Home

Problem with single player mission demo? (buggy demo-asteroids section possible?)

Rha

In the single player mission I have a problem destroying the space station in the asteroid field.

It appears that 2 hard points disappear on me and the only way I can target them is to view another close by at a different angle so they overlap.

The hard points are the “HANGER” and “SUPPLY DEPOT.”

When I have these hard points targeted by my ships however they take very little or no dmg. I even let it run for about 15 minutes and still couldn't destroy them.

Is there something I am missing or is this a bug that only I am having.

Any tips thx.........

Try moving your ships to a better firing position or perhaps closer to the station

It isn't that easy. It's a bug, of witch I really don't know how to get rid of.

At first, everything is normal, I can attack the station and it starts to go down quite fast, but when the health is half-way gone, the hard points dissappear, and the station isn't targetable anymore, like it wasn't there. My ships continue attacking it and will do that forever on, because it is not destroyable anymore (tried waiting half an hour, and nothing).

The ships seem to fire through it, again, the station like isn't there anymore, but at the same time is, because it keeps churning out Ties.

Weird. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Try moving your ships to a better firing position or perhaps closer to the station

did you try re-installing the demo?

did you try on a different difficulty level?

I tried all these things several times before I posted. I have even tried different numbers of different types of ships. Once I target the hard to target points they never go down and if I don't the ones that I can target are destroyed they other ones disappear.

Have you tried targetting the Hangar / Supply dock first? I suppose one "get around" for this would be to install one of the mods for the Demo, specifically the one that changes space battles - this way there won't be a space station, and you can beat the scenario and move onto a land battle.

Ah ha! You have the same problem I have. So far nobody has suggested a solution that works. It must be a bug in the demo. So people that are getting past it... explain!

Zooming in won't let you target them at all because they are out of your view, period! They only appear when you target other hard points. So you can't actually target them... unless there's some way to "Rotate" your view, not just zoom in and out.

don't know kurgan.....

i've played the demo about a dozen times.....with and without the mods

i've not encounterd this problem. sometimes i have found it overlapping, but if i zoom in and move the target cursor around, i am eventually able to target it.

sorry, but it hasn't been a problem for me

i do have all the graphics turned up to half, not the demo preset, and my screen resolution is set at 1280 x 1024

Okay I found out the solution (sort of).

Hold the right control key, while also holding the middle mouse (mouse wheel button on my logitech optical) while moving the mouse to the sides or up and down. This lets you "rotate."

Right Control+MiddleMouseWheel (hold both) + move mouse = view rotation

I can target the Supply Dock and all those other stupid points that otherwise disappear. So I rotated around to the back of the station, targetted the supply dock. Got it down to 2% and kept pounding away (note: this is after destroying ONLY the shield generator on the station beforehand, and of course wiping out the capital ships)... FATAL EXCEPTION OCCURED. EaW.exe is shut down...

LOL! So how on earth are people beating this demo?? Okay, I give up for tonight. If anybody else has any ideas, let me know. ;)

So I'm assuming if you destroy all the hard points on the "front" then the back ones disappear. If you destroy the back ones first, the game crashes, or at least if you do the Supply dock first. Perhaps there is an order you can destroy them in that prevents a crash or half of them turning invisible. Heh

... ...I suppose one "get around" for this would be to install one of the mods for the Demo, specifically the one that changes space battles - this way there won't be a space station... ...

Would you be so kind as to point out where to find that mod? If it really exists, it would make my day.

Okay I found out the solution (sort of).

Hold the right control key, while also holding the middle mouse (mouse wheel button on my logitech optical) while moving the mouse to the sides or up and down. This lets you "rotate."

Right Control+MiddleMouseWheel (hold both) + move mouse = view rotation

I can target the Supply Dock and all those other stupid points that otherwise disappear. So I rotated around to the back of the station, targetted the supply dock. Got it down to 2% and kept pounding away (note: this is after destroying ONLY the shield generator on the station beforehand, and of course wiping out the capital ships)... FATAL EXCEPTION OCCURED. EaW.exe is shut down...

