest column at I, Cringely

This is far from the first instance of such unartful phone tapping, as my friend Mike Class reports from Chicago. Though I didn't know it until we'd been e-mailing back and forth for years, Mike is the Socius to the Provincial -- effectively the number two Jesuit in the Windy City:

"Here's one more tidbit on wire-taps: They get you free phone service! The feds tapped the phone of the Sisters of Mercy in Washington D.C. because of some anti-war stance or something they took in the 1980s. The good sisters noticed some kind of clicking on the phone at times, and finally decided that someone must have tapped into their phone. Their solution: Don't pay the bill so the phone company will have to shut off the phone. The phone never went dead, and they quit sending them bills! The Feds wouldn't let Ma Bell shut them down, and probably began paying the bills. The sisters talked long and free with their friends across the country!"

:joy:

Archived