Home

Good movies you've seen recently

VampireNaomi

Have you caught any good movies lately?

Yesterday I happened to turn the TV on while Curse of the Jade Scorpion was on. The best movie I've seen in a long time! It took place in the 40's and told about an insurance detective C.W Briggs who likes old-fashioned working methods. Then a new female executive comes to the office and wants to modernize everything. The two instantly start hating each other.

Things get more complicated when the two are hypnotized to steal jewels without remembering it afterwards. It was a really funny movie that made me laugh without doing anything silly, had brilliant dialogue, an endless amount of wise cracks and a soundtrack mostly consisting of jazz. Great stuff and really reminded me of some of the old movies.

So, how about you?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I borrowed some of my brother's extensive DVD collection. One of the movies I watch was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This is probably the best love story I have ever seen. It's about a couple who break up and the woman gets all her memories of her ex erased. When the guy finds out about this, he too undergoes the procedure. However, during the procedure he remembers why he loves her and then tries to save his memories. Most of the movie occurs in the guy's mind where he literally runs away from his distingrating memory and hides in other parts of his mind. It's very strange and innovative. Definately a new favouriote. Oh and don't be put off by. Jim Carrey, he's actually very good and plays role quite different to his comedy ones.

Have you caught any good movies lately?

Yesterday I happened to turn the TV on while Curse of the Jade Scorpion was on. The best movie I've seen in a long time! It took place in the 40's and told about an insurance detective C.W Briggs who likes old-fashioned working methods. Then a new female executive comes to the office and wants to modernize everything. The two instantly start hating each other.

Things get more complicated when the two are hypnotized to steal jewels without remembering it afterwards. It was a really funny movie that made me laugh without doing anything silly, had brilliant dialogue, an endless amount of wise cracks and a soundtrack mostly consisting of jazz. Great stuff and really reminded me of some of the old movies.

Yeah, I saw that movie too, and I agree with you - it was a great movie :). I also recently saw 'Dude, Where's My Car?' on DVD and 'The Man With Two Brains' on TV, both of which I though were pretty funny. I also (not quite so recently) went to the cinema to see King Kong, which was a really breath-taking, exciting movie... although a bit too long (around 3 hours!).

Why yes, actually. I've rented "Super Size Me" and was able to see Pulp Fiction.

1. Super Size Me is obviously a documentary that followed the eating habits of those in America, specifically the fast-food aspect. It followed one man's mission to show how unhealthy this "McDonald's Diet" really is as he ate nothing but that food for 30 days. It quite disgusting and gross when you get down to it, but it had really good insight on the fact that my nation is eating itself into death.

2. Pulp Fiction. Hmm...its really hard to explain this movie except that it details all of the little things you notice in life. Like footrubs and the women's bathroom. To understand what the hell I'm talking about you'll just have to see the movie. Anyway, the movie is mixed in with a lot of base human emotions and portrayal of life. Sometimes it seems almost as if you're right in the scene as the camera is fixed off-center and you can hear and see an argument/conversation/event right off to the side. Also, the camera sometimes lingers for a few seconds longer, leaving an almost sinister and tense feeling rise up.

Of course it always throws some repulsive or vulgar joke in there that can be profound, strangely accurate, or just plain fun.

I wasn't huge on Super Size Me because it seemed a tad pointless. I mean who doesn't know fast food is bad for you? Why make a movie exposing something that's already common knowledge? Then again, maybe it just doesn't hit me because I seldom eat fast food (that isn't Lion's Choice).

I saw a Japanese film called "Last Life in the Universe" and I thought it was quite well done. It was very minimal. I love that, for not much to be going on so you can see how much goes on when not that much goes on...if that makes sense. Basically it's very subtextual and thin. It's also beautifully shot. I highly recommend it.

I wasn't huge on Super Size Me because it seemed a tad pointless. I mean who doesn't know fast food is bad for you? Why make a movie exposing something that's already common knowledge? Then again, maybe it just doesn't hit me because I seldom eat fast food (that isn't Lion's Choice).

I saw a Japanese film called "Last Life in the Universe" and I thought it was quite well done. It was very minimal. I love that, for not much to be going on so you can see how much goes on when not that much goes on...if that makes sense. Basically it's very subtextual and thin. It's also beautifully shot. I highly recommend it.