LOL! So how on earth are people beating this demo?? Okay, I give up for tonight. If anybody else has any ideas, let me know. ;)

So I'm assuming if you destroy all the hard points on the "front" then the back ones disappear. If you destroy the back ones first, the game crashes, or at least if you do the Supply dock first. Perhaps there is an order you can destroy them in that prevents a crash or half of them turning invisible. Heh

I worked with your idea a bit took out the Shields, Supple Depo, and then the Hanger in that order. It looks like if anything else gets distroyed before thoughs it's not going to work.

After paying around with some of the mods it loooks like the "no targetable hard point" thing isn't just stations, but some ships seem to have the problem randomly also.

Okay I tested out "Bryant's Mod" and got to play around with some of the new ships (though I couldn't figure out how to actually Fight the death star, I just kept fighting the same planet over and over again where the DS was parked, but maybe there's just no real way to do so in the demo, even with cheats like this).

The trouble is, you have to avoid ANY planet with a starbase, because they're ALL like that in terms of the bug! Any space station will manifest the bug... very frustrating.

Also, I'm not sure if it's part of the mod or what, but those tarton (sp?) transports are UBER. Basically only one out of every 10 turbolasers seems to even hit them (most go clean through their ships, but their shots hit you!). So it takes an entire fleet about 5 minutes to eliminate a pair of them! You can try bombarding the area with the Maurader (sp?) ships, which works against the "uber" Imperial shuttle (shots go through that one too!) but these transports move too quickly for the explosions to do much damage. You can't even TARGET them, you have to instead have your ships use "move attack" to hit the area they are occupying. Insane...

Anyway, I'll try the order you suggested. I'll send the Falcon to do surgical strikes on the 1) Shields, then 2) Supply Depot, then 3) Hangar, then 4) the rest of the targets and see how that works. Annoying way to have to do it, but I'm willing to try any workaround just to get through this demo! ;P

As for targetting the station itself, yes, I thought of that. Once the hard points disappear, you can no longer target the station. Your attack crosshair turns yellow, meaning you can from then on only target TIE's, nothing on the station, period...

you can delete the star base using chriz mod

its in compains_singleplayer.xml

<!--***************DEMO CAMPAIGN***************************-->

<!-- VERGESSO ASTEROIDS -->

<!-- Empire Space Forces -->

<Starting_Forces> Empire, VergessoAsteroids, Empire_Star_Base_1 </Starting_Forces>

Okay what you guys suggested worked. I took the Falcon in Solo (pun intended) and took out:

1) Shield Generator

2) Supply Depot

3) Went crazy and sent the rest of the fleet to target the hangar. Put it into cinema mode and watched the fun.

4) VICTOLY!!!

The trick seems also to be that you have to zoom out maximum looking at almost the top of the structure. Put it in normal mode (not fast mode.. for some reason it seems the targets disappear faster there), and move it from the edge of a nearby hardpoint quickly to the one you need. Really stupid way to do it, but oh well...

I finally made it to Tatooine!

No wonder the Empire didn't care about that planet in the movies... heh. Seriously though, they were clever to remove the ability to save your game. I just don't have the patience to strategize properly and win this one in one sitting. Obviously you have to manage everything really well, because you can't bring in your transports with everything you need, you're really spread out, while they're all clustered together under a nice shield. Somehow you can capture bulidings and vehicles, but I could never get that to work, so I gave up.

Interesting demo, but it needs some fixes, hopefully they remember that when the real game goes to press!

PS: I built my fleet up so big with the mod that it was causing my system to crash from the heat. I have since cooled my computer down and just switched to the "normal" demo (no extra XML files or anything) to see what I could do. But I think for now if I play anymore it will be with mods just so I can skip the boring parts, like anything with a space station. ;P

As for Chriz's mod 4, I kind of wanted to avoid using any hacked EXE's if at all possible...

Archived