Home

Slow ground battles, responsive controls?

Master Nikolaos

Hello, I've been playing the game, and space battles run fine and at a normal speed on full settings. However, when I play a ground battle, no matter what the settings, the game plays slow, but it doesn't seem like lag(all sounds sound fine, controls are responsive,etc). It seems as if the game was running in slow motion. I tried to change the speed settings in options, but that didn't change anything. Any ideas?

same here

These are my specs:

Processor Intel Celeron (0.18u) 2602MHz

Display Card Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME

Memory 384MB

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP

Free Disk Space 12.09GB

Display Card Memory 64MB

Display Driver Version 6.14.10.4396

DirectX Version 9.0c

Optical Drive CD/DVD

Sound Card SigmaTel Audio

Strange, moving the settings around doesn't really change anything. The ground battles still run in slow motion. I think it might just be a demo issue with my PC, although I have to accept my processor is pretty old(AMD Atlhon Thunderbird 1.2Ghz).

Even then, the other side of the force in my computer has a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb and 512 RAM , and I close every single background task I can on my computer using task manager(it helps A LOT in other games like Battlefield 2 which runs pretty reasonably with almost no lag in 16 player games on medium settings and high lighting etc)

The problem most likely deals with your processor, Nikolas, I've noticed this issue as well, I've reasoned that space combat runs alot better because it has less assets and processor intensive operations to run -- in a ground battle, the game not only accounts for your units and the enemy's, but the neutral parties, and the terrain (sandstorms, etc.).

The good news is you may be able to squeeze some more juice out of your processor by setting EaW as a high priority process. If you're on XP, to do this, when you're in task manager, look for "eaw.exe" (or something similair to that -- it'll be the program with the most occupied memory), right click on it, and change it's priority to "high". This will divert more attention from the processor to the game, and may help remedy your situation.

A word of caution, however, be very careful about tweaking the priority settings of programs, because if you run too many programs while eaw is set to high priority you may very well overtax your cpu and cause a lock up.

Also, whatever you do, do not set the game as a realtime priority process, this WILL lock up your system.

Lastly, after you've boosted eaw's priority to high, you should run the autodetect feature that EaW has for it's settings and play off of those. EaW's autodetect feature is fairly good at discerning reasonable settings for your computer to play the game in.

Hope that helps!

-- Vyraeth

Well, I have tried setting game's priority levels before, and it works well for some but not all. When I tried it with EaW, the land battle speed improved a little bit, but the space battles slowed down(weird). When I go to autodetect, the game sets ALL my settigns to low. This may surprice you, but setting the game on higher settings usually results in faster gameplay for me, specially when I deselect ver.sync and bloom/"nice shadows" effects.

BTW TIE_Snake, I also followed the performance guide on BF2, you can find it by looking up BF2 performance tweaks on Google, I'm sure you'll find it, although its kindda long and boring, but it helps. If you want to play online, be assured it runs much faster than single player, but make sure to log on to high ping servers and have fast internet(385Kb is pretty good 128Kg is reasonable).

My PC is full of contradictions :) LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Archived