To answer your question about "Why the movie was made". I've watched the movie and the reason the maker of the movie had was: (he said it in the movie) that because a girl in America had sewed (might be misspelled) some major food chains because they were the cause of some defect she had gotten (she accused them of that), the court came to the conclusion at the end of the trial that fast food "wasen't bad and hadn't caused those defect". Getting to the point: He wanted to show that the fast food can cause serious defects (prove that the court order was wrong).

If you ask me i belive that he made the movie because he wanted some fast credits.

Back on topic, an good movie that i recently watched is Seven Samurai, yes, i know it's old but i still enjoyed it. It seemed more Authenthic then most movie nowadays made about samurais and the like.

A few days ago I saw the movie derived from H. P. Lovecraft's short story, Dagon. The movie was very well written and the dialogues aren't corny at all, exept the ending of the movie when it turns into a "I AM YOUR FATHER" scene. The special effects are pretty, alas, it is a low buget movie, but it captivates you, pulls you deep into the mobid imagination of H.P. Lovecraft. And I really liked the ending(s), it isn't a happy end, but it's rather original, I mean I never saw a ending like that (don't watch just the ending, watch the whole movie damn it!). Anyway I recomend it to those cult classic maniacs, horror movie lovers or H.P. Lovecraft fans, hope you like it as much as I did.

Have any of you seen the Star Terk/Babylon 5 parody that a group of fans made? The acting sucks, but it's a very charming movie nevertheless. You can really see their love for the originals behind it. Besides, it's free.

Even if you hate scifi, it's worth checking out the trailer. It amused even me, even though I'm not really a fan of the genre.

Yes I am a Clive Barker fan, first I saw Hellraiser, then I got the whole series (there are 8 Hellraiser movies for those that don't know, and the last two movies are filmed here, in Romania - Bucharest and in the ending of the 7th movie there is a chick reporting the news that happens to be the sister of a good friend of mine... preatty cool, huh?). After that, I purchesed one of his books, Cabal, then I saw the movie, Nightbreed. And now I'm trying to get a hold of Lord Of Illusions. If anybody knows any other movies directed by him or characters based on his sick imagination, please let me know.

P.S. I loved Clive Barker's Undying...

I've only seen Hellraiser (which is a favorite horror film among my whole family), a handful of the Hellraiser sequels which were either hits or misses (mostly misses) and Nightbreed (pretty cool, though I'm not sure I would base an album off of it [esoteric reference, let's see if you caught it]) But I'd like to get into him more, as I keep seeing interviews which reinforce the fact he's about as creative as they get.

I really want to read Abarat, the illustrations are amazing and the storyline seems pretty cool.

Well, since I'm on vacation, I watch at least a movie per day; though the number might reach up to three, if I have nothing better to do.

But since this is a "Good Movies" thread, only a few are worth it.

-Blood and Sand, 1922; silent cinema (which I really enjoy). Pretty good movie about a matador/toreador, which was deeper than wht I expected. I was disappointed with Rudolph Valentino's work, but it is still good.

-Intolerance, 1916; directed by DW Griffith (in case you don't know him, he was a kind of Peter Jackson; regarding the cost of his films, that is, for Griffith's work is much better) it's a hostorical view of humanity's intolerance, during different ages. The movie is a comeback to those who criticised Birth of a Nation's racism.

-Other Silent films, which you couldn't care less about.

-Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas; this movie has been discussed in the David Lynch thread. It's very good, but somewhat weird.

-Reservoir Dogs; 1992, Tarantino film. It's about a group of strangers who try to perform a crime and things go wrong, but it's very 'theatrical' or exaggerated ona way. Quentin's best, in my opinion.

-Barton Fink; 1991 but dated in the 40s (how can I hate a movie with a good story set during this spectacular decade?), it is an ironic tale about a successfull and intellectual writer who decides to go to work in Hollywood. It's a very close description of what I think of the American Film Industry, and the people who run it. It gets quite strange about the ending.

-The Sting; 1973. Just caught this one yeasterday; with Robert Redford and Paul Newman. Another one which takes place around the 30s; and, according to IMDB, it's about a young con man seeking revenge for his murdered partner who teams up with a master of the big con to win a fortune from a criminal banker. It's mere entertainment however.

And I could go on, but who gives a damn.

Also, spelling mistakes, they are thanks to the keyboard I'm using.

• 2 weeks later...

First time seeing pulp fiction, eh? Care to share your thoughts on it?

I just saw "Memphis Belle", a WWII movie revolving around the crew of a bomber going on her last mission before they're sent home. The character development was pretty intense.

Tonight it'll be "The Treasure of Sierra Madre", starring Humphrey Bogart. I'm very excited. :^:

I recently saw For a Few Dollars More again, and the ending is just perfect like all the endings in the Spaghetti Westerns. It's not just the actual duel itself but the soundtrack is just beautiful, first the clock chimes and then how it goes into that chorus. A perfect ending to a perfect western.

I'd highly recommend it.

I recently saw For a Few Dollars More again, and the ending is just perfect like all the endings in the Spaghetti Westerns. It's not just the actual duel itself but the soundtrack is just beautiful, first the clock chimes and then how it goes into that chorus. A perfect ending to a perfect western.

I'd highly recommend it.

I was just going to post the same thing to-day. I caught that movie yesterday, it is indeed an amazing film; though the last one of that trilogy is the best of them, I think.

If you liked the soundtrack, check out the score of Outlaws, another amazing Lucasarts game.

There's nothing better than a Spaghetti Western, entertainment-wise.

I hesitate to mention a movie that has been all over the news but this movie has such an effect on me, it was Brokeback Mountain. Definately one of the saddest, most tragic movies I've seen, a tale of true regret and loneliness. After watching it left a giant hole in me emotionally and I have'nt stopped thinking about the movie since.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd highly recommend it.

Just showed FFDM on a local station here late at night, much better then some of the tripe they usually play.

I saw Disney's "Emperor's New Groove" a few days ago and loved it. I'm a huge Disney fan in any case, but this one was delightfully different from their other movies. No romance, only one song (though I usually love the musical parts in their movies, they wouldn't have fit into this movie) and the animation was really simple and edgy. It was very funny as well and I'm sure even Disney haters might like it on some level.

^^I loved Emperor's New Groove, it's my favourite Disney animated movie (apart from the Pixar Films). I agree that it is very different to other Disney movies. It had edgy, somtimes adult, humour, a lot of sarcasm, cynicism and great visual styling. Just thinking about makes me want to watch it again.

I'm starting to think VampireNaomi and I share similar taste in comedies (was it you who also loved Kung Pow?)

The humour in Emperor's New Groove was very similar to many of the Disney TV series. Timon & Pumbaa and the one in which Donald Duck had a boss called Kent Powers come to mind.

Yes, I love Kung Pow! It cracks me up every time. Master Pa-- um, Betty, is a hilarious character. What other comedies do you like? I worship Mel Brooks and many of the 80's comedies, like Airplane (though wasn't that late 70's?).

I hate movies like American Pie or Animal because I don't think extreme sexual jokes are funny. I can't remember whether it was Animal or some other movie, but it had the main character get some animal traits and then he started lusting after a goat that was in heat. How is that funny? It's just distasteful.

A few days ago I saw the movie derived from H. P. Lovecraft's short story, Dagon. The movie was very well written and the dialogues aren't corny at all, exept the ending of the movie when it turns into a "I AM YOUR FATHER" scene. The special effects are pretty, alas, it is a low buget movie, but it captivates you, pulls you deep into the mobid imagination of H.P. Lovecraft. And I really liked the ending(s), it isn't a happy end, but it's rather original, I mean I never saw a ending like that (don't watch just the ending, watch the whole movie damn it!). Anyway I recomend it to those cult classic maniacs, horror movie lovers or H.P. Lovecraft fans, hope you like it as much as I did.
I saw that movie on the Scifi channel a while back. I thought it was pretty cool, my brother hated it. That may be because I went around saying, "DAGON! DAGON! DAGON!" for a while after that... :D

I saw Wedding Crasher recently....greatest movie ever. The movie was so ****in' funny.
That's a great movie. :D

I saw Disney's "Emperor's New Groove" a few days ago and loved it. I'm a huge Disney fan in any case, but this one was delightfully different from their other movies. No romance, only one song (though I usually love the musical parts in their movies, they wouldn't have fit into this movie) and the animation was really simple and edgy. It was very funny as well and I'm sure even Disney haters might like it on some level.
That's my favorite Disney movie evar. It didn't seem to be oriented towards kids that much, strangely enough. I loved it though. :)

Yes, I love Kung Pow! It cracks me up every time. Master Pa-- um, Betty, is a hilarious character.
"You will call me... BETTY!" That movie is so off the wall it's insane. GOPHERCHUCKS! :D

You seen any of the other shorts by Steve Oedekerk?

Archived